Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:12 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times

Advertisements

Rural counties vote Republican because they philosophically believe Republican ideals are better than Democrat ideals. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 12:18 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Reactionary View Post
My point was not to be controversial or in any way racial. It was to simply point out that in many southerm"red states",much of the extreme poverty resides in places with large minority populations. Poor people receive large amounts of government assistance. The Mississippi Delta is largely African-American,and probably the poorest section of the country. It's inevitable that those areas will receive a lot of government assistance.
Would also include that many "red"states out west have huge amounts of government owned land. Sure that funding probably goes to those areas,while I doubt the locals get a lot of benefit.
What about all the poor whites in Appalachia?

Old 02-07-2014, 03:35 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Detroit is the result of these wonderful "Trade Deals" that our
bought off politicans arrange for the American workers.
How is it working for us?
Have any of you even seen the pictures and movies of what downtown
Detroit looks like now?
Well, if you haven't seen the city lately, you better look it up online.
Because if you live in a city, your next.
You are all missing the big picture here.
That is exactly what the billionaires in this country want.
They want Americans to be divided and bicker among themselves
about he small little piece of the pie that you have.
Bicker, bicker people, think its about Republican vs. Democrat.
Wrong!
It's about trying to rip this Democracy apart.
They have to.
They can't have the american people voting and messing things up
for them. THe are the top 1% of this country, after all, they like the way
they own all the weath and pay little taxes, it works for them.
So, they create these non profit companies, and pour money into elections
lying about the pundit they don't want, the person running who isnt' bought off.
You can't have a Democracy in a Capitalist society.
The Corporations know this, and it actually scared them when a black man
became President. They realized they must do anything they can to cut down on
the vote. The vote in this country scares the hell out of them.
Don't ever believe any politican when they say they are concerned about the
deficit.
They are lying.
They all spend our money.
The question is, do you want them to spend our money on us?
OR do you want them to spend it on rich Corporations?
If you want the Politicans to spend a little more on the American people,
vote Democrat. (They are perfect either, but the country itself will get more).
If you want the Corporations to get more tax breaks, subsidies, vote Republican.
It's as simple as that.
While we still have the vote......for now.....
Ever notice that the bigger government seems to get, the less it does anything well? Citizens of Detroit could tell you all about that. The school system is horrible, which explains why a staggering 47% of the population is illiterate. In addition, 40% of the street lights don't work, only about 1/3 of the ambulances are running, and 2/3 of the parks have been closed since 2008. Just to give you an idea of its priorities, an independent report in 2012 suggested the city fire 80% of the Water and Sewage Department including a horseshoer" that it has on staff even though it has NO HORSES.. How did the union respond to that report? "They don’t have enough people as it is right now. They are just dreaming to think they can operate that plant with less." Detroit may not have enough police, ambulances, or competent teachers, but if you ever need a horseshoe in the Motor City, they've got you covered.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:12 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
I've heard that question many times from liberal friends, and nobody has ever had a good answer. Like other issues, it is very complicated with no pat answers. However, the following articles is one of the best and most comprehensive explanations I've come across.

Working class voters: why America's poor are willing to vote Republican | World news | theguardian.com

Old 02-07-2014, 05:05 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS14 View Post
I'm not curious nor do I care. Like I said you're some anon guy from the internet. You could be White, Asian or Black. You could be a trolling liberal or a member of the KKK. It doesn't matter to me because you're anonymous.

The problem I have is that many Republicans who aren't anonymous speak like you. Not only white republicans either. The Obese black guy on Fox speaks the same way. The point I was making is that rhetoric like always attaching race to negative statistics only when it has to do with minorities or women is driving many, would be Republicans away. The party seems hostile to minorities.
I'm an American citizen both by choice and by birth. I want a party that can preserve my rights and control spending so my taxes are lower. So far, no party is willing to take a stand. Growing up with immigrants, I'm not sure why I should get special treatment from a party as we are all still Americans.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:01 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
So I guess what I bolded below is negative rhetoric too yes?

Granted I don't know how true this is but you get the point.
Republicans aren't so much racist as they are elitist. And not elitist in the sense of a snooty city liberal but elitist in the sense of really championing their middle class values like they're gospel truth. So any Hollywood liberal or poor urban minority or rural single white mother on assistance is singled out as destroying America.

A lot of the hard right wing base tend to be fairly educated managerial, small business or professional upper middle class types that just hate seeing poor people on assistance regardless of color or workers getting agitated and demanding a bigger share of the pie. In other words they just can't stand the lower class as a whole, they don't mind the ones that break out of poverty and climb the ladder into the middle but overall they have this disgust for working class folk.

It just so happens that race follows class in America so the majority of low income people are minorities and they get the brunt of the attacks. That's why they appear as racists in my opinion. They're not dye in the wool racists. They'll ask why can't black people be more like the Huxtables but that's because they like their upper middle class values.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Republicans aren't so much racist as they are elitist. And not elitist in the sense of a snooty city liberal but elitist in the sense of really championing their middle class values like they're gospel truth. So any Hollywood liberal or poor urban minority or rural single white mother on assistance is singled out as destroying America.

A lot of the hard right wing base tend to be fairly educated managerial, small business or professional upper middle class types that just hate seeing poor people on assistance regardless of color or workers getting agitated and demanding a bigger share of the pie. In other words they just can't stand the lower class as a whole, they don't mind the ones that break out of poverty and climb the ladder into the middle but overall they have this disgust for working class folk.

It just so happens that race follows class in America so the majority of low income people are minorities and they get the brunt of the attacks. That's why they appear as racists in my opinion. They're not dye in the wool racists. They'll ask why can't black people be more like the Huxtables but that's because they like their upper middle class values.
I'd rather take championing the middle class values over snooty urban liberalism. I grew up in one of the richest counties in the country and all the decent friendly good people have left the county and state because they knew they didn't fit into the yuppie stereotype. These snooty people yuppify neighborhoods, and many of them tend to be liberal. Not what I would consider to be as normal people.

Normally Republicans/conservatives in my old state would not make much change to an area but that is expected. Liberal dems tend to want change in the state it is normally not for the better. Most of them aren't even from the state.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
I'd rather take championing the middle class values over snooty urban liberalism. I grew up in one of the richest counties in the country and all the decent friendly good people have left the county and state because they knew they didn't fit into the yuppie stereotype. These snooty people yuppify neighborhoods, and many of them tend to be liberal. Not what I would consider to be as normal people.

Normally Republicans/conservatives in my old state would not make much change to an area but that is expected. Liberal dems tend to want change in the state it is normally not for the better. Most of them aren't even from the state.
I dislike snooty liberals as much as the staunch conservative but I would take a progressive city anyway over a conservative suburb.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I dislike snooty liberals as much as the staunch conservative but I would take a progressive city anyway over a conservative suburb.
Good luck with that. Much of DC's "progressiveness" has spread out to the suburbs producing negative results. At least the conservative suburb will probably be able to tolerate my hobby in cars, guns among many things that the city will probably limit me from doing.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:23 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Rural areas lack diversity, blended culture, and innovative thinking and ideals.

Large urban metro areas have a blend of people, races, cultures, ideas, values, and more. This melting pot of different ideas is called progression. Cities by nature usually tend to be progressive, people who live in urban areas tend to be progressive and lean democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies