Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 06:14 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,431,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And unfortunately, no law can stop maniacs like that from legally obtaining guns, either. Which needs to change.
How do you know he had any symptoms of a maniac prior to this incident?

Old 01-27-2014, 06:15 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
It shouldn't happen in the first place.
Ah, a leftist who gets it.

Quote:
A car is an absurd comparison.
Is that why you're avoiding answering the questions?

Quote:
And it would at least give them fair warning.
Is that important to you in assesing a murder spree?

Quote:
And given he wouldn't be able to build up too much speed they probably would've survived this attack.
Obviously they didn't in my scenario. Why else would I make the comparison?

Quote:
Face it Little Acorn, your fighting a losing battle here.
Ummm... what battle am I "losing"?

Old 01-27-2014, 06:15 PM

608 posts, read 482,212 times
Anyone think that in his old age maybe he seriously thought they were breaking into his property? Old age could be senile or just have Alzheimer's? What he did is f'ed up but its a possibility...should have at least yelled at them first they could have explained who they were and what they were doing...man people are to quick to pull a trigger.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:19 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The average annual cost to incarcerate a prisoner in W. VA is $26, 400. Given this guy's age, the cost to keep him in prison will be greater than average. Too bad W. Va. abolished the death penalty, in 1965.
Hahaha you are on just about every abusive cop thread giving the thugs the benefit of the doubt and excusing their actions, but here you are ready to fry the guy. Must be the uniform has you brainwashed.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:26 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is sadly not shocking me anymore. Honestly, this is the way I see it. If a person is not initiating force, not reason to shoot. If one breaks into your house, then ok, shoot. If a person happens to be on your property, be watchful, but no shooting necessary. If a person does not know he's on your property, then shooting said person is definitely not called for.
Excellent points ... my thoughts exactly.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:50 PM

15,528 posts, read 10,496,731 times
He's an idiot, can't believe he didn't even issue a warning.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:56 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
BTW, if he had not used a gun, but had run over them with his car instead, would the leftist fanatics be screaming to ban cars from civilian ownership? Would they be standing first in line to turn their own cars in?

Would rightist fanatics be screaming cars shouldn't need to be registered?

Old 01-27-2014, 07:00 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Maybe the homeowner was just being proactive. Nip the problem in the butt before it starts.

(I'm kidding folks!!)

Old 01-27-2014, 07:04 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
West Virginia -2:30pm Saturday afternoon - Garrick Hopkins (60) and his brother were checking out a suburban property he had recently purchased. Next door neighbor Rodney Black (62) thought they were on his property and shot and killed both from long range with no warning. Black claims they were breaking into his shed but the shed is on Hopkins' property.

UPDATE: Details of Deadly Cabell Shootings Released in Court Documents
West Virginia man kills new neighbor without warning, thinking it's his property: cops * - NY Daily News
Maybe it's something in the water?

Old 01-27-2014, 07:22 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And unfortunately, no law can stop maniacs like that from legally obtaining guns, either. Which needs to change.
No law can prevent any manic from committing an act of violence, once they set their mind to doing it. Murders using various weapons happen every day in every country of the world. Mother in laws poisoning daughter in laws that they hate. Mom drowning her children in the car, the bath tub or a wading pool.

In this case a deranged man, most likely known to be a lunatic, had a firearm. There are an estimated 300 million privately owned fire arms in the country and out of all of those a relatively small number are used to commit a homicide.
I am a believer in gun registration. I own a few fire arms and used to compete. I don't fear registering my weapons. I am for waiting periods. if you can't wait a week to take your new toy home then maybe you need to re-evaluate why you need the gun in the first place. Would registration or a waiting period have prevented this murder? Doubtful.
I am for shrinks having to alert the police when they have a patient that can pose a risk to the public.
What I am against is banning law abiding citizens from owning fire arms because a very low percentage of people abuse the right.
It is truly a tragic incident. A man bought a piece of property, he was proud, happy and most likely excited about the future and a scum bag jerk stole it from him. The man who ambushed and killed those men is a low life scum bag. I hope he rots in prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies