Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 08:45 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I don't disagree with everything you say in fact I agree with some of it. But when it comes to saying if one makes $80k a year they will naturally want to make $100k a year well not always true. Not always true if one considers what one might have to sacrifice to make more money.

For instance one could reach for top management in a company maybe even vice prez if not CEO. But what would one might have to sacrifice to achieve that? Probably time most of all. Living to work, 7 days a week, sacrifice family and a social life all for the dream of more money? Looking back later in life will it be fulfilling to say I made lots of money that is my life achievement?

Agree, but if people don't want to do what it takes to earn more they can't expect it to materialize just because.

Seems to me if one is going to sacrifice family, social life, and many of the things that actually equate into having a rich life it should be for a passion and goal other than just money which while money is needed and nice a rich person without having actually lived life is really a poor soul. I can understand a person like Einstein or a musician or designer or scientist or artist that is driven by the need to know to make, to express but I can't understand while its their choice , the person who believes the meaning of life is to be as monetarily rich as can be because the old saying is true money doesn't buy love and it doesn't buy happiness.

I agree that people might not want to give up family, social life etc to become rich but for those who for whatever reason choose to reach higher should not be punished either.

I really don't care how rich someone is and I am not envious if they are billionaire or so good for them but for others that believe in balance in life between having to make money and personal time for life those people should be able to live a decent balanced life within their means but more and more that is not the case and while government is the problem often one can't dismiss the fact that business or corporation seek to exploit also for instance the fact that the hospital and health care industry prefer to not have to compete and use (bribe) government to enact laws to protect them from having to compete in a real open market. Health being the thing that even the ordinary person shouldn't have to sell their life away to pay for. Those rich people who look to fix prices do hurt and step on others to gain more vastly wealth.

Exploit? When someone goes on a job interview they are making an agreement to exchange their service for x pay. That's their choice.
^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
For those wondering why I'm not responding to pnwmdk its because he is on my ignore list, and a troll. He usually responds with meaningless one liners. unhiding his messages shows me...nothings changed.
greywar definition of troll - someone who doesn't agree with him. gray war made up his mind he is right and will not budge. hmmm reminds me of Obama.

Obama is only a know it all when he is trying to reach deeper in our pockets, otherwise he learned about it the same time we do.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I sympathize with the construction worker or painter or so on that once made a decent wage while his boss or company owner rightfully made more but who then was left in the dust when that boss or owner decided it was easier money to hire a illegal or foreigner instead of advancing the business by providing a superior product or service which was once the believed proper way of enjoy the fruit of your labor by being better than the other which still left those under them working in a satisfying grade scale.

Now the construction worker or call center operator is faced with the fact that his or her boss fired them and hired Julio or some Indian named person in India who is willing to work for less than half the wages while still faced with the needs of life like paying a doctors bill that his or her even richer now boss by saving wage payouts can pay cash for while the average person wonders how to pay for a $1000 a night hospital bed or doubled insurance bill.

That now globalization problem being brought on by both parties and by both corporate and government coming together to pay off and scratch each other. So to see each side blame the other one saying only government is the culprit the other blaming greedy business the way I see it depending on the situation like health care and immigration we the ordinary people get screwed by both of them.
Yep but isn't it liberals and democrats that want to let them all in?

Old 01-22-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I hope you are being sarcastic. In the real world when you call a help line for a company and someone with a Indian accent in India answers the phone that isn't about technology that's about firing Betty the American operator who made $10 a hour to hire someone who calls herself Betty for the sake who does the job for $3 if that, a hour. CEO and shareholders of the companies just saved $7 a hour for themselves while the real Betty wonders what to do now.
So the answer is to increase cost to employ people in the U.S. and send employers running to India lol.. sure ok.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Statement: The US has over a 1/4 of the world's wealth.

Question: Do you feel bad about that? Bad enough to make it right? If yes, to what lengths should the US go in order to even it out? Would you be willing to surrender half your and all the people you know and love's money to ensure that the citizens of Chad are more on par with you?

Are you ready to admit your hypocrisy?

Aside: For all the bashing we collectively like to inflict on successive presidents, congresses, the courts, the Fed, etc etc - this country WORKS (SUCCEEDS). Does Chad succeed as a country? Not so much.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:46 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
If you cannot objectively define "Income Inequality" in no uncertain terms, then how can anyone possibly recognize it?

What....you're going to be the Arbiter of Equality?

I don't think so.....especially when you have committed the Fallacy of Equivocation.

You can't fix something that does not exist, and which you cannot objectively define in no uncertain terms.

How do we know when a rape has been committed?

Do we flip a coin, or do we look at the nearest tree and count the number of birds in it.....an even number of birds is rape; odd number of birds no rape; if the birds fly out of the tree whilst counting, it's sexual assault and not rape.

There's a reason why we objectively define things in no uncertain terms.

The fact that you and the other Left-Wingers repeatedly fail or refuse to objectively define "Income Inequality" proves it to be a canard; a sham; a fantasy.

Oh, sure let's punish the Givers in our Society and reward the Takers.

No...Penis Envy and Butt/Breast-Implant Envy.

If people like you spent as much time learning and helping their communities as you do jealously obsessing over something you don't even understand....much less can define...the World might actually be a decent sometimes.

You don't even know what Wealth is, and can't even define it.

Created by an individual, not Society.

You don't even know what Capital is.

Capital is cash, credit, vehicles, machines, buildings, facilities, land when used to produce, labor, raw materials, processed materials in any state, semi-finished goods and parts in any state.

As a farmer, it's real hard to make money if you don't have land --Capital -- or draught animals -- Capital --- or farm implements or machinery --- Capital --- or storage facilities like barns and silos -- Capital.

You cannot solve a problem that has not been objectively defined.

You keep claiming the Easter Bunny is real, uh, I meant, "Income Inequality" is real, but refuse to define it, and then you keep claiming that the Great Pumpkin is a problem, uh, sorry, "Income Inequality" is a problem, yet you've provide no concrete evidence to support your ridiculous claims.

Still waiting....

Mircea
People who want a definition of something do so because they have no other valid argument. They do not want to argue a point they want to attack the individuals so they make up ridiculous requests. Here is the definition Economic inequality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Income Inequality by it self is not bad doctors should get more then janitors but when it gets to one sided bag things happen.

Last edited by Storm Eagle; 01-23-2014 at 12:54 AM..

Old 01-23-2014, 12:52 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
To me it is sad that employers think of their employees as stealing if they want raises but they are not stealing from the company if they increase their wages. How greedy and selfish we have become as a society where we only care about ourselves? I mean if Bob can not afford to live on what he makes and becomes homeless who cares I have a nice house a nice car. This is not just selfish it is downright evil.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
To me it is sad that employers think of their employees as stealing if they want raises but they are not stealing from the company if they increase their wages. How greedy and selfish we have become as a society where we only care about ourselves? I mean if Bob can not afford to live on what he makes and becomes homeless who cares I have a nice house a nice car. This is not just selfish it is downright evil.
greed, selfish, evil, words frequently used from the left. All words of emotion with no use of common sense.

What employers say it is stealing to want raises? They pay according what the market pays for your skill set. Competition for your skill set plays a roll in that too. And sorry, your raise went to the government in the form of higher taxes.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Statements like this are totally meaningless and solve nothing.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:43 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
The top 85 people richest in this world own more than half the entire
world's population. (3.5 billion). The top 1% own 65X more than that
same half.

Is there not something wrong with this ?
How many of you are still foolish enough to believe
that it has anything to do with merit ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies