Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 02:39 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Christians used to burn left-handed people at the stake because they were thought to be witches. Do you think left-handed people are right or wrong?
Very evil. And handedness is a chosen behavior.

I know this because my aunt was born left handed but some mean spirited nuns in the old country beat it out of her until she learned to use her right hand.

Homosexuality is kind of like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 03:15 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If it were environmental or psychological, then it could actually be resolved with psychotherapy. If it were environmental, why is it recorded as existing throughout ross cultures?

ALL mainstream psychologists and psychiatrists subscribe to the view that homosexuality and bisexuality is simply an expected expression of human sexuality and that "conversion therapies" do.not.work.

Such therapies are right along the lines of shock therapy and other discredited methods of psychotherapy, which is why it's usually only employed in the religious context, where quackery abounds unabated by the constraints of peer review, scientific criticism or regulatory control.

And if you think that many gays and lesbians wouldn't honestly change if they thought they could, you are wrong. There is nothing chosen about the self-torture so many go through in the teenage years, trying to deny or come to grips with homosexual orientation. How many would change to satisfy their parents or expectations of society, but can't despite their efforts?

People who have lived the experience know better than you, and even THEY are more capable of criticizing this guy based on their own experiences with same sex attraction. Again: The criticism is this guy claiming to be "ex gay" --- which most religious people conflate to mean "change in orientation" instead of what it usually is 99% of the time: "denial/abstention from behavior."

You can still be gay and have sex acts with the opposite sex. Still be straight and engage in sex acts with the same sex. It's about your attraction. What gets your motor running. If you're simply "using" a person to get off while your mind/heart desires something else, you aren't really "ex" anything.
I never said anything about conversion therapy, not sure why you brought it up.

Just because a behavior has been noticed throughout history doesn't make it normal . Incest has also been recorded throughout history, does that make it normal too? It is environmental, especially when you look at history. Take the Romans as an example, all the Romanswwere gay/bi. Now do you think that the entire population of Rome was born that way? No obviously not. It was the culture (again environment) that caused it. When the culture changed, so did people's sexuality.

Also if you take a psychology course (as I have) the main theory is that it's more along the lines of the Kinsey Scale. Which is that everyone is innately bi sexua , and that the environment and upbringing and experiences is what causes sexual preferences. This is why even as straight men we can still find another man handsome/attractive, not in a sexual way obviously, but there is still an attraction that exists. Most psychologicalists will tell you the same thing if you ask team.

I don't care if a person is gay or not, that's their own business and they have the right to live life as theywwant to. I don't believe in forcing gay people to change, it's their own lives and I respectthem eeven if I do disagree with their particular lifestyle. However attacking and judging the person who this thread is about for changing his sexuality is hypocritical. Wether you believe he did or is just faking it doesn't matter. You don't want people judging your sexuality, so why judge him? You don't know his experiences, just like I don't know yours, so you should practice that tolerance and open mindednessyou cclaim to believe in so much.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:50 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I never said anything about conversion therapy, not sure why you brought it up.

Just because a behavior has been noticed throughout history doesn't make it normal . Incest has also been recorded throughout history, does that make it normal too? It is environmental, especially when you look at history. Take the Romans as an example, all the Romanswwere gay/bi. Now do you think that the entire population of Rome was born that way? No obviously not. It was the culture (again environment) that caused it. When the culture changed, so did people's sexuality.

Also if you take a psychology course (as I have) the main theory is that it's more along the lines of the Kinsey Scale. Which is that everyone is innately bi sexua , and that the environment and upbringing and experiences is what causes sexual preferences. This is why even as straight men we can still find another man handsome/attractive, not in a sexual way obviously, but there is still an attraction that exists. Most psychologicalists will tell you the same thing if you ask team.
If you ever did 'take a psychology course' as you claim it sounds like it was a one hour class from the 1950's.

Your views on this topic are beyond laughable.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:20 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
/Derp

Sexuality =/= lifestyle

And yet your first sentence in this post is that "this crap" (presumably, sexual orientation) is a "choice."

This, despite the 99.9% of gay people who tell you and your kind that "it is not a choice to be gay." Yet you always profess to know better, despite the fact that your kind usually also admits that straight people didn't decide to be straight!

So yeah. You pretty much have ZERO intellectual consistency on this subject.
People don't choose who they are attracted to, yet they have a choice to act out on their attractions. The guy choose to break up a 10 year gay relationship and abandon the gay lifestyle.

Anyway I know a guy that was married to the opposite sex for 10 years and after that choose to change his lifestyle. He choose to be in a gay relationship after that.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:05 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Christians used to burn left-handed people at the stake because they were thought to be witches. Do you think left-handed people are right or wrong?
Witch burning was statistically pretty rare and your left handed analogy is absurd.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:07 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
So there can't be activists for gays who are straight?

Old 02-02-2014, 09:10 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,586 times
Quote:
Very evil. And handedness is a chosen behavior.

I know this because my aunt was born left handed but some mean spirited nuns in the old country beat it out of her until she learned to use her right hand.

Homosexuality is kind of like that.
You should take both hands and put them around your neck. Squeeze very hard.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:22 AM

423 posts, read 414,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
You should take both hands and put them around your neck. Squeeze very hard.
Why should he? Because you don't agree with his viewpoint? Who died and left you in charge?

Old 02-02-2014, 10:25 AM

423 posts, read 414,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
So there can't be activists for gays who are straight?
No...it doesn't further their agenda. Notice when it happens, they get angrier than all hell, and attempt to blow it off....to coin a phrase. lol

Old 02-02-2014, 02:01 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
A former activist in the gay rights movement who left homosexuality for a relationship with God in 2007 has drawn the ire of homosexual activists after marrying a woman on Oct. 26.

In a column for WND, Michael Glatze, who founded Young Gay America and was the editor of the group’s magazine, responded to the criticisms. He said the month of marriage to his wife, Rebekah, has been “the greatest month of [his] life thus far.

[Former Gay Activist Responds to Critics After Marrying a Woman

I am aware there are people out there that were gay but living the straight lifestyle. Yet in cases like this they were usually bisexual. Others around are closeted married to the opposite sex. Do you think this guy is now straight, bisexual or in denial?
Eh, gay men marry women all the time, especially in the south and in the black community. Most of the time, the truth comes out, and it almost always ends in the divorce. He's had a happy month of marriage, though. Good for him. Everyone should be happy. If the woman is stupid enough to do it, so be it. There are more important things to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies