Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 10:37 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,624,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He seems very concerned with making sure these 18 year olds get money to go to college.
I'm sure he's been made aware that barely 30% graduate from a 2 year college and barely 50% graduate from a 4 year college yet he voices little concern over that.
Got any links to back up your claims? or are you just spouting out random percentages as if you know everything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,260,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedCabbage View Post
Two reasons that should be obvious to everyone:

1) 4 more years of liberal indoctination. Presumably eaten up by all (or almost all) who attend college. 12 years of windmills and egaiitarianism aren't enough. I guess they think it takes 16 years for you think that it is imperative that you share with third world babies fathered by tribal bullies living in dirt huts (whether you want to or not!) For some reason its very very important to them. BTW, has been for a long time.

2) College is big business. No, excuse me...I mean BIG business. Fannie Freddie, the whole gang, including people you haven't the foggiest clue who they are, are making big bucks on tuition that has increased what? like 1000%? It's like getting a mortgage that you plan to spend the next 20 yrs paying off but you can't live in it. Get it?

If you don't you're just like the rest. Good effin' luck, sucker.

I taught college level courses on and off for 30 years. 40% of those students had absolutely no business being there.
You taught college? That's a very sobering thought.
I expect most college professors to be able to cobble a coherent sentence together, at the very least.
Maybe you were talking about Clown College? Hamburger U?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 PM

3,557 posts, read 4,079,914 times
I remember when Rick Santorum called Obama a snob for wanting people to go to college. He must have got his BA, MBA, and JD degrees just to be ironic then, huh?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,474,276 times
I don't think Obama exactly wants these students to work and put themselves through college, it's just another grab of money from working people, the taxpayers. He means to get government involved and of course paying for it with our hard earned money.

Also as long as these students remain in college, they don't get counted as unemployed.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:50 PM

136 posts, read 175,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
I know right? Who needs teachers, engineers, doctors, nurses, psychologists, journalists, lawyers, or educated people in general?
Sure, those professions are needed, and you could make the argument that they benefit greatly from having a B.A./B.S., but more people get a B.A./B.S. than end up in those fields. How many Psychology majors graduate every year compared to the number of psychologists demanded in the economy? Engineering is the undergraduate discipline that is most like vocational training, and yet how many people who study Engineering get jobs as engineers? A lot of Engineering majors these days are working at Sales in Engineering firms. Why can't someone just study for the LSAT and BAR exam right after high school? Abraham Lincoln taught himself to be a lawyer. Was he an incompetent lawyer because he didn't spend 4 years and $100,000 in classrooms?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:51 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,822,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's very very few programs worth considering at Penn State. They used to have a nice collection of faculty... but it's really thinned out. What's going on with their NSF rank?

I went to a small private college in my small town (princeton, nj). The tuition rate is high compared to other schools. But they pay most of your tuition for you. Even then, the full tuition is still more affordable than it used to be.

If you look at tuition rates between 1100's and 1800's, college was much further out of reach for middle class than it is today.
Good question. PSU hasn't seen good days especially since the Sandusky scandal. Looked at the NSF rankings for R&D in my state, and it's University of Pittsburgh that's at the top at #12, not PSU.

This is true, considering that before the 1950s, college was mostly affordable only to those kids that were from families who would have had the money to send their kids to private school. It's all about making smart choices. Kids that opt to join party schools and spend $20k+ per year in tuition, room and board only have themselves to blame.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:52 PM

23,099 posts, read 28,825,029 times
Formal education is a surefire way of crushing your intelligence, over-emphasize the left side of the brain and starve the right side of the brain!

Just look at our President! There's the evidence for ya!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 PM

3,557 posts, read 4,079,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't think Obama exactly wants these students to work and put themselves through college, it's just another grab of money from working people, the taxpayers. He means to get government involved and of course paying for it with our hard earned money.

Also as long as these students remain in college, they don't get counted as unemployed.
Any evidence to support this, or are you just throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks? It was Bush that expanded Pell grants after all but shh.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,010,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
Sure, those professions are needed, and you could make the argument that they benefit greatly from having a B.A./B.S., but more people get a B.A./B.S. than end up in those fields. How many Psychology majors graduate every year compared to the number of psychologists demanded in the economy? Engineering is the undergraduate discipline that is most like vocational training, and yet how many people who study Engineering get jobs as engineers? A lot of Engineering majors these days are working at Sales in Engineering firms. Why can't someone just study for the LSAT and BAR exam right after high school? Abraham Lincoln taught himself to be a lawyer. Was he an incompetent lawyer because he didn't spend 4 years and $100,000 in classrooms?
Psychology doesn't translate to only psychologists. Psychology graduates are big in the software industry.

Engineering studies the field from an academic level. It's not hands on like a trade school.

Lincoln was able to teach himself because he was competent enough to read and comprehend. Not everyone has that capability. Just look at you. This thread already discusses most of your points... and even touches on the fact that anywhere to a 6-figure debt is very uncommon at the undergraduate level. But either didn't read or grasp that.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,010,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Good question. PSU hasn't seen good days especially since the Sandusky scandal. Looked at the NSF rankings for R&D in my state, and it's University of Pittsburgh that's at the top at #12, not PSU.

This is true, considering that before the 1950s, college was mostly affordable only to those kids that were from families who would have had the money to send their kids to private school. It's all about making smart choices. Kids that opt to join party schools and spend $20k+ per year in tuition, room and board only have themselves to blame.
It was way before Sandusky that PSU dropped off. I'm not saying it's a bad school. It has good programs. But when you have Penn and CMU available to you, why go to PSU?

College has traditionally been available to students to emphasize education and those with money. Anyone who wants to go to college for cheap has the option available to them. All they have to do is be competitive in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies