Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:43 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Really? I started one. Very easy.

Admittedly, it didn't make me a lot of money, but the act of starting it was trivial.
Key words.... "didn't make me a lot of money". Obviously you didn't do things right, (the list is large) and didn't have the product or service that was needed or wanted.

You should have Obama or Liz Warren help you "build that".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 11:48 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
There is no doubt that people are holding back because of so much uncertainty from change in both investing and hiring. From wall street to main street this is true if one observes. But I think looking forward one can not expect the job creation when much of laws passed is to restrict credit standards and tighten them to prevent what we saw in recent past. For example we do not want housing to recover to past bubble rates caused by bad loans on easy credit.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:52 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Barriers to entry come in all forms and sizes. For some it may be the upfront money required to obtain a lease, purchase inventory, hire employees, etc. to open a storefront. For others it may be the state and local fees and charges associated with incorporating, etc.

As the old saying goes, "it takes money to make money." It's quite unfortunate how many good ideas go unrealized because of the various barriers to entry.
But liberals put up those barriers to entry to ensure only the agreeable opportunities succeed. How dare you question their suppression of marginal enterprises?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:53 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Why do we need jobs? Those damn corporations are here to enslave us and siphon our resource and wealth.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why do we need jobs? Those damn corporations are here to enslave us and siphon our resource and wealth.
Yea after all, people would be happy to live on welfare and the standard of living welfare affords right?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
I read the intro after attempting multiple links until I found a live one and the methodology went something like this.

"Doing Business records all procedures officially required, or commonly done in practice, for an entrepreneur to start up and formally operate an industrial or commercial business."

I think is pretty safe to say that if you are starting a business in an underdeveloped country like Rwanda or a post communist dictatorship like Belarus common business practices and official commercial regulation are going to be the least of your worries.

Their methodology ignores the 800 pound gorilla in the room which would be corruption, in fact they note that they are specifically not looking at bribery or bribes, which should send up alarm bells to anyone who has done business in much of the developing world. Without addressing that make or break issue this list is basically fiction, likely produced to impact US regulation rather then actually compare global business efficiency.
I often question these studies as well because anyone can open up a business here within minutes.

You just sell something, collect the income and operate as a DBA. No need to register anything.

You can do things like get corporations filed etc, but its not required.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yea after all, people would be happy to live on welfare and the standard of living welfare affords right?
We all know that the more people we have living on welfare, the more prosperious we are as a nation. Things like food stamps, welfare, unemployment, all stimulate the economy.

I think everyone should quit their jobs, we'd become the most prosperious nation in the world overnight.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
small business just had their income redistributed to big business under the guise of "taxing the rich", the fiscal cliff deal Obama insisted on. Many small businesses may not survive it and will close, less jobs and big business is happy with that. They want to be the only game in town. Less competition for product and services, and less competition for employees. What does this mean, it is an employers market which means they can pay you less.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I often question these studies as well because anyone can open up a business here within minutes.

You just sell something, collect the income and operate as a DBA. No need to register anything.

You can do things like get corporations filed etc, but its not required.
And its not like its all that hard to register a corporation. If you know the formalities for something like a basic LLC its pretty straight forward.

I also thought it was funny that they listed a lot of southeast Asian countries as difficult places to start a business. Folks tend not to follow business regulations in a lot of those countries, instead they tend to slip the right civil servant an envelope and the regulations become flexible. Something this study ignores.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
We all know that the more people we have living on welfare, the more prosperious we are as a nation. Things like food stamps, welfare, unemployment, all stimulate the economy.

I think everyone should quit their jobs, we'd become the most prosperious nation in the world overnight.
Who the hell wants to grow the business and take on more responsibility and the government takes too much money.

lol, I agree, I am not busting my butt only for government to take way too much of my earnings. Lets all quit and go on welfare!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies