Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:26 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
By and large, most gay men were either a.) molested as a child or b.) had an absent father while growing up.

Spend any time really getting to know gay men and you will see that one of those two scenarios is almost always present. I have a cousin who is homosexual and he's told me about several of his friends, so that's how I know.

Is this something you learned in "statistics"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 12:23 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
I think at this point everyone agrees that homosexuality is a genetically predetermined trait.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:43 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I think at this point everyone agrees that homosexuality is a genetically predetermined trait.
I did hear several women say they were attracted to women when they were very young (in college), but later attracted to men.
However I just read those things online, and all those individuals seem to be women.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:53 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
By and large, most gay men were either a.) molested as a child or b.) had an absent father while growing up.

Spend any time really getting to know gay men and you will see that one of those two scenarios is almost always present. I have a cousin who is homosexual and he's told me about several of his friends, so that's how I know.
False. The gay brain is structured differently and those structures that are different develop before birth or early infancy, long before any bad parenting or molestation can occur and cause an effect.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I did hear several women say they were attracted to women when they were very young (in college), but later attracted to men.
However I just read those things online, and all those individuals seem to be women.
That would be called bisexual.

Women seem to have slightly more fluid sexuality, or at least appear that way since female/female affection isn't stigmatized like male/male. I'm not sure how common bisexual men who prefer women while they're younger, but develop affection for men in their 30/40s are. Most men aren't willing to admit it.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:06 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I've read hundreds of supportive comments over the last 18 months. At this point most are buried. The fact that city officials didn't throw the book at him has been construed by some as implicit support.

I agree that one individual isn't usually representative of an entire group. The only time that it is true is if he's a republican.
...or a Democrat, or a gay person, or a black person, etc. If you think only Republicans get "pigeonholed" by one bad apple, you apparently are new to the Internet.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Is this something you learned in "statistics"?
LMAO! They claim to be a "statistics nerd," but think a few anecdotes from a gay relative counts as statistical evidence? Whoever taught their classes should be fired.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
That would be called bisexual.

Women seem to have slightly more fluid sexuality, or at least appear that way since female/female affection isn't stigmatized like male/male. I'm not sure how common bisexual men who prefer women while they're younger, but develop affection for men in their 30/40s are. Most men aren't willing to admit it.
Bisexuality aside, it actually is a proven fact that women are more "fluid" in their sexuality... actually, most humans fall closer to the middle of the spectrum than 100% on either side. That, and the fact that (as you mentioned) men are less likely to express same-sex desires. Human sexuality is a complicated issue, and not just a matter of gay vs straight.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Bisexuality aside, it actually is a proven fact that women are more "fluid" in their sexuality... actually, most humans fall closer to the middle of the spectrum than 100% on either side. That, and the fact that (as you mentioned) men are less likely to express same-sex desires. Human sexuality is a complicated issue, and not just a matter of gay vs straight.
Yeah, it can be hard to tell with some people. Straight guys who give off bisexual vibes/flirt with gay guys, but are obsessed with women. Have a friend like that whose hard to figure out.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:04 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
False. The gay brain is structured differently and those structures that are different develop before birth or early infancy, long before any bad parenting or molestation can occur and cause an effect.
Human brains are VERY flexible, especially for children.

A British girl got half of the brain removed (and thus lost many "function areas") but still managed to be a basically normal person when she grew up, because the brain rearranged the cells and connections.

It's like a computer, as long as the hardware satisfies basic needs, what matters is the "algorithm".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies