Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:08 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times

Advertisements

Anti-Abortion Groups Boycott Girl Scout Cookies - ABC News

If people have an issue with a politician, they need to take it up with that individual or aim their opinions towards ADULTS. If you don't like GS cookies, don't buy them. But boycotting young girls because you think Girl Scouts support abortion or politicians who support pro-choice is asinine, IMO. Most of these girls are too young to even know what these issues are!

We had a 5 year old in our troop last week who was told something along the lines of "I don't believe in what you're doing and who Girl Scouts support - it's disgusting" and had the door slammed in her face. THIS was from someone who attends the same church as her family. Nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 06:10 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
I think sometimes this kind of nonsense goes too far. It's girl scouts cookies for Crissakes.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:14 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Exactly. They're cookies, and these are young girls (usually under 10) selling them. There is no excuse to be rude to them or to attack them verbally for ANYTHING.

Don't want the cookies? Then politely say "no thank you".

Old 02-05-2014, 06:15 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
I don't know why the children are still involved in selling door to door...well I do, the GSA would like to keep the girls involved in their fundraising, but with all the nuts out there, it may be the deathknell of GSA cookies door to door sales.

sad.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:18 AM

Another prime example of the anti-abortion wack job caring about the fetus but disconnet from the child.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I don't know why the children are still involved in selling door to door...well I do, the GSA would like to keep the girls involved in their fundraising, but with all the nuts out there, it may be the deathknell of GSA cookies door to door sales.

sad.
In 4.5 years of living here, the Girl Scouts rang my doorbell only once...and that was a few weeks ago. Around here, they usually set up tables at supermarkets/Lowe's/Home Depot and flog cookies in the evenings and on weekends. They even have websites and apps that tell you where and when they'll be selling on any given day during cookie season. They sell a lot more cookies that way than by going door to door. If they stop going door to door, that'll be why.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
In 4.5 years of living here, the Girl Scouts rang my doorbell only once...and that was a few weeks ago. Around here, they usually set up tables at supermarkets/Lowe's/Home Depot and flog cookies in the evenings and on weekends. They even have websites and apps that tell you where and when they'll be selling on any given day during cookie season. They sell a lot more cookies that way than by going door to door. If they stop going door to door, that'll be why.
Not to mention also much safer...as you didn't.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Not to mention also much safer...as you didn't.
They go door to door in my neighborhood with a parent, and my neighborhood has zero violent crime. We've barely had any property crime in the last six months. So...this isn't exactly the ghetto.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
They go door to door in my neighborhood with a parent, and my neighborhood has zero violent crime. We've barely had any property crime in the last six months. So...this isn't exactly the ghetto.
You think only bad things happen in the ghetto?

http://www.mylocalcrime.com/ Take a look.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:11 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,842,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Anti-Abortion Groups Boycott Girl Scout Cookies - ABC News

If people have an issue with a politician, they need to take it up with that individual or aim their opinions towards ADULTS. If you don't like GS cookies, don't buy them. But boycotting young girls because you think Girl Scouts support abortion or politicians who support pro-choice is asinine, IMO. Most of these girls are too young to even know what these issues are!

We had a 5 year old in our troop last week who was told something along the lines of "I don't believe in what you're doing and who Girl Scouts support - it's disgusting" and had the door slammed in her face. THIS was from someone who attends the same church as her family. Nice.
It wasn't so much that the church person didn't agree with the agenda of the Girl Scouts. It was HOW she handled it, which was not Christlike at all. You can disagree without becoming caustic about it.

More to the point of the whole issue - I wouldn't allow my "child" to become involved in an organization, including a church organization, if I didn't agree with their basic tenets.

Obviously, for many parents and some children who are informed, this could be problematic as there is evidence that the organization does promote abortion.

Quote:
At only fourteen, I learned of WAGGGS’ advocacy for abortion. I was angry that I had been deceived by an organization I had mistakenly come to trust.
Girl Scouts Join Planned Parenthood at Huge Pro-Abortion Conference | LifeNews.com
Personally, I don't purchase boxed or store bought cookies because of the preservatives, and so a box of Girl Scouts cookies would never be on my list of something to purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies