Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 09:42 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I appreciated the humor, even at my expense.
That's what I like about you.

Quote:
That said, and to clarify the "boom" term, I mean, more modestly, I think that a number of the tumblers will align to assist the consumer confidence. To wit, housing,....
You mean credit cards?

That's what houses are in the US. If you need to sell houses so that people can have HELOCs and 2nd and 3rd Mortgages, then you don't really have much of any economy.

Quote:
... private hiring, and small business profits (from increased consumption), and stable or mildly increasing public sector spending and employment.
Not seeing it. Why do you think I kept calling Obamacare a massive misguided misdirection of wealth?

Because I knew it would negate any potential growth.

People used to spend $500 or $1,000 on healthcare before fee-for-service kicked in, and so they had $9,000-$9,500 to spend on the economy. Now they have to spend $10,000 on healthcare before fee-for-service kicks in. You're looking at anywhere from $100 Billion to $500 Billion redirected to the morass called healthcare. I'm sure the American Hospital Association will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Another issue is Winter and natural gas. That's going to bury a lot of households.

You know you BOLO'd on Social Security again, right?

Quote:
We already have record corporate profits, and stock market gains, so getting those other sectors online will have a strong effect on the larger economy public well being, in my opinion.
Those things are not relevant.

Stock market gains are driven by foreign investors, and corporate profits are global, not domestic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
What if Eleanor Roosevelt could fly?
Then I'd fly over, pick you up and fly us over to watch Eleanor Roosevelt fly.

Quote:
Well, this is pretty misleading, to say the least.

Bush fell off the wagon and went on a wild bender, crashing our economy through a few houses, fences, jumped a pond or two, hit a couple elk, rolled it over, lit it on fire, sent it over the cliff, and tossed Obama the keys.
In about 5-10 years, Bush is going to be hailed as an hero who saved your economy.

Everyone will be saying what I've been saying for the last several years, that the Bush Tax Cuts and his spending saved your asses.

Understand that Bush did that unwittingly....it was just a fortuitous stroke of luck that the tax cuts designed to counter the negative effects of the Clinton Recession were long-term and renewable. And then the spending on the wars cushioned the blow.

Had it not been for that, you would have entered a very severe recession and suddenly about late 2004 or early 2005 and remained in recession through 2010-2011....maybe you'd still be in recession.

Cry a river if you want, but that's the reality...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 10:04 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Well, this is pretty misleading, to say the least.

Bush fell off the wagon and went on a wild bender, crashing our economy through a few houses, fences, jumped a pond or two, hit a couple elk, rolled it over, lit it on fire, sent it over the cliff, and tossed Obama the keys.
And Obama took the keys, pulled the car out of the ditch, headed straight for the board room inviting the American Hospital Association and all of his richest friends and donors and told them "it's your time to shine, this will be your presidency" and then he passed the money basket around and fed them all lobster, steak, champagne and finished it all off with Cake, then flew to Hawaii to play golf.

7 setbacks for the middle class - Yahoo Finance

Old 01-25-2014, 10:06 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
What kind of "boom"? The country is imploding to anyone who isn't myopic.
Salvage companies, that's who'll win.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:23 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Post oil manipulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Salvage companies, that's who'll win.
heh. That's actually interesting. Salvage companies and junk bond traders.

Maybe Lucky larry who has a net worth of over 30 billion after 911, can give us some financial pointers. He's asking fed Gov for another couple of billion in assistance money to finish the 3 WTC at Ground Zero. apparently they're having a problem finding tenants {again}

3 World Trade Center Financing | Silverstein Properties

New Financial Implosion, per zerohedge

Forbes Reveals Its "Top 30 Under 30" In Finance | Zero Hedge

hedge fund culling.

Why The Keystone Pipeline Will Actually RAISE Gas Prices In the U.S. | Zero Hedge

Keystone XL pipeline raises gas prices for all In U.S.

The Keystone pipeline isn’t just about expanding the unsustainable mining of … Canadian crude, but also to raise gasoline prices for American consumers whose gasoline is currently priced under WTI crude benchmark prices.

Slocum
notes that oil is America’s number 1 import at time same that fuel is America’s number 1 export.

Specifically, more oil is being produced now under Obama than under Bush. But gas consumption is flat.

So producers are exporting refined products. By exporting, producers keep refined products off the U.S. market, creating artificial scarcity and keeping U.S. fuel prices high.

Slocum said that the main goal of the Keystone Pipeline is to import Canadian crude so the big American oil companies can export more refined fuel, driving up prices for U.S. consumers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies