Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:11 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
A buddy of mine that is a former marine is a better shot than most cops.
The only former Marine is onw who has been dishonorably discharged. Same goes for ex-Marine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 09:11 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Not from this southpaw, L-A. I think people need to be trained in the safe use of a firearm, but it seems some folks are learning disabled.
Exactly. Some people will make mistakes despite any and all training. The Framers knew this.

And they still made an ironclad law forbidding government from taking away or restricing anyone's right to keep and bear arms... despite knowing that occasionally some cop will shot himself in the leg (some twice), and even though they knew that the occasional whacko will grab enough firepower to blow away half a dozen people.

They knew that, despite these inevitable events, the country was STILL safer with all law-abiding people allowed to carry guns, than it would be with government having the authority to decide who can own/carry and who can't.

And they were right... as the people who disagree are wrong.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:14 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Hey if we are making up random facts, how about this

- Most civilians are better at surgery than surgical doctors.

go to Camp Perry sometime and see who usually wins the shoots there. go to an IPSC sometimes and see who wins those. civilians and sometimes even military, but rarely do cops even show up, why you might ask? they do not want it known that their skills in firearms really suck.

I am not saying that every civilian is a Sgt. York shooter, but on average, the average civilian is a better shooter than cops are.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Statistically the police can be thought to be more likely safer. which means many police are not safer. The stories are legion of such irresponsible behavior but statistically they are safer, not individually.

Like the Plainfield cop who wanted to get military experience to boost his career opportunity. Gave him a going away party and he was mugging for the camera by holding his gun to his partner's head......a bad thing then happened.

then you have the sherrif who told a reporter you can just shoot a guy in the leg to wound him....oops! the sewer pipe of the circulatory system runs that way and any breeech in the artery wall will ensure death within minutes if not seconds.

The there was the cop who put the deer out of its misery by shooting it in the jaw and telling me, " I shot it in the brain and it will die in a few minutes". I encouraged him to shoot again and low and behold he did hit the brain. From this you might conclude that the police force does not include the brightest bulbs in the pack so safety might be a downstream problem.

Make no mistake while everyone has a right to bear arms, more civilians than not shouldn't have children, let alone a gun. 'A man has to know his limitations' or the government will step in and tell him what his limitations are.

There are civilians that have the expertise, ability and are more responsible than most police.

Gun saftey requires obsessiveness and a belief that a firearm is never unloaded even after you unload it.

Any news article which claims a person accidentally shot themselves while cleaning a gun is disguising a suicide.

Have a great news article frm the the local paper archives about 1935ish. Where a guy tried to shoot himself with a shotgun and just got winged. He told the cops he was claening the gun but the police doubted his story as a string was still tied to the trigger.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:36 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
And now we know why.
The police in Great Britain very rarely shoot any one/

Police officers in England and Wales opened fire just five times for the year 2011/12. Out of these incidents, two people were killed.

In the four years to 2012, armed officers officers opened fire 18 times - nine fatally. No-one was shot dead by police in 2012/13.

The two fatalities in 2011/12 emerged from 12,550 operations during the same period, in which firearms officers were on the scene and had been given authorisation to open fire, even though they did not, according to the latest Home Office stats.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:47 AM

46,955 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Make no mistake while everyone has a right to bear arms, more civilians than not shouldn't have children, let alone a gun. 'A man has to know his limitations' or the government will step in and tell him what his limitations are.
What, common sense in a gun thread? And you're of course right. I look at the behavior of people who've been entrusted with the responsibility of maneuvering a car around others, and it doesn't exactly fill me with hope for the capacity to safely handle firearms at all, let alone in a self-defense high-stress scenario.

Quote:
Any news article which claims a person accidentally shot themselves while cleaning a gun is disguising a suicide.
Or just basic goofing around. "It went off while I was cleaning it" is a little less humiliating than "It went off when I was pretending to be Chuck Norris in front of a mirror".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies