Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 03:25 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Excellent point. Should the Jewish baker be forced to make a custom cake for Hitlers birthday?
Should a black baker be forced to make a custom cake praising KKK anniversary?
There was nothing objectionable about either cake. In fact the discussion in both cases didn't even get past the who's getting married question. If either couple wanted a cake covered in penises, or something, then yes deny them those decorations. But a basic wedding cake with several tiers, fondant, ribbon, and flowers. What would be objectionable about that?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:27 PM

804 posts, read 618,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
IF the "custom product" theory was so great, why hasn't it been used in any of the cases that have been to trial?

Just wait. In my eyes its an important factor as the baker didn't simply refuse a sale of his products but rather refused to provide a custom product. It's a big difference.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:31 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Excellent point. Should the Jewish baker be forced to make a custom cake for Hitlers birthday?
Should a black baker be forced to make a custom cake praising KKK anniversary?
Is Hitler or the KKK a protected class?

Quote:
Just wait. In my eyes its an important factor as the baker didn't simply refuse a sale of his products but rather refused to provide a custom product. It's a big difference.
The closest either case has come is trying a freedom of expression defense, which was shot down in both the bakery and the photographer cases citing several cases as precedence.

9 posts, read 6,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The baker, as I've pointed out in another post in this thread, makes a CUSTOM PRODUCT. He was not refusing to sell a mass produced, "off the shelf" product available for anyone, but he was asked to make a CUSTOM CAKE for this particular party. This amounts to a contract where there is an offer of service, with a corresoponding acceptance of that offer. The baker has no obligation to make that offer to anyone. No offer made, no cake. He cannot be forced into making a contract with another party if he chooses not to.

I used to be in the ceramic tile business, as a self employed contractor. I turned work down on occassion for various reasons. I did not offer to do the job after visiting the home and seeing the job site. It was my choice. There is no law that says I have to do any job that comes along. That would be "involuntary servitude" (Amendment XIII of the U.S. Constitution).

The baker would be forced not only into involuntary servitude, if he were forced to produce this CUSTOM PRODUCT, he would also be forced into violating his religious convictions by dignifying what he believes is a perversion and corruption of the sacred right of Holy Matrimony, and making a mockery of God.

No law should be allowed to stand that would force a person to violate their religion in this way.
Re using religious conviction to discriminate against a group: Where does this end? There are, literally, two billion different interpretations of Christianity alone, based on individual differences, not to mention thousands of different Christian groups, all with their own sins and virtues. If you allow one person to discriminate against gays in the name of religious conviction, will you allow another to discriminate against Jews in the name of religious conviction? If you want to okay discrimination against gays, but keep Jews protected, how will you do that without violating the religious conscience of the anti-Semite?

Re custom products and your ceramic business: When you refused to work on a specific site, did you ever openly state that you were refusing service to a black man, SIMPLY BECAUSE he was a black man? Do you believe that you would have gotten away with it?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:53 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
IF the "custom product" theory was so great, why hasn't it been used in any of the cases that have been to trial?
Good question. The Thirteenth Amendment aspect was brought up in an article I read, and the article also asked that question. I thought it was a valid argument (I do not recall if the author was an attorney). I think by now it is moot, because I believe that the bakery has chosen to close. He probably should have filed an appeal and found better representation. I think he could have won on that basis.

He should have contacted the ACLJ.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Good question. The Thirteenth Amendment aspect was brought up in an article I read, and the article also asked that question. I thought it was a valid argument (I do not recall if the author was an attorney). I think by now it is moot, because I believe that the bakery has chosen to close. He probably should have filed an appeal and found better representation. I think he could have won on that basis.

He should have contacted the ACLJ.
I have read the court cases from the NM photographer case and the Colorado bakery case, the Oregon case hasn't been heard yet. Neither of the cases that have been to court have tried a 13th amendment defense.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:48 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
No one is FORCING Augusta to change their rules. They can choose to change them at any time they want.
Just like Curves could CHOOSE to allow men. Again, if it is a private club they have the option of allowing or denying anyone membership.
People are TRYING to make Augusta change their rules. Can you cite an example of someone TRYING to make a women's only club change their rules?

Old 01-30-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
People are TRYING to make Augusta change their rules. Can you cite an example of someone TRYING to make a women's only club change their rules?
Augusta has already CHOSEN to change their admission rules. No one forced them to do so. People can fuss and complain, but that is not forcing anyone to do anything. If the government came in and made Augusta or Curves change their rules, then that would be FORCE.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:01 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Is Hitler or the KKK a protected class?
Equal Protection Clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies