Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:14 PM

801 posts, read 1,105,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
The employers are paying for their workers' time, the argument will go -- and if the employees don't like being accountable for how they spend that time, they can always choose to work elsewhere.

Opinion: How your boss can keep you on a leash - CNN.com

Hitachi says that the badges record and transmit to management "who talks to whom, how often, where and how energetically."

It tracks everything.

If you get up to walk around the office a lot, the badge sends information to management about how often you do it, and where you go.
If you stop to talk with people throughout the day, the badge transmits who you're talking to (by reading your co-workers' badges), and for how long.

No more goofing off, America. No more getting something for free. I suspect those who are against welfare, and drug monitoring will really dig these. No free rides, people.
Gotta like that last part...although I'm not sure if you're talking about the same crowd. The welfare hating clique is ultra pro-employer, so I'm pretty sure they dig drug monitoring as much as they hate lazy welfare slime. They will love it if the policy can be applied "with mgr discretion"...that means that if the mgr can concoct a pretext for having someone monitored, they can harass selected candidates.

..And that would not be fiction. I have been in work environments where a mgr can say that someone needs desktop monitoring because their "productivity has dropped" -when in fact, in my experience, they were artificially suppressing productivity with a rigged electronic work distribution system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 PM

801 posts, read 1,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Well, the simple fact of working America is that a lot of jobs are make-work nonsense, particularly in white collar land of what I call the Professional Meeting Attenders who do nothing all day every day except lower productivity and make sure conference rooms are hard to schedule. And having written productivity/profitability apps for three different companies, I can tell you that a lot of this data has always been tracked. I have tracked blue and white collar productivity and profitability, and I'd wager that a bunch of analysis my databases have provided assistance in more than one downsizing.

Bottom line, if you find that a big portion of your day is spent justifying your existence or attending meetings without really accomplishing anything except discussing the last meeting or scheduling the next one...yeah, someone like me is collecting and analyzing that data and you may want to have your resume in order. If you are out in the field and your work output is measurable at all, it is being measured, someone like me is collecting/crunching the measurements, and an executive somewhere knows down to the minute how productive you are.

And all corporations who go to this do so because their employment model is bloated. Granted, the wrong people get downsized half the time, but these workplace micromanagement tools are used to generate HR plausibility when reducing headcounts. Beware!
My boss needs to be downsized. He gets paid big bucks to walk around chatting with his subordinates all day everyday. This type of monitoring would be great to use on him. -Except at my company where no one can get anything done without a bleeping meeting, the monitors would only be used on non-exempt subordinates.

But hey, the NSA is peering into our private affairs, why not our employers, the hands that feed us! Corporate America is the real government that is running our country anyway.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:29 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,041,293 times
I do not favor these types of micro-management systems. For my company, I employed a results based culture. All of my employees are salary and your performance is judged on completing your tasks - analyzed for both accuracy and timeliness with built in rewards for doing something faster, better, etc. I don't care if I have employees taking three hour lunches or taking time off to go to a kid's school function. All I care about is the work getting done. I'm in an industry which allows this type of system. However, I can tell you that I've had nil turnover, have increased productivity, and outperform my competitors time and again because I deliver better products in less time.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:43 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,429,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I do not favor these types of micro-management systems. For my company, I employed a results based culture. All of my employees are salary and your performance is judged on completing your tasks - analyzed for both accuracy and timeliness with built in rewards for doing something faster, better, etc. I don't care if I have employees taking three hour lunches or taking time off to go to a kid's school function. All I care about is the work getting done. I'm in an industry which allows this type of system. However, I can tell you that I've had nil turnover, have increased productivity, and outperform my competitors time and again because I deliver better products in less time.
That was how I ran my company. It works if you manage the people who can't manage themselves. I only had a few over the years. I'm not one to babysit.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:47 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,041,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
That was how I ran my company. It works if you manage the people who can't manage themselves. I only had a few over the years. I'm not one to babysit.
Yep. Only have had one employee who didn't 'get it' and I had to let him go. Since all performance is based on tasking and he enjoyed the lack of micro-managing more than completing his tasking, it was pretty easy to fire him based on non-performance.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:15 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,429,673 times
If you're not doing anything wrong you've got nothing to worry about.

Oh wait, only liberal politicians can say that.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:32 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,216,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
Here's a really stupid, dumb idea. If you hire a person, you should show trust in them. If that person shows that they can not be trusted, fire them.
That's like nanny cams

If you suspect your nanny is beating your kids, why is she your nanny???

Old 02-03-2014, 08:38 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,848,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
With unions becoming less and less influential, corporations are free to treat their employees any way they want. Low pay, poor work conditions, unsafe workplaces, and even humiliating and degrading tracking monitors are just the beginning of the coming beat down of the American working men and women. You asked for it; you got it.

It's never too late to organize and fight back, but the Republicans are, at the direction of their corporate benefactors, slowly but surely dismantling the legal protections that labor fought so hard to achieve. The longer this goes on, the harder will be the fight to regain worker rights.
The thing is, are you asking for freedom, or from the protection of goofing off while getting paid?

Those are two different things. And I'm for goofing off. Without it, you get people jumping off buildings, like in China. How did they solve this? Put up some nets to catch those goof offs when they finally blow their stack. We used to do that with chickens. Catch them and put them right back with the others in the bard, making eggs.

Revealed: Inside Apple's Chinese 'sweatshop' factory where workers are paid just £1.12 per hour | Mail Online

Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,548,958 times
I got a better idea. Invest that money in paying employees more so they'll actually be concerned with doing their job

Old 02-03-2014, 08:50 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,848,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
90% of union members work for the government.

What legal protections did unions achieve are being dismantled ?
Republicans aren't involved with this.

Any company is free to buy those badges.
Says they've been producing them since 2007.
That's 7 years they've been in production and being used.
Who knows..maybe even the government bought some

What "worker rights" ?
You do sign papers when you get offered a job.
You do read them before you sign right ?
I do. I've always done this. It's why everyone knows you can't use Itunes in a foreign country. It's in the agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies