Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:33 PM

Location: I live in Ronan, MT but am stationed in Virginia Beach
290 posts, read 690,262 times

Advertisements

World Tribune
Thursday, November 29, 2007

China’s anti-satellite and space warfare program includes plans to destroy or incapacitate 'every enemy space vehicle' that passes over China.
The annual report of the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, released last week, listed among Beijing's goals that of ensuring that Chinese space weapons are “conducted covertly so China can maintain a positive international image.” China has called for a ban on space weapons at the United Nations.

The report said that China also is developing civilian technology that can be applied to military space programs and is acquiring the “ability to destroy or temporarily incapacitate every enemy space vehicle when it is located above China,” the report said.

The Chinese also plan to attack U.S. global positioning system (GPS) satellites through various means, including anti-satellite weapons, high-energy weapons, high-energy weather monitoring rockets and ground attacks on earth-based stations.

One section of the report, based on public and classified briefings, concluded there was a need for more information about Chinese activities and intentions.

Research from nearly 100 Chinese sources identified 30 proposals and recommendations by Chinese military leaders “regarding the development of space and counter-space weapons and programs.”

The military is also developing stealth satellites and a space program that will “provide key support for Chinese combat forces.”

“Some of these proposals appear to have been implemented already, as evidenced by January’s kinetic anti-satellite test and earlier laser incidents involving American satellites,” the report said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 03:41 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times
We need our own star wars program. No weapons in space sounds great when sitting in front of a UN panel, but in reality who wouldn't want the upper hand. We should implement our own while keeping it a secret, much like our stealth fighter/bomber program was.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:41 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,544 times
They better be carefull, or we'll cut off their wal mart outlets here....

Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 PM

982 posts, read 3,306,963 times
Hi Daniel,

(My brother-in-law is a Lt.Cmdr. stationed at Virginia Beach)

This situation with China worries me, but I don't think that their ability to take out our satellites would hurt us that badly. It would slow us down, but we did just fine in combat without that technology. Hell, let's fire up the Missouri. They'll never see her coming.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see the war game scenarios we've cooked up. I look forward to a long discussion with my BIL about it over the holidays. What are your thoughts about all of this? Are you also in the Navy?

Old 11-29-2007, 04:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
how odd that we like to make our enemies rich thru our trading practices.
first the mid east, then china.
i figure if we cannt defend our borders tryin to defend outerspace is probably not
up for discussion.
ohh well.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:58 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Satellites, like aircraft carrier groups, are going to be fully vulnerable in a conflict with any country with a modern military. The solution is not to put all our eggs in those fragile baskets.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:36 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Satellites, like aircraft carrier groups, are going to be fully vulnerable in a conflict with any country with a modern military. The solution is not to put all our eggs in those fragile baskets.
A carrier is a big target. The challenge is getting through all its defences. Easier said than done.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:58 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
A carrier group in a real shooting war with an advanced military is just one huge floating target. They are vulnerable from below (submarines, as the Chinese recently demonstrated), from above (missile storms, EMP bursts, etc.), and from the sides (sea-hugging anti-ship missiles like Chinese Silkworms or Russian Sunburns, or even low-tech catamaran-based suicide attacks by swarms of boaters).

US military planning more or less assumes that carrier groups will get sunk in a major confrontation with an advanced military, simply because those things are so big (and therefore impossible to protect from all threats).

Last edited by tablemtn; 11-29-2007 at 08:14 PM..

Old 11-29-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
Hi Daniel,

(My brother-in-law is a Lt.Cmdr. stationed at Virginia Beach)

This situation with China worries me, but I don't think that their ability to take out our satellites would hurt us that badly. It would slow us down, but we did just fine in combat without that technology. Hell, let's fire up the Missouri. They'll never see her coming.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see the war game scenarios we've cooked up. I look forward to a long discussion with my BIL about it over the holidays. What are your thoughts about all of this? Are you also in the Navy?
I'm in the Navy yes, I do tons of research, actually thats all I do anymore when I'm stuck here at my Barracks. There is a lot of scary stuff out there that the american people need to take a look at I'm a E4 at Little Creek VA.

Did you see my other post on china's "Build Up"? here is the link
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...finds-u-s.html

Old 11-29-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
A carrier is a big target. The challenge is getting through all its defences. Easier said than done.
I'm a US Sailor and I know for a fact that even Iran has the capability to take out the entire fith fleet in the Persian Gulf. Here is a link to it:

The Agenda to Sacrifice the Fifth Fleet The New Pearl Harbor

The above scenario is very plausible given the military capacities of Iran’s anti-ship cruise missiles and the U.S. Navy’s vulnerability to these while operating in the Persian Gulf. The Bush administration has hidden from the American public the full extent of the Fifth Fleet’s vulnerability, and how it could be trapped and destroyed in a full scale conflict with Iran. This is best evidenced by the controversial decision to downplay the real results of the Millennium Challenge wargames and the dissenting views of Lt. General Van Riper over the lessons to be learned. This culminated in General Van Riper joining a group of retired generals in calling for the resignation of Donald Rumsfeld.

Last edited by DanielRead; 11-29-2007 at 08:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies