Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:43 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times

Advertisements

correcting poor english is now 'micro-aggression'

Students defend professor after sit-in over racial climate | Daily Bruin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 09:44 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, you obviously didn't understand what I was getting at. Because I find your rant, and this post as well, to be offensive. Whatever your issues with people of different races and cultures, I believe the professor never had any difficulty understanding any of his students. He did correct students' grammar. And the black students seem to be claiming that his corrections were more laborious against black students, and I've merely pointed out that since we don't have any examples of his corrections of other groups, we cannot judge the validity of the black students claim of unfair treatment.
I take offense at your offense. So we are both offensive.

And I did get your point. I chose to overlook it.

Since by looking at educational averages, Asian students excel, thus their language and punctuation must be excellent with maybe some issues of pronunciation since English is not their first language. Most foreign students excel.

That leaves US black people with English as their first language and some suck at pronunciation, punctuation and sentence structure.

That's is fact and not racism.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:47 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Whether or not the students hail from Oakland, California (or not) should be taken into consideration by the professor.
In Oakland, Ebonics is a recognized and legit language.
I suppose that could be useful. Say, if I wanted to buy some crack.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:51 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,103 times

Airplane! - Jive Scene with Translation [1080p] - YouTube

Old 01-24-2014, 03:07 PM

2,962 posts, read 3,530,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
It's sad that a movie like Airplane or Blazing Saddles couldn't be made because of liberal activism today.

Last edited by D-Towner; 01-24-2014 at 03:32 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 03:17 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Did anyone see the amount of red ink on that paper?

How did such students get into UCLA in the first place?

Oh yeah, affirmative action.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:29 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
"I be....."

"You be...."

"We be...."

Improper grammar of that magnitude deserves no respect. Enough said.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Soon there will racial quotas for grammar correction.

It is "unfair" that white or Asian students have less grammar errors then black students, so the professors will be required to invent grammar errors to achieve "equality" and "parity".

Old 01-24-2014, 03:49 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Soon there will racial quotas for grammar correction.

It is "unfair" that white or Asian students have less grammar errors then black students, so the professors will be required to invent grammar errors to achieve "equality" and "parity".
No, they will have to have quotas for admission. Anyone that has too few errors on their admission is rejected. Can't have the ignorant reminded that they are ignorant now, can we? They might feel badly about themselves.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:19 PM

878 posts, read 737,471 times
People, all of this is because of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 created what we now call "Disparate Impact". The logic is as follows:

Blacks may be committing many of the rapes in the U.S., but that does not matter. Why? The fact they are being arrest more than Whites for this crime supposedly indicates there must be underlying racism (not actual crimes committed by blacks).

Applied to the UCLA professor, he may be correcting more blacks than any other (trying to help educate them), but it is seen as racism because the preponderance of corrections are given to blacks.

Disparate Impact. It's everywhere. Blacks cannot be doing anything more negative than any Whites. Disparate Impact is the premise, the assumption, that blacks cannot be behaving any worse than Whites. Anything that makes them look worse than Whites is "Disparate Impact" and will be considered racism.

The result: Under reporting of murders, rapes, robberies, academic performance ... literally anything that might put blacks in negative light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies