Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 03:13 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Uhh ... don't we already have a day for celebrating America? Like, with fireworks and cookouts and beer and stuff? I think it's in the summer or something ...
Some people are too ignorant to realize this, they think that the 4th of July is a celebration of fireworks.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:29 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The demographics of an area usually dictate what's celebrated.
It is what it is.
At Fort Collins High School the demographics are overwhelmingly white.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:08 PM

41 posts, read 28,778 times
A deeper look into the story :

“They said they didn’t want to be exclusive to any other country,” a 17-year-old member of the student council told me.

“They said they didn’t want to offend anyone from other countries or immigrants,” a 16-year-old member of the student council told me. “They just really did not want to make anyone feel uncomfortable.”

After the administrators rejected the day to celebrate America, the teenagers offered a compromise – “My Country Monday.” “We opened it up to everyone – no matter what country you are from,” the 17-year-old student told me. That got declined, too.

So that is what the issue was about. The fact that some kids wanted to celebrate America (I know liberals get bent out of shape over patriotism outside of the federal designated times "we already have the 4th of July, what more do you right wing nuts want?") but the fact that they were told they didn't want to offend people from other countries is what got people upset. ....( Liberals, wanting to be so tolerant they become intolerant. To be so multicultural, they end up hating their own culture but that is for a different thread)

Then they tried to back paddle and say that "Merica" was a derogatory term and wouldn't allow it but then they would go for it"America Day" instead. Which is bull seeing as the kids compromised first with "My Country Day" that was meant to be inclusive for all but that too was rejected. They only gave that excuse after about "Merica" being a derogatory term and offering "America day" after the outrage. The only ones to buy the school administrators lame attempt of saving face was left-wing lemmings.

But as far as the story goes, I can see that. I can see how quick the school was to shot down a day celebrating America. I mean look at this very thread. Look how liberals are reacting to how these kids wanted a day to celebrate America. As if anything outside of the federal mandated ones, even if they are a one and only time thing is reprehensible or something. Any other person would have thought "that's cute, those kids want to celebrate America" and that's it. Only liberals would throw a tantrum at kids wanting to celebrate America for one time and whine "gosh, we have the 4th, what more do you people want??".......No wonder they were able to sallow that crap from the school officials.

Last edited by AlexSliver; 02-07-2014 at 06:18 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 03:26 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSliver View Post
A deeper look into the story :

“They said they didn’t want to be exclusive to any other country,” a 17-year-old member of the student council told me.

“They said they didn’t want to offend anyone from other countries or immigrants,” a 16-year-old member of the student council told me. “They just really did not want to make anyone feel uncomfortable.”

After the administrators rejected the day to celebrate America, the teenagers offered a compromise – “My Country Monday.” “We opened it up to everyone – no matter what country you are from,” the 17-year-old student told me. That got declined, too.

So that is what the issue was about. The fact that some kids wanted to celebrate America (I know liberals get bent out of shape over patriotism outside of the federal designated times "we already have the 4th of July, what more do you right wing nuts want?") but the fact that they were told they didn't want to offend people from other countries is what got people upset. ....( Liberals, wanting to be so tolerant they become intolerant. To be so multicultural, they end up hating their own culture but that is for a different thread)

Then they tried to back paddle and say that "Merica" was a derogatory term and wouldn't allow it but then they would go for it"America Day" instead. Which is bull seeing as the kids compromised first with "My Country Day" that was meant to be inclusive for all but that too was rejected. They only gave that excuse after about "Merica" being a derogatory term and offering "America day" after the outrage. The only ones to buy the school administrators lame attempt of saving face was left-wing lemmings.

But as far as the story goes, I can see that. I can see how quick the school was to shot down a day celebrating America. I mean look at this very thread. Look how liberals are reacting to how these kids wanted a day to celebrate America. As if anything outside of the federal mandated ones, even if they are a one and only time thing is reprehensible or something. Any other person would have thought "that's cute, those kids want to celebrate America" and that's it. Only liberals would throw a tantrum at kids wanting to celebrate America for one time and whine "gosh, we have the 4th, what more do you people want??".......No wonder they were able to sallow that crap from the school officials.
Just because students propose a Holiday...doesnt mean the admisntration has to accept no mater the reasoning for the holiday.

It doesnt matter if it was Merica day, America day, or Ameirca the beautiful day...Students dont rule the roost.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:27 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That really says it all. Someone should point out to the school administrators that Cinco de Mayo is an entirely manufactured "holiday" by the beer companies to sell more beer.
Exactly. It's only the state of Puebla that cares about CdM. And it was the timing - being between St. Patrick's and 4th of July that appealed to the macrobrewers. If they wanted a bigger, more important national holiday, they would've picked Dia de Los Muertos, which is celebrated all over Mexico. But the timing of that holiday wasn't in the macrobrewers' best interest.

The macros still need something in August. Could be we'll be celebrating Colombia Independence Day soon. Raise a glass of coffee porter!

Old 02-08-2014, 04:47 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That really says it all. Someone should point out to the school administrators that Cinco de Mayo is an entirely manufactured "holiday" by the beer companies to sell more beer.
Congressional Record - 109th Congress (2005-2006) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

RECOGNIZING HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE OF THE MEXICAN HOLIDAY OF CINCO DE MAYO -- (House of Representatives - June 07, 2005)

Quote:
H. Con. Res 44
Whereas May 5, or Cinco de Mayo in Spanish, is celebrated each year as a date of great importance by the Mexican and Mexican-American communities;
Whereas the Cinco de Mayo holiday commemorates May 5, 1862, the date on which the Battle of Puebla was fought by Mexicans who were struggling for their independence and freedom; Whereas Cinco de Mayo has become one of Mexico's most famous national holidays and is celebrated annually by nearly all Mexicans and Mexican-Americans, north and south of the United States-Mexico border; ...
Quote:
Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring), That Congress recognizes the historical struggle for independence and freedom of the Mexican people and requests the President to issue a proclamation recognizing that struggle and calling upon the people of the United States to observe Cinco de Mayo with appropriate ceremonies and activities.
Just because you are unaware of what happens in the Mexican-American community...does not mean it is not happening.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:55 AM

41 posts, read 28,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Just because students propose a Holiday...doesnt mean the admisntration has to accept no mater the reasoning for the holiday.

It doesnt matter if it was Merica day, America day, or Ameirca the beautiful day...Students dont rule the roost.
Really?.....No, really????

First, it was something giving to the students called Spirit Week. The students only wanted one day out of that week for America. Don't know why you think this means the students want to rule anything.

Second, the school administration are not beyond approach by the students. Students can organize protests and such. Ironic, the left went from anti-establishment and down with the man to shut up and accept whatever a governing administration says, whether it be the state or a school in this case. Know your place peons.

It's not so much as the reasoning for the holiday (celebrate America) but the reasoning for the rejection (don't want to offend foreigners) of the holiday is what got people upset. I know the left thinks celebration of America isn't reason enough to do anything, but that's neither here nor there.

Last edited by AlexSliver; 02-08-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 02-08-2014, 09:08 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
We already have a day that celebrates "America", if someone is too stupid or ignorant to realize that, well that's there problem

Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSliver View Post
Really?.....No, really????

First, it was something giving to the students called Spirit Week. The students only wanted one day out of that week for America. Don't know why you think this means the students want to rule anything.

Second, the school administration are not beyond approach by the students. Students can organize protests and such. Ironic, the left went from anti-establishment and down with the man to shut up and accept whatever a governing administration says, whether it be the state or a school in this case. Know your place peons.

It's not so much as the reasoning for the holiday (celebrate America) but the reasoning for the rejection (don't want to offend foreigners) of the holiday is what got people upset. I know the left thinks celebration of America isn't reason enough to do anything, but that's neither here nor there.
They did celebrate America. The event was just renamed from 'Mercia Day to America Day. That "the left" rejected a celebration of America is just plain wrong and a willful misinterpretation of events.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:53 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Seems okay to have a cinco De Mayo but its not okay to celebrate America.
Oh, please.

Cinco de Mayo is at least a real holiday with a real tradition. "Merica Day" is a phony, made-up holiday and a Trojan Horse for white supremacy. Celebrate America on the 4th of July, and be done with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies