Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:31 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Anyone who takes a politician at their word deserves the government they get.
The problem is that the overwhelming wave of support for Obama's hope and change bamboozled young people into voting overwhelmingly for him based on empty promises. Now we ALL have to deal with the fallout of this mess, thanks to the easily manipulated drones who bought into (and some still believe) his lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 08:58 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
You're talking about Medi-Cal which is the state version of Medicaid. BTW EVERY hospital will provide references to doctors in your area as to local doctors which accept Medicaid or any other specific type of insurance (including private insurance companies which allow out of network care). It is not hard to just pick up the phone.

Also the source linked to in the OP is a questionable one known to often lie for partisan reasons (they've lied about the Benghazi attack, about WMD in Iraq, and virtually everything else which is politically partisan to lie about).
[MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-26-2014 at 08:48 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 09:18 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You've set a really high standard for evaluating Ocare --- nobody's dying in the streets.

After 23 days and Aetna is already concerned it will have to drop out of Ocare ---

"Are they going to be double-digit [increases] or are we going to get beat up because they're double-digit or are we just going to have to pull out of the program?" Bertolini asked in a "Squawk Box" interview from the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. "Those questions can't be answered until we see the population we have today. And we really don't have a good view on that."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101354183

Despite all the provisions for bailing out insurers, why would they trust the feds to follow through once the general public realizes Ocare is a financial wreck and is outraged over the bailouts.
Aetna along with Humana are complaining because the ACA isnt the gravytrain that they have had with Medicare Advantage. At some point the government has to say no to the insurance companies and all their million dollar execs. Interesting how they had to have 114% of Medicare to survive but now that the 14% premium is being taken away they can survive with 100%. The Aetna CEO was paid 36 million last year much of that coming from taxpayers through Medicare and other government programs.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Aetna along with Humana are complaining because the ACA isnt the gravytrain that they have had with Medicare Advantage. At some point the government has to say no to the insurance companies and all their million dollar execs. Interesting how they had to have 114% of Medicare to survive but now that the 14% premium is being taken away they can survive with 100%. The Aetna CEO was paid 36 million last year much of that coming from taxpayers through Medicare and other government programs.
They had enough trouble passing the Ocare convoluted mess with the D's in power. What makes you optimistic that the government can go even further and say no to insurers, hospitals, pharma.

A public option ? Obama and the D's caved. Single payer ? I think the politicians like Obama, Reid, Pelosi, Kucinich, Sanders, etc. who saw Ocare as the 1st step miscalculated.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
If you run a Google search using the words "cant find a doctor" you find this case and one other reported by Fox. This is 23 days into the new year. By now we were told the wheels would have fallen off the ACA and emergency rooms would have been swamped, people wouldnt be able to find doctors, and others would by dying in the street. What happened?? Maybe Fox news can tell us.

The vast majority of the enrollees so far in Obamacare have been Medicaid patients.

Given the very small number of people who have actually signed up across the nation, there has not been an "overload" to the medical system. I would offer that few, if any, physicians are accepting the new medicaid patients or the lower reimbursing plans.

The real "fireworks" will come when the employer mandate arrives. The libs delayed the implementation one year (illegally- Obama cannot just mandate laws) so that they would not get slaughtered in the November elections. I say that is good, as it will be more fresh on the minds of the voters in 2016. Maybe even liberals will wake up (unlikely).

Old 01-25-2014, 05:26 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:

I wonder how many thought that their health care was supposed to be free? LOL
Nobody I know, but I don't run around with no nothings. I do know someone who is getting health insurance FREE because he qualifies for medical. He was surprised by that actually. And it's not all that great, basic community health clinic stuff, but it's better than nothing which is what he had last year.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:39 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
I purchased insurance through the exchange in December with Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Illinois, and they cashed my check immediately, but nearly four weeks later I have yet to receive my ID card or information packet. I have been unable to get through to customer service because the wait is hours long. But I did get a response to my e-mail advising me that they are so overwhelmed by the number of new enrollees that they have a large backlog, and they asked for patience as they steadily worked through it.

I was able to print a temporary ID card from my online account to use if I need it, so it's all good, but it sure does sound like maybe they got more new business than they anticipated.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:12 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
"For patients, he made a sweeping pledge that “no matter how we reform health care, we will keep this promise: If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. Period. If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what. My view is that health care reform should be guided by a simple principle: fix what’s broken and build on what works.”

-- Barack Obama, 2009

Obama: ‘If You Like Your Doctor, You Can Keep Your Doctor’ - Washington Wire - WSJ

Of course, we all know now what a "promise" from Obama is worth. But we took him for his word then.
But, but, but.....he M.I.S.P.O.K.E.

Poor, pitiful, lying creature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This article and the video left out pretty much every detail that would be needed to even discuss the situation. I wonder why? This is a problem with her insurance company, which isn't called 'obamacare'.
lol. No more need be said. Just lol.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:59 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
After Enrolling in Obamacare, California Woman Can't Find Doctor
That's the part of Obamacare that Pelosi said they'd have to pass in order to see what's in it

Old 01-26-2014, 01:02 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
My favorite part of obamacare is how companies got excused from insuring people but those who don't have insurance still have to pay a fine. And the constitution says We the People run the government.
Corporations and the wealthy now run the government - a conservative supreme court gave them that power. Question is, why do you all blame the "left"?
You know how insurance works? A large pool of healthy people pay for a smaller pool of the sick. That's why total participation is needed, and the fine is actually a low-cost break. Otherwise, many people will initially opt out then demand treatment at the expense of others when they get sick or have an accident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
"For patients, he made a sweeping pledge that “no matter how we reform health care, we will keep this promise: If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. Period. If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what. My view is that health care reform should be guided by a simple principle: fix what’s broken and build on what works.”

-- Barack Obama, 2009

Obama: ‘If You Like Your Doctor, You Can Keep Your Doctor’ - Washington Wire - WSJ

Of course, we all know now what a "promise" from Obama is worth. But we took him for his word then.
You righties keep bringing up this same Fox talking point, so I'll address it yet again.
Obamacare stipulates you can keep your present insurance company, and that is true. However it doesn't say your junk provider can't drop you - it retains that "freedom", and that's the old free-market way favored by conservatives.
Yeah, the old system favored by right-wingers is that unregulated corporate providers should be able to drop you on a whim, for any reason, without government interference. So what's the problem??

Obamacare doesn't drop anybody, the corporations still have that option. You righties don't like single-payer or a public option, so just continue to deal with a corporate system.
BTW, insurance companies are a big part of the conservative political base and they are not complaining. The very system was devised by the right-wing Heritage Foundation and implemented in Massachusetts as Romneycare.
Obamacare is a conservative program. Just like "no-fault" auto insurance, it is a wet sloppy kiss to corporations.
http://theweek.com/article/index/250...t-conservatism

Last edited by detwahDJ; 01-26-2014 at 02:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies