Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 01:28 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,994,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Our tax dollars support things you need also (roads, police, fire, military, corporate welfare, etc.) so it's not a one way street. You right wingers seem to be unable to grasp that fact. Most of America has the common sense to see it but I guess that's why your party is declining the way it is.
Its peoples morals that are declining and as for grasping if one can not take care of or assume responsibility for ones self why expect another person to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 02:46 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,722,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Our tax dollars support things you need also (roads, police, fire, military, corporate welfare, etc.) so it's not a one way street. You right wingers seem to be unable to grasp that fact. Most of America has the common sense to see it but I guess that's why your party is declining the way it is.
We need corporate welfare? That's an amusing statement.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:41 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,661,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Because nothing is free.

Someone else is being forced to pay for your choices and lifestyle.

You posses the free will to choose whether or not to have sex if you can't afford birth control but others can not choose whether or not to pay taxes.
No matter how many times you (or I) say it, it won't soak in.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:51 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,328,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Tax the Dems.

It would be easy to do: record the votes of those who want to tax and spend, then tax them at higher rates.
Except that at least half of the dems don't work.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:16 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,536,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Except that at least half of the dems don't work.
Tax them anyway. Make it a flat tax, rather than an income tax.

Let them be debt slaves to the IRS.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:37 PM

21,453 posts, read 10,555,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So dramatic. Here in the liberal northeast, we refer to this process as taxation.

If you think taxation is theft, you have a screw loose.
Medicare and Social Security isn't supposed to be taxation. We're supposed to pay into the system and get it back when we retire.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:51 PM

32,033 posts, read 15,030,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Because nothing is free.

Someone else is being forced to pay for your choices and lifestyle.

You posses the free will to choose whether or not to have sex if you can't afford birth control but others can not choose whether or not to pay taxes.

I never said I got birth control for free. Without insurance I would have had to pay for an office visit at a doctors office just to get a prescription. Planned Parenthood helps those that don't have insurance. Guess what, single people have sex all the time and will continue to do so. Would you rather they have all these kids and possibly go on welfare and food stamps, which we all pay for, or would you rather they use birth control to not get pregnant. Easy answer...birth control costs a lot less then welfare for them.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:23 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,356,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Schumer is simply talking about peeling off some of the mostly senior voters who depend on Medicare, VA, Tricare, SS, and like other government programs. Without these voters the Tea Party is nothing but a bunch of hot air in most parts of the country.
I am kind of skeptical since the Tea Party seems to have adopted Medicare and isnt doing much about the other programs that they like. The "Reagan" voters who support the Tea Party hit their high water mark in 2010 anyways. They wont be the force they were in 2010.

"Other government programs" are not typically earned through a commitment to the nation's defense or financed by involuntary payroll taxes, so how are "other government programs" "like" the ones you listed?

As for the future of the Tea Party movement, when the payoff to their political opposition is free money and/or benefits from the federal government, the movement's questioning of the wisdom or morality of taking what is perceived to be free money will always be unpopular.

What makes the Tea Party movement relevant now and in the future is the fact that those stealing from future generations will not be able to continue borrowing from the Chinese indefinitely.

When the day comes that we can no longer charge on our kid's account, we will all be fiscal conservatives whether we like the conservative Tea Party movement or not.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:11 AM

18,450 posts, read 7,077,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

I never said I got birth control for free. Without insurance I would have had to pay for an office visit at a doctors office just to get a prescription. Planned Parenthood helps those that don't have insurance. Guess what, single people have sex all the time and will continue to do so. Would you rather they have all these kids and possibly go on welfare and food stamps, which we all pay for, or would you rather they use birth control to not get pregnant. Easy answer...birth control costs a lot less then welfare for them.

Oh, really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Would you please get over Planned Parenthood and abortions. They are so much more than that. In my 20's I didn't have insurance. I was able to get birth control and counseling from them for nothing. Why is that a bad thing.

I wasn't aware that "free" had a different definition than "for nothing"

Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,710,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Medicare and Social Security isn't supposed to be taxation. We're supposed to pay into the system and get it back when we retire.
Well some of us do pay into social security and medicare and have to wait until we are old to draw out. Others never pay a dime into it and draw out when they are young and able. Key word, able.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies