Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times

Advertisements

Fox Sports article (broken link)

Quote:
There's a reason I call them the Black KKK. The pain, the fear and the destruction are all the same.
Someone who loved Sean Taylor is crying right now. The life they knew has been destroyed, an 18-month-old baby lost her father, and, if you're a black man living in America, you've been reminded once again that your life is in constant jeopardy of violent death.
Jason Whitlock article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,436 times
That was definately a well-written and thought provoking article however I think his reference to a "black KKK" is inflammatory.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
That was definately a well-written and thought provoking article however I think his reference to a "black KKK" is inflammatory.
I suspect that was Whitlock's intention. It certainly caught my attention.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:37 PM

478 posts, read 959,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
But, c'mon... let's be real.... Bill O'Reilly has said things equally inflammatory... and you probably kept on painting your toenails as you were watching.

And as far as this unfortunate story of Sean Taylor goes - all I can say is that is obviously tragic.

But....this ain't Joe Namath's NFL anymore - where a bad night meant waking up with an empty bottle of Wild Turkey and a blonde who's name you didn't catch at the autograph signing the night before.

According to a segment I saw on ESPN, many professional athletes carry... or own a gun for personal protection. Which, hey, I have no problem with... but it surely is a sign of the times...

ESPN - OTL: Athletes and Guns - ESPN

Old 11-28-2007, 11:07 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,261 times
This is a tragic ending to another young life. Jason needs to sit down somewhere, even though some of the things he says I agree with, he just "goes a bit to far".

Obviously Sean was young but not one that was mixed up in crime or socializing with the wrong crowd. If that was the case, then more than likely he would have been in possession of a weapon to protect himself, his family and his home. Because his only form of protection was a machete, then I would venture to say that he was on the path to becoming a "man".
He wasn't hanging out at strip clubs parading around with a "crew" of friends. So I think it is unfair for the media to focus on his few shortcomings that occured when he was still on a path to realizing his dreams.

I do hope that they catch the punks that committed this senseless crime. I have a feeling that they were just as scared and never came face to face with Sean, otherwise the home would have been robbed and the girlfriend would have probably been shot too.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:05 AM

383 posts, read 722,728 times
The NFL is strict, they dont let players have guns at now time. That is sad because if he had a gun when they broke in he could have shot back.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:33 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post

Obviously Sean was young but not one that was mixed up in crime or socializing with the wrong crowd.
Actually he was still on probation from an assault charge in 2006. I think the article is factual if somewhat hard to take.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Like many in the NFL, Taylor was a quasi-thug. The game itself is based on violence, aggression, and intimidation. Once you reach the professional level at that sort of thing, what sort of crowd do you expect to have hanging around? By many accounts, Taylor had turned something of a corner since the birth of his child and was cleaning up his act. All well and good, but I believe Mike Tyson had a few such moments of revelation as well. The circumstances here do make this an entirely senseless and tragic event regardless of who was victimized by it, but the effort (quite noticeable here in the DC area) to turn him into some sort of icon for a great guy martyred is a bit of a stretch at best...

Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Like many in the NFL, Taylor was a quasi-thug. The game itself is based on violence, aggression, and intimidation. Once you reach the professional level at that sort of thing, what sort of crowd do you expect to have hanging around? By many accounts, Taylor had turned something of a corner since the birth of his child and was cleaning up his act. All well and good, but I believe Mike Tyson had a few such moments of revelation as well. The circumstances here do make this an entirely senseless and tragic event regardless of who was victimized by it, but the effort (quite noticeable here in the DC area) to turn him into some sort of icon for a great guy martyred is a bit of a stretch at best...
Tyson is past age 40 and still has yet to turn his life around-----he got busted here in Arizona a few months ago and had to serve a day in Joe's jail.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:55 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Mr Whitlock better hope that the killer does not turn out to be white or Latino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies