Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:08 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

"A man who provided sperm to a lesbian couple in response to an online ad is the father of a child born to one of the women and must pay child support, a Kansas judge ruled Wednesday. Topeka resident William Marotta had argued that he had waived his parental rights and didn’t intend to be a father. Shawnee County District Judge Mary Mattivi rejected that claim, saying the parties didn’t involve a licensed physician in the artificial insemination process and thus Marotta didn’t qualify as a sperm donor."

The lawyer says there was no personal relationship between the donor and the mother or her partner.

More in article.

Judge rules that Kansan who provided sperm to lesbian couple owes child support - KansasCity.com

Does it matter at all that the couple were lesbians? Do you think there are other sperm donors out there shaking over this ruling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 09:16 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"A man who provided sperm to a lesbian couple in response to an online ad is the father of a child born to one of the women and must pay child support, a Kansas judge ruled Wednesday. Topeka resident William Marotta had argued that he had waived his parental rights and didn’t intend to be a father. Shawnee County District Judge Mary Mattivi rejected that claim, saying the parties didn’t involve a licensed physician in the artificial insemination process and thus Marotta didn’t qualify as a sperm donor."

The lawyer says there was no personal relationship between the donor and the mother or her partner.

More in article.

Judge rules that Kansan who provided sperm to lesbian couple owes child support - KansasCity.com

Does it matter at all that the couple were lesbians? Do you think there are other sperm donors out there shaking over this ruling?
How exactly was the sperm transfered? Turkey baster?

Old 01-23-2014, 09:16 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
There are way too many late night jokes in that article.

Not the least of which is: He didn't intend to become a father.

To answer the question: No. When the lessies took possession, they became the owners. And no, it doesn't matter that they were lez. It wasn't a baby when he handed over the goods. If I sell/give someone a car and that person wrecks it and someone dies, it's not my fault. If I give someone a dog and that dog later gets loose and bites someone, it's not my fault. If I sell someone my house and it gets blown away in a tornado, it's not my fault. And so forth and so forth.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:19 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Looks like the state is after him to pay six grand in public assistance. The mother did not divulge his name, and it looks like she is not seeking child support. I guess before somebody does that in the future, they need to check all applicable laws.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:21 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
There are way too many late night jokes in that article.

Not the least of which is: He didn't intend to become a father.

To answer the question: No. When the lessies took possession, they became the owners. It wasn't a baby when he handed over the goods.

It's not the "lessies" that are seeking child support, it's the state. read the article. It's pretty much a DCFS thing.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:22 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Their sexual orientation is immaterial. The problem is that they are now asking for government assistance. The government would rather the parents pay than the taxpayers (as it should be). Mothers don't get to excuse fathers from financial responsibility unless they are completely picking up 100% of the tab themselves - as it should be. Lots of people participate in do-it-yourself sperm donations, they are called one night stands. You better believe I, the taxpayer, want the parents to pay instead of me. If they want to preclude an "anonymous" father from being responsible they need to do the insemination correctly, through a clinic, where the sperm donor is truly anonymous.

Quote:
A filing Wednesday by the Department for Children and Families argues the sperm donor contract overlooks “the well-established law in this state that a person cannot contract away his or her obligations to support their child.”

The right for support belongs to the child, not the parents, the filing says.
It is very easy for a man to avoid being in this predicament, he should have done his homework first.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-23-2014 at 09:31 AM..

Old 01-23-2014, 09:23 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
This judge was appointed by Governor Brownback, a Republican. Sounds like the state is serious about pursuing deadbeat dads. I have no issue with this.

The bio parents failed to perform the statutory requirements of the Kansas Parentage Act.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:24 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Sounds like a legal technicality to me.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:25 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
It's not the "lessies" that are seeking child support, it's the state. read the article. It's pretty much a DCFS thing.
And your point?

Did I mention child support?

Why, no, I don't believe I did.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:26 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
All the more reason to NEVER be a sperm (or egg, for that matter) doner. There are too many irresponsible people willing to ********* for doing them a huge favor, with the states going along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies