Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 11:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
We all know it. It's called "change." They rebel against change. It's why we adapt as a species and move on. Some can adapt. Some can't. Are you supposed to rail against them for not understanding how the world works these days? Nope. Just accept as you can, and move on.

Sharing a bit of my life with you. A long time ago, my car broke down. Another lady, who was Black, offered to drive me home from my job. My mom, who I thought was pretty cool with societal dictates, told me "You need to ride in the back of the car." and I'm thinking, "Why?" and she said, well let the black lady drive and you sit in the back of the car." and I'm thinking, "this does not compute." What? Mom? Seriously?

I took the chair in the right hand side, and my coworker drove me home. I told her what my mom said. She told me she was old school.

Racism. I'll be glad when it is over.

Conservatives want the Old School. Things. Good luck with that.
What a failed thread considering it was Republicans who put forward the notion that blacks were equal, and Democrats fought against it..

We dont mind change, if its GOOD change..

I'm curious though, why would you bother to tell your co-worker? When I was growing up we were taught that to say something would be beyond rude to both your mother, and your co-worker..

Last edited by pghquest; 01-26-2014 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
...but aren't employers increasing the prices of goods regardless? So couldn't it be argued that min wage increase is a cost of living increase.
Employers have no incentive to increase the price of goods. They have an incentive to increase profits, and the increase profits cant take place with a lot of competition.

its Democrats making it more difficult to compete..
Quote:
In 2008 min wage was 7.25...Big Mac cost 3.50

In 2014 min wage is 7.35...big mac costs 4.60.

are you saying because of the 10 cent increase in min wage, McDs raised the price of the BM 1.10 to compensate?
Wages arent the only cost increases Mcdonalds have to deal with. Isnt gasoline far more expensive now for example?

Last edited by pghquest; 01-26-2014 at 11:51 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 01:40 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What a failed thread considering it was Republicans who put forward the notion that blacks were equal, and Democrats fought against it..

We dont mind change, if its GOOD change..

I'm curious though, why would you bother to tell your co-worker? When I was growing up we were taught that to say something would be beyond rude to both your mother, and your co-worker..
To get their opinion. This might be beyond you. I dunno.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:44 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
1+1=2 meaning you raise the minimum wage, and the employers will raise the price of the goods negating the increase.
While I believe we are in substantial agreement in principle, I'd like to correct one of your earlier points .... just as employers will include labor costs in the prices of goods and services, this also holds true for taxes. Consequently, the wealthy do not pay taxes ... the consumers pay ALL TAXES, and that's just an inescapable reality.

Therefore, when liberals inanely demand that taxes are raised on the wealthy because they aren't paying enough, and are too wealthy, what they apparently don't understand is that any reduction in the bottom line profits will be compensated by a correction in the prices charged to consumers ... hurting those of the lower income levels the most, but having ZERO effect on the wealthy.

This is typical of liberal policies which almost without exception, produce the exact opposite result from the intended purpose.

And this pretty much describes the world we live in today, as highlighted by Chris Hedges statement:

"we now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, univesities destroy knowledge, government destroys freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banks destroy the economy"

Ain't that the truth!!!

Old 01-26-2014, 05:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
...but aren't employers increasing the prices of goods regardless? So couldn't it be argued that min wage increase is a cost of living increase.

In 2008 min wage was 7.25...Big Mac cost 3.50

In 2014 min wage is 7.35...big mac costs 4.60.

are you saying because of the 10 cent increase in min wage, McDs raised the price of the BM 1.10 to compensate?
what you are forgetting is that many things go into the cost of a big mac. every expense the business has, plus a small profit, is figured into the price of that big mac, so that when enough of those big macs are sold the business hits its break even point on the burger so they start making money. if you change the cost of said big mac, then the price needs to be refigured, to find the new break even point in sales, and of that break even point is too high, then the price on that burger does go up. lets say the break even point in 2008 was 10,000 big macs sold, now in 2014 the break even point should be the same number sold as there is plenty of past performance number sot look at. but now you have raised the cost of that burger through the minimum wage increase, so you need to recost the burger, add in your profit margin for that burger, and then find your new break even point. lets say that is now 12,000 big macs, but you find that your restaurant doesnt support sells 12,000 big mac, but it will support selling 11,000 big macs. at that point your burger price needs to go up to maintain the break even point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
While I believe we are in substantial agreement in principle, I'd like to correct one of your earlier points .... just as employers will include labor costs in the prices of goods and services, this also holds true for taxes. Consequently, the wealthy do not pay taxes ... the consumers pay ALL TAXES, and that's just an inescapable reality.
i agree with this statement to a point. what you should have said is the wealthy do not pay taxes WHEN they can avoid them. for instance, the CEO of a major corporation cannot pass an increase in his taxes onto the consumer, because his taxes come out of his salary. however raise the companies taxes, and he can pass those onto the consumer.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
To get their opinion. This might be beyond you. I dunno.
Their opinion of what? The racism your mother has?

Old 01-26-2014, 05:15 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
What's the saying? Adapt or die.

guess it is time for the democrat party to die then, as they are never willing to adapt. come to think of it, most of the conservative party refuses to adapt too. time for both parties to die.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:30 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
350 years of slavery and Jim Crow left the black family particularly vulnerable to the Great Society programs. It took awhile for the idea that all men are created equal and endowed with certain inalienable rights took too long to be applied to blacks.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

This was one of those one ideas in a hundred that when utilized by government greatly benefits mankind. The last 80 years we have been moving away from that philosophy to the detriment of us all.
They didn't guarantee happiness. They guaranteed that everyone should have the same opportunities to find it. We may not have achieved the guarantee of opportunities to a perfection but we are pretty darn close to it. We just have to be careful to know when people are demanding opportunities that aren't there versus happiness they haven't worked to achieve on their own.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:55 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
1+1=2 meaning you raise the minimum wage, and the employers will raise the price of the goods negating the increase.
Raising the minimum wage does not mean a 1:1 increase in the price of goods. If that was the case, why have a minimum wage at all if purchasing power remained static, literally? Sorry, but your post doesn't pass the logic sniff test. Yes the price of goods go up, but they do not go up enough to automatically negate the new purchasing power attained.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Raising the minimum wage does not mean a 1:1 increase in the price of goods. If that was the case, why have a minimum wage at all if purchasing power remained static, literally? Sorry, but your post doesn't pass the logic sniff test. Yes the price of goods go up, but they do not go up enough to automatically negate the new purchasing power attained.
And yet our buying power continues to erode every single year. Weird..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies