Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh for heavens sake, what has she done that has been of much value? Right now, she isn't doing anything that I can think of except blabbing about nothing.. not to mention she, like a few others have trouble telling the whole truth. You and I will just have to disagree about her. Why would our comments prove she is doing something right? I guess all the slams about Boehner, Christie, Bush, etc proves they are doing something right? We could debate this forever...
My point is that the rants about Pelosi are just a lot of hot air, noise, schoolyard taunts and other nonsense that plays to emotion, and not logical arguments. When I see that, I am pretty amused, because it says more about the posters than Ms. Pelosi.

C'mon now. Compare her accomplishments as a House Speaker with that of her successor, John Boehner. No comparison at all. It's being able to count votes and deliver. Maybe she isn't Tip O'Neill or Sam Rayburn, but very few folks are.

She's been able to keep a pretty disciplined Democratic caucus even in the minority, while poor ol' Boehner can't even get his majority to work together.

Now granted one can't do as much as a minority party given the way the House works, but there has been a lot of times when Boehner could actually get something bipartisan passed if he ignored his Tea Party faction, grab a few Republicans, and get Pelosi to deliver the Democratic caucus vote. But of course, he doesn't, because 1) it violates the Hastert Rule 2) it exposes the fact that Boehner really has very little sway on the House Repulicans and 3) it begs the question that in a way, Pelosi's controls more votes in the House than Boehner - why isn't she leading the House?

Last edited by silverkris; 02-08-2014 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 08:52 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Does that old hag even realize what reality is ? LOL . She needs to be shove into a retirement home with all the kooks !

Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
[

Actually, as a voter, yes it is our call. Are you saying that the voters have no right to force her (not vote for her) into retirement?

That says a lot about someones political belief system, doesn't it?
Do you live in the 12th Congressional District of California (Pelosi's district)? Please proceed [to paraphrase Obama's comment to Romney] and vote her out if you are her constituent. I don't think you will have many people joining you though.

Last edited by silverkris; 02-08-2014 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-08-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
If she is "doing something right", would you are to name what that might be? Aside from trying to bully her party members into doing something that the majority know is wrong.
My point is that a lot of the rants about Ms. Pelosi are just downright deranged, ad hominem attacks, snarkiness about her appearance, age, gender, etc. That's usually a strong suggestion that those who do that don't really have a cohesive argument and simply just don't like her. Sadly, your comments fall into that category.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:14 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Think about what you are saying. Now think about this do you really think Pelosi or anyone that big in party leadership does it for the money? They could probably increase their income by a factor of ten by becoming a lobbyist, or giant firm law partner, with speaking fees.

Think what you may about career politicians in leadership but its not about personal finance.
You must be very young.

Quote:
Compare that to Newt also a former speaker, who although things went south leaving him with a mere $7 million, was able to cobble together a $100 million dollar agglomoration. Hell Newt made almost twice what Pelosi has between 2001-2010.

Newt's $100 Million Gingrich Industrial Complex - Forbes

Again, you are crazy if you think staying in politics is the most profitable route.
This thread is about Pelousy.

Quote:
I didn't say they were not into being rich. I simply said they are not into maximizing their personal wealth potential, at least not if they are staying in for the long haul.

Basically, if you are a leader in congress you can make a whole lot more money as an ex-representative or senator then as a sitting one.

Just look at someone like Jim DeMint. He makes a whole hell of a lot more then he ever could have as a senator.

You know you really should think more deeply about things it might help you make better arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The fact that you and other folks who are apopletic about Ms. Pelosi, including those making snide remarks about her appearance, means that she must be doing something right. Bully for her!

In any case, it's not your call to make about if and when she retires. She's done more than that do-nothing guy from Ohio, Boehner.
Apoplectic? How about nauseous? She's just downright sickening. The epitomy of a human joke.

Quote:
Is it about power yes almost certainly. Money, no way if you are in for the long term like a senate or house leader. Simply because your earning power takes a big hit if you have had that position and are staying in office and not being a lobbyist or political law partner.

If you think money is why someone takes that salary plus some insider trading tips, over the million + they could easily earn per year like Gingrich, De Mint, Clinton and other ex high ranking officials you need get your priorities straight and should probably never form a small business.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

Apoplectic? How about nauseous? She's just downright sickening. The epitomy of a human joke.

Thank you, you've just proven my point about the inverse correlation of ad hominems and logical arguments.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:22 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You must be very young.

Thanks for proving all of my points.

I really don't understand why you have an issue understanding that ex politicians make more then politicians. All of the money is in using your former connections to lobby for special interest. Its not that hard to understand. As such if a person only cared about money they would serve as few terms in congress as they needed to build connections. Again see Jim Demint.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:56 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
My point is that a lot of the rants about Ms. Pelosi are just downright deranged, ad hominem attacks, snarkiness about her appearance, age, gender, etc. That's usually a strong suggestion that those who do that don't really have a cohesive argument and simply just don't like her. Sadly, your comments fall into that category.
Sadly, you are living up to expectations.

You are asked for an example of why you think she is so wonderful and you respond with this.

As I consider you to be an uber-partisan supporter of her and her martinet behavior nothing else could be expected. At some point I truly hope you evolve to take a non-partisan look at her and her actions to see just how harmful she truly is.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:01 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Do you live in the 12th Congressional District of California (Pelosi's district)? Please proceed [to paraphrase Obama's comment to Romney] and vote her out if you are her constituent. I don't think you will have many people joining you though.
Some years ago, yes I did live in her district. I voted against her every time possible but she had fooled enough of her sheep to vote for her. So, seeing that the policies she supported would ruin the state, at the very least, I left the state. Perhaps you should try living out from under your nanny's influence to see the real world. Although in your case, pulling Obama quotes to paraphrase as if they came from on high, I doubt it would help.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Sadly, you are living up to expectations.

You are asked for an example of why you think she is so wonderful and you respond with this.

As I consider you to be an uber-partisan supporter of her and her martinet behavior nothing else could be expected. At some point I truly hope you evolve to take a non-partisan look at her and her actions to see just how harmful she truly is.
Because you haven't responded with any specific examples about why she's harmful except some snarky remarks and vitriol, I have to conclude you don't really have an argument. Thanks for playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies