Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:25 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
All pot smokers are dumb and lazy.

There's one
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 10:51 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Name one stereotype that isn't based in reality

The one where conservatives view themselves as being somehow inherently morally superior to liberals.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:48 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseme View Post
Exactly, I agree with you. Stereotyping is wrong, because the majority that doesn't mess up is wrongly judged.
I considering stereotyping to be illogical because for every person who fits the stereotype, there are many more within the group who don't. No one has denied that a high amount of crimes are committed by Black males, or that among the Black male population, there is a high proportion of criminals. No one is denying those facts. This is about taking those facts, and judging/stereotyping the entire Black population on it.

I say if you do the crime, you do the time. With that said, let what YOU do stick to you, not to other persons who happen to share the same skin tone as you. Let it stick to YOU.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:57 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Kind of a trivial one (and not political or controversial), but it used to bother one of my friends - the stereotype that tall guys are good at basketball. My friend was tall but wasn't particularly good at basketball in high school and wasn't interested in it - but invariably, people meeting him for the first time brought up "you must be great at basketball!"

Old 01-27-2014, 12:09 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I considering stereotyping to be illogical because for every person who fits the stereotype, there are many more within the group who don't. No one has denied that a high amount of crimes are committed by Black males, or that among the Black male population, there is a high proportion of criminals. No one is denying those facts. This is about taking those facts, and judging/stereotyping the entire Black population on it.

I say if you do the crime, you do the time. With that said, let what YOU do stick to you, not to other persons who happen to share the same skin tone as you. Let it stick to YOU.
Actually the bold is not true. Over 80% of black males are not criminals so saying that the black male population has a high proportion of criminality only continues the stereotype that black men are criminals. There are 2 million black men in prison and 20 million black men in this country so that stereotype is also false and is not based in reality.

Many people try to use arrest records to justify the stereotyping of black males as criminals, but none of those arrest records state how many of the charges were dismissed or not pursued due to lack of evidence. And it is common knowledge that law enforcement harasses and arrests black men much more than they do other ethnicities based on the false assumption that all black men are criminals.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:25 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
What about DWA, Driving While Asian? (or DWO, Oriental)

My observation - having been on the roads in a few Asian countries, and living in a place in the U.S. where there are many Asian immigrants and Asian-Americans - hasn't led me to conclude Asians are any worse drivers than anyone else. You have good drivers, bad drivers, and usually good drivers who might have an accident once in a while.

I think this stereotype stems from people being aware it, and if they witness a bad driver who turns out to be Asian, for the observer the stereotype is confirmed (confirmation bias). If the driver isn't Asian (especially if the driver looks like the observer), then nothing is filed away in the mental filing cabinet about that driver representing all drivers of similar appearance.

I even knew a Canadian Asian who would spit out the "DWA!" insult whenever she observed bad Asian drivers, at the same time that she herself was an Asian driver!

Old 01-27-2014, 12:46 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Actually the bold is not true. Over 80% of black males are not criminals so saying that the black male population has a high proportion of criminality only continues the stereotype that black men are criminals. There are 2 million black men in prison and 20 million black men in this country so that stereotype is also false and is not based in reality.

Many people try to use arrest records to justify the stereotyping of black males as criminals, but none of those arrest records state how many of the charges were dismissed or not pursued due to lack of evidence. And it is common knowledge that law enforcement harasses and arrests black men much more than they do other ethnicities based on the false assumption that all black men are criminals.
Well, higher proportion than other ethnic groups. My point was that the majority of Black men are not criminals, and that the "Black male criminal" stereotype does not apply to most Black men, therefore, the rest of the Black male population shouldn't be held responsible or judged for the stupidity of some persons.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
What about DWA, Driving While Asian? (or DWO, Oriental)

My observation - having been on the roads in a few Asian countries, and living in a place in the U.S. where there are many Asian immigrants and Asian-Americans - hasn't led me to conclude Asians are any worse drivers than anyone else. You have good drivers, bad drivers, and usually good drivers who might have an accident once in a while.

I think this stereotype stems from people being aware it, and if they witness a bad driver who turns out to be Asian, for the observer the stereotype is confirmed (confirmation bias). If the driver isn't Asian (especially if the driver looks like the observer), then nothing is filed away in the mental filing cabinet about that driver representing all drivers of similar appearance.

I even knew a Canadian Asian who would spit out the "DWA!" insult whenever she observed bad Asian drivers, at the same time that she herself was an Asian driver!
This made me chuckle. The worst "almost accident" I ever got into is when an Asian lady drove horizontally across 4 lanes of traffic with no warning right in front of me and the cars in the other lanes because she realized she wanted to turn left instead of right or something. I can laugh now because none of us was hurt, but it was such a DELIBERATELY DANGEROUS act (way beyond a lane change when someone is in your blind spot) that it's become my DWA moment! It's the only one I've had so far so the stereotype wasn't something I could relate to until then.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:59 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
I'm one of those people who believe that stereotypes are usually half true, but one that I call complete BS on is gay men have high pitched squeaking voices.

As a gay man, with thousands of gay friends, I have never heard something as nonsensical as this stereotype. If you walked into a crowded gay bar and specifically wanted to find someone speaking with a high pitched vocal fry you would honestly have a difficult time doing so.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:01 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
I believe the stereotype about Asians not being able to drive. My ex is Chinese and I have never seen a worse driver on this earth. Oh my god I don't know how he hasn't hurt himself. At least two of his Chinese friends I have driven with had me texting my mother that I love her because I honestly didn't think I would make it out of that car.

I think this really only applies to immigrant Asians though. My Asian friends who are born and raised here are good drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies