Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Highly-educated people often look down on blue-collar workers as inferior and uneducated (therefore unintelligent). I come from a family of farmers and though they're not college-educated (though one started culinary school), they're very intelligent. Conversely, I interact with plenty of college-educated people who are absolute morons.

As long as trades are treated as the jobs "those too dumb to go to college do" by elitist snobs, they're going to be treated that way. It's much better to encourage both the trades path and the college path to young people and accurately portray the pros/cons of each path.
Yep. What a sad view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Goosing the economy is a function of government spending. The entire defense industry and businesses that support those employed in this industry would collapse if continued government spending ceased.

How much of Walmart's business is dependent upon the continued flow of SNAP and other welfare benefits?

How much of Pepsico's retail sales are dependent upon SNAP and other welfare benefits?

How much of a hospital's income depends on Medicare and Medicaid payments?

How many private contractors would fail if federal, state, county and municipalities no longer had the funds or ability to create new debt to repair, restore and build new infrastructure?

This belief that somehow, someway one's income and standard of living is not ultimately

dependent upon federal, state, county and municipal goosing is short- sighted.
Excellent point, and the funny thing, the percentage of GDP tied to government seems to be higher in rural, poor, conservative communities. That is largely due to the fact corporate America rightfully chooses to avoid these areas, as the pool of good applicants are few and far between.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
You need to send her the definition of garnishment. Tax refunds seized. And that is exactly what should occur.
... and the effect of COMPOUND INTEREST by not making the payments.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
... and the effect of COMPOUND INTEREST by not making the payments.
If I were her uncle, I'd look forward to the garnishment period where she'll have to add a 2nd low-skill job to have enough to get by on. The lesson should hit her than.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
[quote=Vejadu;33234156]Highly-educated people often look down on blue-collar workers as inferior and uneducated (therefore unintelligent). I come from a family of farmers and though they're not college-educated (though one started culinary school), they're very intelligent. Conversely, I interact with plenty of college-educated people who are absolute morons.

As long as trades are treated as the jobs "those too dumb to go to college do" by elitist snobs, they're going to be treated that way. It's much better to encourage both the trades path and the college path to young people and accurately portray the pros/cons of each path.[/------------------------------------------------------------/-//////////////////////-//////////////

Snobbery meet reverse snobbery?

At one point in time I lived around the cornor from a plumber. There was a limo with engine running 24/7 in the driveway. His " small business" had the contract for the NY/NJ port authority. No one looked down on this Tony Soprano lookalike.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:57 AM

577 posts, read 435,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Tell that to a master carpenter/plumber/electrician. Tell that to a licensed general contractor with a 5 star rating on Angie's List. Tell that to my landscaper who makes more than I do running his own business. Tell that to a head chef at any upscale restaurant.

There are sooooooo many ways to make righteous money outside white collar salary exempt jobs, and only elitist fools think otherwise. In my office building right now, a crew of Amish carpenters is remaking two of our boardrooms. If you think those quaint blue collar folks aren't making mad coin doing so....you need to step away from the pipe.

I paid an electrician $200 to move my chandelier box like 6 feet. It took him 2 hours. Do the math yourself and tell me again how only white collar jobs can provide a good living.

NO one is saying there aren't any ways outside of a college education to make a "righteous" living. .I dind't say that.. but there aren't many.

And even those require SKILLS either taught or learned on the job. Someone, one day, isn't going to decide o be a "master carpenter" and then become a "master carpetner".

And.. my fiance is in the building business - he draws plans for builders, even architects and makes them code compliant and in some cases energy compliant. There is one thing I've observed through his business about builders.. they are good at building things. .. terrible at runing a business. Why? Because they were never taught the fundamentals of running one - strategic pricing, etc. They are often forced to try to become something they are not really good at without focusing on what they ARE really good at.. building!!!! Same goes for electrians and plumbers.

But not everyone is going to be able to be a master of any of those things. I certainly SUCK at anything like that - nor do I want to do it, not because I'm lazy.. but because its' just not my thing.

The bottom line is without any kind of training or EDUCATION you are more likely to have a LOW PAYING job... and are unlikely to get a higher one. There are exceptions.. but even those exceptions have limitations with lack of education.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:02 AM

13,944 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Highly-educated people often look down on blue-collar workers as inferior and uneducated (therefore unintelligent). I come from a family of farmers and though they're not college-educated (though one started culinary school), they're very intelligent. Conversely, I interact with plenty of college-educated people who are absolute morons.

As long as trades are treated as the jobs "those too dumb to go to college do" by elitist snobs, they're going to be treated that way. It's much better to encourage both the trades path and the college path to young people and accurately portray the pros/cons of each path.
Absolutely.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
NO one is saying there aren't any ways outside of a college education to make a "righteous" living. .I dind't say that.. but there aren't many.

And even those require SKILLS either taught or learned on the job. Someone, one day, isn't going to decide o be a "master carpenter" and then become a "master carpetner".

And.. my fiance is in the building business - he draws plans for builders, even architects and makes them code compliant and in some cases energy compliant. There is one thing I've observed through his business about builders.. they are good at building things. .. terrible at runing a business. Why? Because they were never taught the fundamentals of running one - strategic pricing, etc. They are often forced to try to become something they are not really good at without focusing on what they ARE really good at.. building!!!! Same goes for electrians and plumbers.

But not everyone is going to be able to be a master of any of those things. I certainly SUCK at anything like that - nor do I want to do it, not because I'm lazy.. but because its' just not my thing.

The bottom line is without any kind of training or EDUCATION you are more likely to have a LOW PAYING job... and are unlikely to get a higher one. There are exceptions.. but even those exceptions have limitations with lack of education.
The problem is that many young folks don't want these apprentice jobs.
They think they know it all and "deserve" more.

I'm in a small rural town.
Two master electricians there run their businesses.
They also have licensed journeymen working under them.
No apprentices though and they haven't had any for years.
None of the HS graduates ever approached them and haven't for years.

College or bust has been drummed into their heads since Kindergarten.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

The shorter version is a rule I have lived by and advise younger people to follow, and this a true original philosophy here - the keys to success are reading books nobody wants to read, doing a job nobody wants to do, or some combination of the two.

Look at every lucrative profession/business in this country, and you'll see that rule working almost universally outside of politics, and even politics is really a job nobody wants to do, because the thought of having your whole life examined with an obsessed media's microscope is very unappealing to most people.
Is there anyone who really wants to clean toilets? It's one of many, many honest jobs that no one wants to do and like the fry cooker, no amount of hours will enable one to accumulate wealth.

I do agree that most high income earners work substantially more hours in professions that are highly valued and thus very competitive.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The problem is that many young folks don't want these apprentice jobs.
They think they know it all and "deserve" more.

I'm in a small rural town.
Two master electricians there run their businesses.
They also have licensed journeymen working under them.
No apprentices though and they haven't had any for years.
None of the HS graduates ever approached them and haven't for years.

College or bust has been drummed into their heads since Kindergarten.
and if they wanted them, as the poster you responded to stated well, 99% of them would still be left with college or bust, as these electricians could not absorb more than 1%, I'd bet, of all hs local grads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies