Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 07:12 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Last time I checked it took both a man and a woman to engage in unprotected sex which can result in a kid with no means of support...........creating generational poverty.

Giving half the equation a free pass does not compute. This "men can't help themselves" thing is bs.

Men DON'T get pregnant..........and women PUPOSELY get preggers to scoop up the Baby Momma Bennies and/or extract bennies from the guy who knocked her up.

Do you support these scammer women........just because you are a woman???? Hey.........most rapists are guys, and I am a guy...............SO I WILL START SUPPORTING RAPISTS, YEEEEEHWAW!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Who needs a Art History / French Literature double major???
Some kids are simply treating college as hobby. College is to get education you can later use in your professional career.

Fortunately not all kids go for art history / philosophy / gender studies majors...

Before badmouthing people with college degrees remember that it wasn't your mechanics, electricians or carpenters that made Internet reality.
My personal physician majored in art history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
Sure, those professions are needed, and you could make the argument that they benefit greatly from having a B.A./B.S., but more people get a B.A./B.S. than end up in those fields. How many Psychology majors graduate every year compared to the number of psychologists demanded in the economy? Engineering is the undergraduate discipline that is most like vocational training, and yet how many people who study Engineering get jobs as engineers? A lot of Engineering majors these days are working at Sales in Engineering firms. Why can't someone just study for the LSAT and BAR exam right after high school? Abraham Lincoln taught himself to be a lawyer. Was he an incompetent lawyer because he didn't spend 4 years and $100,000 in classrooms?
Maybe because the law is way more complex than when Lincoln did it. It is absurd to compare the preparation of a lawyer today to the prep of one almost 200 years ago.

Quote:
And which of our presidents in the past 100 years wasn't a college grad? Lol
Harry Truman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They don't send newbies out on the job by themselves.
Only licensed journeymen can actually DO the work.

I said "OJT" which is on the the training.
Yes there are trade schools but they are not required to get into the field.
A master electrician willing to take apprentices is all it takes.

Acing algebra in 9th grade is not a pre-requisite.
Many learn the specific math needed for the job.

That's how the trades jobs worked. You graduated HS and became an apprentice.
You learned and studied on your own and when ready took your certification exam.

There is no requirement for post HS education before becoming an apprentice.
Electricians : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
That was a pretty simplistic outline. Here's some more information about becoming an electrician.
Electrician: Educational Requirements and Career Profile
Candidates who hold high school diplomas or the equivalent may apply to become apprentices through various unions, such as the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers or the National Electrical Contractors Association. Completion of these 4-year programs allows apprentices to become journeymen and work on both construction and repair projects. . . .Apprentices receive approximately 600 hours of in-class instruction on safety principles, electrical circuits and blueprint reading. Aside from learning in the classroom, apprentices also receive on-the-job training under the supervision of experienced electricians. Apprentices may practice wiring outlets and soldering electrical components.

It's more than following a master electrician around.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:41 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

I am a conservative and am, frankly, tired of the anti-intellectualism streak in the Republican Party. We need an educated populace.

I agree, but for us to have an educated populace, we would need most of Rural America, which largely prides itself on ignorance, to secede.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:37 PM

804 posts, read 618,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My personal physician majored in art history.
I really hope it's not his only education....

Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Indoctrination. Ever notice how people right out of college all think the same? Green energy, no God, and the state knows best.
Books are for Communists!!!!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:46 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000;33229837[B
]We also have an oversupply of people studying Social Sciences & History. Things which are essentially hobbies. These people are waiting tables until they're 50 y/o & complaining about their student loan debt.[/b] To address the under-supply of engineers, scientists & doctors we just import foreign students.

Oh man, LMFAO............I wish I could have spelled it out so clearly!

Most sane people should look to education as a way to gain skill/knowledge that will allows them to make a good living. They can study about the Moaning Lissa and Fred Neechee in their spare time.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
I really hope it's not his only education....
SHE went to medical school as well.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:02 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
Why does Obama think we need more overeducated, underskilled adults?

College is debt, college keeps young minds full of liberal mush longer and college means when they get out they will have no jobs. If there are no jobs and since these college kids never worked a real job will blame republicans after their 4 years of college liberalism and vote for more democrats to find ways to get them out of college debt. At the tax payer expense.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:03 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Why is he obsessed with sending people to college?

Maybe he read this forum one evening?
Lol, word.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:04 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Because it keeps us slaves to the banks and therefore the government, who bails out the banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies