Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you going to watch the SOTU speech?
YES and I am a Democrat 11 11.22%
NO and I am a Democrat 5 5.10%
YES and I am unaffiliated with any party 16 16.33%
NO and I am unaffiliated with any party 37 37.76%
YES and I am a Republican 3 3.06%
NO and I am a Republican 20 20.41%
I'm not sure if I will watch or not/other (please explain) 6 6.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 PM

608 posts, read 482,212 times

Advertisements

I agree with her on the economic side of things but not on the war on coal or immigration. I think she has a bright future in politics though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 09:39 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
I think this girl rebuttaled Obama way better than Cathy did. Haha!

Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Of course not, because investing in one's retirement is indoctrination.
Investing in one's retirement by handing Uncle Sam your dollars that they say they will give back to you in 30 years has already been done. It's called Social Security.

And why should my son be locking to Treasuries for the next 30+ years ?

He's already got an IRA with Fidelity.
No minimum to open.
Stocks, bonds, mutual funds all available to trade and invest in.

Yeah..you go ahead and hand your money over to the FedGov who will lock you up in 30 year Treasuries at 3.9%. I'm sure you'll beat inflation with that interest rate and you're locked in for 30 years.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 PM

608 posts, read 482,212 times
I wonder if she can really become a force in US politics...really lead a real change for people...give people a choice other than democrat or republican..heck if that happens they might actually get me to vote again.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:45 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
The speech was plagiarized from 2007 GWB State of the Union speech...
Look it up..

Old 01-28-2014, 09:50 PM

973 posts, read 1,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I"ll wait for the fact checker's to do their thing before I opine on the speech. Several of his statements caught my attention as possible embellishments. I'll wait to see if they are in fact factually incorrect.
FACT CHECK: Obama and Medicare premiums | Kingsport Times-News

Old 01-28-2014, 09:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
She's doing a respectful job.
I only watched her a few minutes. (DH changed channel.) She did establish common ground, which I liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
As I was flipping channels to watch All In The Family, I caught some pizza flipping kid beaming because he got a raise to $10/hr. What the poor ******* doesn't know is he will be in a higher tax bracket and likely take home less.

lolol.

And I have no idea why that word was starred out. It means:

n slang ( US ) a stupid or contemptible person; oaf
At $10/hr? Even if he works FT that's $20K/yr. I don't know what he was making before, but minimum wage in MN is $6.15 or ~$12K/yr FT. Both of those numbers are within the 15% bracket for a single filer.
Updated: 2013 Federal Income Tax Brackets And Marginal Rates - Forbes
Minimum Wage Rates for 2014

Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 PM

7,501 posts, read 5,749,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Yet another great speech by our great President Obama.

It's obvious that this country and the world have greatly benefited from the presidency of this great President Obama. Supremely intelligent and educated, unmatched in his ability to articulate and communicate, versatile, full of character, depth, integrity, and resolve. He is effective and so is his administration. He invites opposing opinions, and believes that "ideological purity does not get things done". He is full of class. He has a beautiful family and his wife is more qualified to succeed him as President than any Republican. In fact no Republican is qualified. Just another moving speech by this great man.

Eric Cantor's presence in following the President into the chambers almost devalues the entire ambience of the moment. He's completely out of place, like a fish out of water. Same with Boehner. Same with Roberts and the other Conservative members of the Supreme Court. Same with any Republican who they flash on the screen. These people are absolutely pathetic.

There was a 'Republican response" after the speech. I didn't bother to waste time listening to it. The reason is obvious. Six years ago, Republicans had this country bleeding to death. Eight lousy years we endured being decimated by Dubya, Cheney, and the Neocons with their backwards and regressive "Contract with America". Since then, they have done nothing but try to obstruct every thing this President has put forth because they fear the success they know will happen were President Obama to have his way. Just a tea party-downgraded version we have in the Pubs today. Pathetic party, pathetic narrative they bring. They are political toe jam.

Great speech Mr. President.
This is a joke right? That is the only feasible explanation outside of serious mental illness.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
The speech was plagiarized from 2007 GWB State of the Union speech...
Look it up..
You took the time to look it up and then post here, but did not bother to provide examples or a link? That's odd.

Tell me...was the plagiarized part about Obamacare or leaving Iraq?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:17 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,209,248 times
watching the running CD commentary about the SOTUA is almost as painful as listening to my sister-in-law and her friends talk about the Kardashians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies