Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:32 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,819,717 times

Advertisements

Get ready... this will anger you.

If it wasn't enough that you must hear "for English, press 1. For Espanol, marque 2"....

If it wasn't enough that you cannot get GOVERNMENT jobs in many "US" cities like Miami, El Paso, etc.... unless you "habla Espanol".

If it wasn't enough that you have to hear people blarring in Espanol among other languages in the mall and hear blasting Spanish music at 3am in many neighborhoods in the USA, including Orlando, Miami, San Antonio, Lost Angeles, etc....

If it wasn't enough that in certain areas of the "US", most help-wanted ads that said “bilingual preferred”, but most of the time it says “ bilingual required.” Why is it OK to require both English and Spanish, but not English alone?

NOW to add insult to iunjury, our "lovely" Speaker of The House, Nancy Pelosi , wants to FORCE under threat of lawsuits that American companies to have to hire people who CANNOT or WILL NOT SPEAK ENGLISH!!

Guys this goes BEYOND illegal immigration. This has to do with American values, American culture, and American workers!! I know this is hard to believe, but it is true.

She wants to ammend the Civil Rights act to say that American companies be REQUIRED to hire people who cannot speak English.

I gotta tell you, I have not been this HOT since the amnesty sham/scam they tried to push in 2006 and 2007. This is an outrage!!!!

Is anyone else outraged as I am?!?!? Or am I the only one who sees the catastrophic results we will have, both legally and practically in the US workplace????

Here is the article:

In March the EEOC sued the Salvation Army because its thrift store in Framingham, Mass., required its employees to speak English on the job. The requirement was clearly posted and employees were given a year to learn the language. The EEOC claimed the store had fired two Hispanic employees for continuing to speak Spanish on the job. It said that the firings violated the law because the English-only policy was not "relevant" to job performance or safety.

OpinionJournal - John Fund on the Trail

Last edited by Nirvana-Guy; 11-20-2007 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 05:47 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,001,252 times
Pelosi really needs to watch her P's and Q's------I swear she ranks along the same level (or below) Bush 43 in screwing the American people.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:52 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,708,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Get ready... this will anger you.

If it wasn't enough that you must hear "for English, press 1. For Espanol, marque 2"....

If it wasn't enough that you cannot get GOVERNMENT jobs in many "US" cities like Miami, El Paso, etc.... unless you "habla Espanol".

If it wasn't enough that you have to hear people blarring in Espanol among other languages in the mall and hear blasting Spanish music at 3am in many neighborhoods in the USA, including Orlando, Miami, San Antonio, Lost Angeles, etc....

If it wasn't enough that in certain areas of the "US", most help-wanted ads that said “bilingual preferred”, but most of the time it says “ bilingual required.” Why is it OK to require both English and Spanish, but not English alone?

NOW to add insult to iunjury, our "lovely" Speaker of The House, Nancy Pelosi , wants to FORCE under threat of lawsuits that American companies to have to hire people who CANNOT or WILL NOT SPEAK ENGLISH!!

Guys this goes BEYOND illegal immigration. This has to do with American values, American culture, and American workers!! I know this is hard to believe, but it is true.

She wants to ammend the Civil Rights act to say that American companies be REQUIRED to hire people who cannot speak English.

I gotta tell you, I have not been this HOT since the amnesty sham/scam they tried to push in 2006 and 2007. This is an outrage!!!!

Is anyone else outraged as I am?!?!? Or am I the only one who sees the catastrophic results we will have, both legally and practically in the US workplace????

Here is the article:

In March the EEOC sued the Salvation Army because its thrift store in Framingham, Mass., required its employees to speak English on the job. The requirement was clearly posted and employees were given a year to learn the language. The EEOC claimed the store had fired two Hispanic employees for continuing to speak Spanish on the job. It said that the firings violated the law because the English-only policy was not "relevant" to job performance or safety.

OpinionJournal - John Fund on the Trail
She is the biggest critter in the swamp.........

Old 11-20-2007, 05:55 PM

36,629 posts, read 67,178,829 times
If we were smart, we'd lose the Dastardly Duo and make her our 43rd President until the next President(GOP or Dem)takes over in Jan '09.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:30 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,383,919 times
if my company does its work in english, and a worker refused to speak english. They would be fired, If my work involved spanish, and a worker refused to work in spanish... they would be fired.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:40 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,514,745 times
Nirvana Guy you have a way of distorting the truth to fit your extreme views. First of all if your read the article Pelosi was not in favor of doing this to "force" US companies as you say to hire people who don't speak English to be hired. She did something out of compromise to save millions of Americans from getting hit with the Alternative Minimum Tax.

If you are angered by this then direct that towards the members of the Hispanic Caucus who threatened not to vote for the relief millions of Americans unless Pelosi objected to Lamar's bill.

Also why would the Salvation Army hire only non English speaking employees in the first place if speaking English is one of their requirements to be employed in the first place? or where they just speaking Spanish on the job and got fired for it?

Pelosi is more concerned for giving relief to US Taxpayers than worrying about companies being sued by the EEOC (which she doesn't control their actions) so she comprised. You seem to have a very anti hispanic chip on your shoulder that borders on racism & that combined with your outright hatred for liberals clouds all sense of objectivity on your part.

Have a nice day.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:14 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,386,665 times
Pelosi is a big idiot who should thank her stars that she ever got into office!

Old 11-21-2007, 03:25 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,336,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Nirvana Guy you have a way of distorting the truth to fit your extreme views. First of all if your read the article Pelosi was not in favor of doing this to "force" US companies as you say to hire people who don't speak English to be hired. She did something out of compromise to save millions of Americans from getting hit with the Alternative Minimum Tax.

If you are angered by this then direct that towards the members of the Hispanic Caucus who threatened not to vote for the relief millions of Americans unless Pelosi objected to Lamar's bill.

Also why would the Salvation Army hire only non English speaking employees in the first place if speaking English is one of their requirements to be employed in the first place? or where they just speaking Spanish on the job and got fired for it?

Pelosi is more concerned for giving relief to US Taxpayers than worrying about companies being sued by the EEOC (which she doesn't control their actions) so she comprised. You seem to have a very anti hispanic chip on your shoulder that borders on racism & that combined with your outright hatred for liberals clouds all sense of objectivity on your part.

Have a nice day.
Ahhh, the voice of reason.

I think Nirvana Guy likes to see his name in type.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:57 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,951,889 times
Ditto here too. We have hired people who struggled with English based on their work history and work ethic, and worked with them as to their English and they with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
if my company does its work in english, and a worker refused to speak english. They would be fired, If my work involved spanish, and a worker refused to work in spanish... they would be fired.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:18 PM

708 posts, read 928,888 times
Smile Pelosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

Have a nice day.
I read the article. I agree with your interpretation. I'm not sure if Nirvana read the same article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies