Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Squirrels do not hibernate.
Some do.

Animals that Hibernate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 05:23 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
The OP wants to say that the warm weather out west is GW but the cold weather in the midwest and east is nothing to look at keep moving, don't look behind the curtain. If GW is real put out all the evidence good or bad for your side and let us decide. But instead both sides push and agenda. Its like trying to get news from MSNBC and FOX. It ain't going to happen.
Nope, my point was they are two sides of the same coin. Check out that video I posted upthread about arctic warming and the jet stream.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:33 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's been in the 70s here for about two weeks now, which is highly unusual for the Bay Area in January... that, and I saw a few cherry blossoms in full bloom (usually doesn't happen until March-April). I don't know much about climate change, but this has sure been a weird winter! And if it doesn't rain soon, we'll have no crops left.
It has been above freezing (it is currently 37°F) in south central Alaska for the last week. However, that is not unusual for south central Alaska in January. It regularly gets into the +40°F and +50°F range during January in south central Alaska.

I am sure everyone has heard of the polar vortex over Canada this winter, but what they were not told is that there are actually two polar vortexes. The second one is over Siberia. When these polar vortexes break down they bring up a lot of warm air from the south. In Alaska we call them the Chinook Winds, and they are hurricane force. It can literally go from -20°F to +55°F overnight.

Agriculture is also beginning to boom in Alaska. It used to be that Alaska only grew primarily hay, straw, and oats. But over the years more arable land has become available and we grow considerably more now. So much so, that Governor Parnell has sponsored an initiative to make Alaska as self-sufficient as possible in regards to food. The less we import, the lower the cost, and the higher our standard of living.

Alaska now grows:
  • Barley;
  • Basil;
  • Beans;
  • Beets;
  • Broccoli;
  • Brussels Sprouts;
  • Cauliflower;
  • Carrots;
  • Cabbage;
  • Cucumbers;
  • Kohlrabi;
  • Lettuce;
  • Onions;
  • Parsley;
  • Parsnips;
  • Potatoes;
  • Radishes;
  • Spinach;
  • Squash;
  • Sugar Snap Peas;
  • Tomatoes;
  • Turnips;
  • Snow Peas;
  • Zucchini;
  • Apples;
  • Currants;
  • Raspberries;
  • Rhubarb;
  • Strawberries;
  • Milk;
  • Honey;
  • Eggs;
  • Beef;
  • Pigs;
  • Turkey;
  • Geese;
  • Ducks;
  • Chickens; and
  • Reindeer.
And the list is still expanding.

It is also very common for bears to wake up, several times, from their hibernation during the winter. Bears hibernate during the winter, but are not sleeping the whole time. Hibernation for bears simply means they do not need to eat or drink, and rarely urinate or defecate (or not at all). There is strong evolutionary pressure for bears to stay in their dens during winter, if there is little or no food available. But bears will leave their dens on occasion, particularly when their den gets flooded or is badly damaged.

Weather does play a role. In the colder, northern parts of Alaska, bears hibernate about seven months of the year. Bears in the warmer, coastal regions of the State hibernate for two to five months, with the longer hibernation time for bears raising newborn cubs.

Last edited by Glitch; 01-23-2014 at 05:51 AM..

Old 01-23-2014, 06:17 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,310 times
I have seen cold snowy winters and warm pleasant winters.

I have seen hot dry summers and cool very wet summers.

We call it weather.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I have seen cold snowy winters and warm pleasant winters.

I have seen hot dry summers and cool very wet summers.

We call it weather.
I remember one winter during the 1990s when Anchorage, Kentucky, had more snow and colder temperatures than Anchorage, Alaska.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:48 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
The OP wants to say that the warm weather out west is GW but the cold weather in the midwest and east is nothing to look at keep moving, don't look behind the curtain. If GW is real put out all the evidence good or bad for your side and let us decide. But instead both sides push and agenda. Its like trying to get news from MSNBC and FOX. It ain't going to happen.
As the links I posted earlier shows, it appears the temps are pretty much spot on the average temps.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:57 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
I'm a little tired of them hyping this up as a severe winter, frankly. Its been seasonably cold and we've had some decent snow storms but the late 70's, early 90's and early 2000's was much worse. 15 degrees below zero here in SE Pa, then two feet of snow.
The only thing that has me somewhat perplexed are the snowy owls that have come south. I've heard two explanations. One was that the tundra where they normally range have had nice weather and that meant an abundance of food prey for them and their numbers exploded. Now there's too many owls and not enough food. Okay, that sounds possible.
The other explanation is that its just too harsh and cold for them and they've been forced south to find food and to escape the weather. That also sounds possible. The problem is that you have two conflicting political sides pushing two different theories and neither one is exactly " science friendly" or credible.
My own theory is that Hogwarts is having a major enrollment push.
We have droughts and then deluges and rainy spells. Cold snaps and heat waves. Neither side is going to convince anybody they can prove what they claim.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'm a little tired of them hyping this up as a severe winter, frankly. Its been seasonably cold and we've had some decent snow storms but the late 70's, early 90's and early 2000's was much worse. 15 degrees below zero here in SE Pa, then two feet of snow.
The only thing that has me somewhat perplexed are the snowy owls that have come south. I've heard two explanations. One was that the tundra where they normally range have had nice weather and that meant an abundance of food prey for them and their numbers exploded. Now there's too many owls and not enough food. Okay, that sounds possible.
The other explanation is that its just too harsh and cold for them and they've been forced south to find food and to escape the weather. That also sounds possible. The problem is that you have two conflicting political sides pushing two different theories and neither one is exactly " science friendly" or credible.
My own theory is that Hogwarts is having a major enrollment push.
We have droughts and then deluges and rainy spells. Cold snaps and heat waves. Neither side is going to convince anybody they can prove what they claim.
The winter of 2011-2012 was particularly bad for owls. The snowfall that winter broke records all over Alaska and Canada, which is what caused the problem for the owls. Owls hunt mice, voles, and shrews by listening for them under the snow. If the snow is too deep, then the owl goes hungry.

It certainly is not too cold for them. It is currently +37°F north of Anchorage, Alaska.

It is not the science that is the problem. It is the solution the Anthropological Global Warming hoaxers want to implement. They believe that only by more government regulation and taxation can the problem be solved. The Anthropological Global Warming hoaxers are merely using the issue as a vehicle to implement more control over people. They have absolutely no interest in the environment or improving conditions, it is entirely about controlling the masses.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:27 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
We will note......the article leads off with a photo from August.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
The middle ages saw one drought after another in California and the SW US in general. Some of them lasted for 70 years.

For that matter, there were droughts more severe than the 1930's dust bowl drought on 2 occasios in the latter half of the 19th century.

The weather for that area of the country has been abnormally wet since then, particularly after 1940.

It won't last. Precipitation levels will revert to the mean eventually. If the enduring droughts return to CA, there will be a mass exodus from that state.

The AGW fraudsters will blame it on CO2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies