Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times

Advertisements

New York 7-Round Limit Struck Down on Second Amendment Grounds, Assault Weapons Ban and >10-Round Magazine Ban Upheld | The Volokh ConspiracyThe Volokh Conspiracy

Last year NY passed the SAFE (I think it stands for "Stupid Acronyms Freakin' Everywhere) act, limiting all gun magazines to no more than seven rounds. Such limits are dumb to begin with, because a bad guy intent on mayhem can just carry 2, 3 or even 10 magazines, and with a little practice mag changes can be done very quickly.

But Andrew Cuomo, whose staff wrote the law, took it to the next level, beyond dumb, even beyond dumber, reaching that rarefied level of DUMBEST. Since 7 round mags are uncommon, a federal judge ruled that it ran afoul of a part of the Heller ruling that said bans on commonly owned guns are unconstitutional. So the 7 round mag limit was tossed. Cuomo had a bright idea: he amended the law to say that you can have a 10 round mag, but you can't put more than 7 rounds of ammo in it.

I can just imagine a couple of hoods, let's call them Bonnie and Clyde, getting ready to pull a heist. Clyde is loading his Glock. He puts in 7 rounds, but when he starts to load the 8th, Bonnie wags her finger at him: "Uh, uh, uh, --only 7 rounds, Clyde." So Cuomo managed to create a law that helps only the criminals, and harms only the law-abiding.

The judge also threw out a provision in the law referencing "muzzle breaks" which was probably not really necessary, since no such thing exists. The judge threw out that and other provisions, saying they "must be stricken because they do not adequately inform an ordinary person as to what conduct is prohibited."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 08:29 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I can just imagine a couple of hoods, let's call them Bonnie and Clyde, getting ready to pull a heist. Clyde is loading his Glock. He puts in 7 rounds, but when he starts to load the 8th, Bonnie wags her finger at him: "Uh, uh, uh, --only 7 rounds, Clyde." So Cuomo managed to create a law that helps only the criminals, and harms only the law-abiding.
The true point of the law wasn't to limit the number of rounds, it's true goal was to limit the weapons themselves since many modern semi automatic handguns are built around mags that handle up to 16 rounds. Many times you can't even get a mag for them that holds only 7 rounds therefore many of the most popular and most effective semi auto handguns are illegal. It doesn't matter if you only have 4 rounds in the gun, if the mag holds 11 rounds you're illegal based on this law.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:20 AM

The law originally banned mags with over 7-round capacity. The judge ruled that since 7 round mags were not commonly available, this was unconstitutional under the Heller ruling. So they amended it to allow 10 round magazines, which are relatively common. But they still said that nobody could put more than 7 rounds into a mag. You can buy a mag that will take 10 rounds, but if you put more than 7 into it, congrats, you're now a criminal:
Lockport police catch flak for SAFE Act arrest - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Limiting magazine size is not dumb.

My friend, who sales guns, told me that he sales guns under This statement.

"When seconds count, and help is minutes away...."

It takes precious seconds to reload. Less rounds per mag means reloading more often, saving precious life, and adding precious seconds. When someone is going off with a drum mag and 100 rounds, my .357 isn't going to do me any good. When he drops a clip and is reloading after 10 rounds, I'd drill him between the eyes.

Limits on magazine sizes are not stupid. I think 10 rounds is plenty.

Assault weapons bans have been and always will be dumb

Old 01-26-2014, 10:18 AM

2,188 posts, read 1,383,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

It takes precious seconds to reload. Less rounds per mag means reloading more often, saving precious life, and adding precious seconds. When someone is going off with a drum mag and 100 rounds, my .357 isn't going to do me any good. When he drops a clip and is reloading after 10 rounds, I'd drill him between the eyes.
It will take YOU precious seconds to reload. The bad guy does not need to, he's got a 20 round mag.

In California magazines are limited to 10 bullets however this bad guy fired 13-15 rounds :

Quote:

In a firefight, having less rounds is good ?? Put 10 round mags in your gun if you want to. Let others put whatever size mag they want.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:19 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Amazing what these clowns will do to try and salvage their legacy.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:50 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
New York 7-Round Limit Struck Down on Second Amendment Grounds, Assault Weapons Ban and >10-Round Magazine Ban Upheld | The Volokh ConspiracyThe Volokh Conspiracy

Last year NY passed the SAFE (I think it stands for "Stupid Acronyms Freakin' Everywhere) act, limiting all gun magazines to no more than seven rounds. Such limits are dumb to begin with, because a bad guy intent on mayhem can just carry 2, 3 or even 10 magazines, and with a little practice mag changes can be done very quickly.

But Andrew Cuomo, whose staff wrote the law, took it to the next level, beyond dumb, even beyond dumber, reaching that rarefied level of DUMBEST. Since 7 round mags are uncommon, a federal judge ruled that it ran afoul of a part of the Heller ruling that said bans on commonly owned guns are unconstitutional. So the 7 round mag limit was tossed. Cuomo had a bright idea: he amended the law to say that you can have a 10 round mag, but you can't put more than 7 rounds of ammo in it.

The judge also threw out a provision in the law referencing "muzzle breaks" which was probably not really necessary, since no such thing exists. The judge threw out that and other provisions, saying they "must be stricken because they do not adequately inform an ordinary person as to what conduct is prohibited."
And NY has LOST more population then ANY other sate. So much so that they LOST 2 seats in the House.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Limiting magazine size is not dumb.

My friend, who sales guns, told me that he sales guns under This statement.

"When seconds count, and help is minutes away...."

Assault weapons bans have been and always will be dumb
Did you read my post? The law as it currently stands limits magazine size to 10 rounds, but forbids loading the magazine with more than 7. By your own analysis, the bad guy who has ignored the law and loaded his magazine (not clip) with 10 rounds is given the advantage. When the good guy who has obeyed the law, has emptied his 7 rounds, the bad guy is going to "drill him between the eyes." How is that not dumb?

BTW, I think your analysis is off the mark. Ask any competent trainer what they think of your scenario. In the first place, you're counting on the fact that the other guy is going to miss 11 times. Not a good plan. In the second place, your first shot needs to be center-mass, not "drill him between the eyes."

Old 01-26-2014, 06:21 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Why would someone who wants to murder people obey a law limiting magazine capacity? It only helps the criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies