Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,003,949 times

Advertisements

So the homeowner was trying to sell a house that had a guest house in the backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 04:05 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,315,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So the homeowner was trying to sell a house that had a guest house in the backyard.

The homeowner was trying to sell the two houses separately; one to me and the other to a different person.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:11 PM

17,384 posts, read 11,896,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The homeowner was trying to sell the two houses separately; one to me and the other to a different person.
No, he was trying to split the lot into something smaller than the area was zoned for. Isn't that the case?

Old 02-24-2014, 04:42 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,104,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
All those stores seem a bit hoity toity to me. I just go to Safeway. Lol

That just seems misplaced anyway.
Trader Joe's is cheaper than Safeway on many, many items. I think TJs gets a reputation for being similar to a Whole Foods, and it isn't. It's MUCH cheaper. That's why it has a cult following.

And the whole thing about it being in a primarily black neighborhood is ridiculous. Since when to black people not want cheap produce and all sorts of other cheap, healthy food? Maybe there is some sort of cultural misunderstanding here, because Trader Joe's is NOT some high priced granola and tofu store! It's very reasonable in prices, if not downright cheap!

Old 02-24-2014, 05:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,003,949 times
Quote:
No, he was trying to illegally sell two houses on one lot. If he was trying to sell two houses he would have legally tried to separate the lot onto two.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:24 PM

14,295 posts, read 9,632,827 times
Quote:
As far as I am aware, in Portland the schools are not exactly starving for cash. What you suggested might make sense if the new property tax revenue were dedicated to affordable housing, but it never works that way.
So when does the left say 'no" to new tax revenue? The reason politicians love raising taxes is not because it goes to a specific purpose, it goes into the general fund so they can have more money, increase their power and influence, buy votes and favors, and play the crony capitalist to reward their friends.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:27 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,011,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Trader Joe's is cheaper than Safeway on many, many items. I think TJs gets a reputation for being similar to a Whole Foods, and it isn't. It's MUCH cheaper. That's why it has a cult following.

And the whole thing about it being in a primarily black neighborhood is ridiculous. Since when to black people not want cheap produce and all sorts of other cheap, healthy food? Maybe there is some sort of cultural misunderstanding here, because Trader Joe's is NOT some high priced granola and tofu store! It's very reasonable in prices, if not downright cheap!
Sorry, but I've been in there a million times.

It ain't cheap.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,104,380 times
Quote:

It ain't cheap.
Then where do you get your food lol! Compared to Whole Foods or even regular grocery stores, TJs is the same to cheaper in prices, overall.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:25 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,441,820 times
Quote:

It ain't cheap.
It's cheaper then the normal grocery stores in Portland(Safeways, Fred Meyer's), maybe not as cheap as Costco, way cheaper than the Whole Foods type places...

Old 02-25-2014, 05:31 PM

52,219 posts, read 33,956,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It's cheaper then the normal grocery stores in Portland(Safeways, Fred Meyer's), maybe not as cheap as Costco, way cheaper than the Whole Foods type places...
It's generally comparable to or often cheaper than safeway, giant, or other grocery stores in my area, and, as you said vastly cheaper than Whole Paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies