Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 02:16 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It didn't jump off the tracks at all. Why do you think that Spanish is being pushed in our schools now? Why do you think we have so many mono-lingual Spanish speaking kids in our schools now thus courses being taught in Spanish first and English second which is the title of this topic?
Uh...maybe because being fluent in two languages is a good thing and kids pick up fluency better when they are young?

It is a voluntary program - nothing is being "pushed".

Since it is voluntary, why don't you define "pushed in our schools".

Is the simple offering of instruction for a language "pushing"?

In that case, all schools that have German and French instruction are pushing those languages.

Are you outraged about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 02:16 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Language immersion isn't a bad deal at all. Now I don't know what motivated the school or what criteria was used to select Spanish so I pass no judgment in that regard.
If it were to pander then it still has benefits regardless of the intent. Bi-lingual is always a plus.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
That's what some don't get. I resent paying for illegals and I am constantly doing so. I live in Illinois and we support many illegals with welfare. Meanwhile our childless citizens don't get welfare at all or very little even though some need it.

Like I said before I like the idea of kids learning languages, and see nothing wrong with that. What I do see wrong is where public schools are requiring all students to have bilingual classes because of the kids who don't speak English. That to me is different than a school where it's decided to teach kids languages early.
Where is this done?

In the example given, the program is voluntary.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:18 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Learning a foreign language should be a choice not because we should pander to those who are here illegally and/or those who refuse to assimilate to English. I disagree, anything one learns stimulates the brain but one should choose to learn something that will be useful to them in their careers. Right, thanks for pointing it out that native English speakers are being discriminated against in hiring practices to placate the group above and you're ok with that?
If learning a foreign language should be a choice, why not let students decide if they would like to learn math or science? After all, we shouldn't force them to pander to ANYONE. G-d forbid students actually learn something useful that has a positive impact on their performance in other subjects!

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Uh...maybe because being fluent in two languages is a good thing and kids pick up fluency better when they are young?

It is a voluntary program - nothing is being "pushed".

Since it is voluntary, why don't you define "pushed in our schools".

Is the simple offering of instruction for a language "pushing"?

In that case, all schools that have German and French instruction are being pushed in our schools.

Are you outraged about that?
Stop it, Harrier. You CANNOT agree with me. The world will stop turning on its axis.

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
LOL.

Nice try.

You have no objection whatsoever when someone mentions German immersion schools, or French.

It's just the Spanish that has you frothing at the mouth. Really, it's quite obvious, and I wish you hadn't injected it into this education thread. You're making me agree with Harrier, and that's just criminal.
Actually I do object. However, how many German, French immersion schools are there compared to Spanish immersion ones? It doesn't even begin to compare. How many jobs are demanding that you be able to speak German or French compared to those jobs demanding Spanish nowadays? I rest my case, you lose.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:19 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
If it's voluntary, then no problem. There are immersion programs in French, German, and Japanese that I'm aware of. I knew a lot of people who did french immersion program.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:19 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Where is this done?

In the example given, the program is voluntary.
There are some schools where bilingual is pushed because of the students. I know there are schools in Chicago where there are large bilingual programs because many students don't speak English. Public schools, btw. Now if it's a private school not my problem.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Actually I do object. However, how many German, French immersion schools are there compared to Spanish immersion ones? It doesn't even begin to compare.
The German and French immersion schools exist in areas where such language skills would be valuable, such as in Wisconsin and Louisiana, respectively.
Quote:
How many jobs are demanding that you be able to speak German or French compared to those jobs demanding Spanish nowadays?
Spanish is a widely useful language in which to have fluency.

It is spoken by more people in more places in the republic then any other language besides English.

Employers who seek bilingual candidates do so because they feel that a bilingual person will be valuable to their business.

Quote:
I rest my case, you lose.
You need to make a case before you can rest one.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:25 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
If this programs works, that is a great idea. I wish I had been in a program like that in school as I would love to be bilingual now. Unfortunately what we had was an impatient and often angry French man teaching us in such an uninspiring way that many of us were not motivated to learn French--only to be finished with his class.

Does Dual-Language Immersion Work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies