Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:37 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sorry, no that is not how the law works.
Im a software engineer, Bob is a software engineer. Both of us work on the same project. Bob is paid mroe then me. Why? Because he is better then I at this job. BUT if I wanted to I could easily represent facts that would make ME appear better.

Yes this is how real life works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 01:38 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I have stayed home with my kid when sick many times. There goes your neanderthal theory.
So is that typical of American Males? NO. Neanderthal theory back in play.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Im a software engineer, Bob is a software engineer. Both of us work on the same project. Bob is paid mroe then me. Why? Because he is better then I at this job. BUT if I wanted to I could easily represent facts that would make ME appear better.

Yes this is how real life works.
If you accept it. I have no idea your exact situation. If there are 3 employee's where you work they are not under the same restrictions as larger employers but 1-2 people here or there getting paid less will never change.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that is true, not everyone gets the same pay. a person on the job for five years is going to be paid more than a person at the same job for two years. isnt seniority grand?
Seniority is a relic of organized labor.

Most corporate employers of non organized labor work forces no longer automatically give employees a bump for having survived another year. Jobs descriptions are assigned a minimum, midpoint and maximums, pegged to expected time to achieve full competency, inflation, local supply and demand for a particular job and the company's own policies and profitability.

It might take one employee 7 years to hit the pay ceiling and another employee 4 years, based on performance. Regardless, both are capped and further increases will likely be limited to inflation.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:42 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
The last time I worked for Boeing (1970), the female riveters were making EXACTLY the same as the male riveters.
The air tanker outfit I worked for during the late '80s - early '90s had a couple of female A&P mechanics. They made EXACTLY the same hourly rate that the male mechs did, IF they were working on contract aircraft. However, they didn't want to travel, so during the summer the male paychecks were considerably bigger than those of the female workers. The difference was the Davis-Bacon Prevailing wage rate while working on contracted aircraft, and the overtime. A 10 to 12 hour night at a forward air tanker base was not at all uncommon. The women didn't want to do that.
During the winter everybody got the same hourly rate.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sorry, but I've seen this, women working at one of my jobs were paid HALF what I was-for doing the exact same job. The owner felt women should be at home caring for children I think.

What can the president do? Not a damn thing for a lot of it. They can nibble at the edges, but it will take the older folks dying for this to get out of our country I think.
I started working when it was common place for women to not be allowed to interview for certain jobs, where men were paid more for the same job and married men were paid more than women and single men. Federal and state laws and litigation changed all that.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:48 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,608 times
Women in my occupation make exactly the same amount as men.

This "pay gender gap" is nothing more than a way to get the women to vote Democrat. Surprised most of you have not caught onto that by now. We have the most lying and crooked politicians in American history right now, both parties.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The last time I worked for Boeing (1970), the female riveters were making EXACTLY the same as the male riveters.
Where I work it's all 100% the same. It has to be as it's federally mandated.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I started working when it was common place for women to not be allowed to interview for certain jobs, where men were paid more for the same job and married men were paid more than women and single men. Federal and state laws and litigation changed all that.
You started working before 1963?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Pay_Act_of_1963

Old 01-29-2014, 02:05 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The first thing would be for him to pay the women who work in the WH the same as men and go from there.
Yes, Obama should lead by example, rather than partaking in what he is complaining about, which is so typical of him.

In college we studied this issue and men on average work ~200 hours more a year - for whatever reason. If person A works 200 hours more a year than person B it seems like you would naturally make more money and be more likely to get promoted.

When you factored out that men tend to have higher paying jobs and men work 200 hours more a year...the pay gap closed down to about 4%.... Not the 77 cents to every dollar BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies