Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 05:22 AM

608 posts, read 481,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
Weird, because I remember signing a Selective Service paper when I was 18.
Got a point there.I was wondering what you meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 05:45 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,021 times
Default No friggin way..

Quote:
The Christian Right is dead. I'm 24 and I don't know any people my age who would consider themselves part of the Christian Right, despite the fact that I grew up in the most conservative environment ever (gated community, private Christian school, Presbyterian church) and still keep in touch with people from my childhood. Libertarianism is in, Christian Conservatism is out. I hate to disappoint my parents' generation, but the truth is that my generation will probably end the War on Drugs, legalize gambling, raise our kids on secular principles, lower the drinking age, end the military draft, etc.
In the LE circles where I worked, before retirement, we had a cool inside laugh, we called the young officers " The young Republicans"

Your statement is big and bold that quiet frankly is a stretch at best. I know a bunch of young men/woman who are all educated with their BA's and BS degrees out in work field doing some very impressive work out in their communities, and some are Christians, all are Conservatives. These young men and woman are working for the Govt, military, LE and the corporate world, their smart, their tough, and they're on their way in life. So, I throw the Flag on this one.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:31 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
The Christian Right is dead. I'm 24 and I don't know any people my age who would consider themselves part of the Christian Right, despite the fact that I grew up in the most conservative environment ever (gated community, private Christian school, Presbyterian church) and still keep in touch with people from my childhood. Libertarianism is in, Christian Conservatism is out. I hate to disappoint my parents' generation, but the truth is that my generation will probably end the War on Drugs, legalize gambling, raise our kids on secular principles, lower the drinking age, end the military draft, etc.

OP I'd just like to point out that one can be a Libertarian and still have faith. I'm proof of it. I just don't feel that the government should be in the business of legislating morality, such as telling people what they can or can't do with their bodies, or what two consenting adults can or cannot do in their own bedroom. I prefer to worry about my own morality, and my own relationship with the Man upstairs.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:35 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
They said the same thing in the early-mid 70's and look what happened in the 80's.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:40 AM

924 posts, read 666,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They said the same thing in the early-mid 70's and look what happened in the 80's.
http://i.imgur.com/f3Nt2eN.gif

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-08-2014 at 04:10 PM..

Old 02-07-2014, 09:18 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:

[youtube]
=HYRm4-AYuiI[youtube]

Old 02-07-2014, 09:45 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Then you need to expand your horizons. I worked extensively with young people (ages 15 thru college age) while living in Tennessee only a couple of years ago. I couldn't organize trainings or meetings on Sunday mornings or Wednesday evenings because many of them attended church.

Fast forward over to when I lived in Wyoming. Plenty of young people who are hard working, church going, volunteering, respectful to their elders, young people who know better than to make smarmy grand pronouncements to the world.

I don't know where you live, but Christianity is not dead. This from a libertarian (primarily conservative voting) atheist.

Saying "I hate to disappoint my parents generation" is a useless and banal phrase. You don't hate it at all.

Eventually you (and other like minded young people) will realize that you don't know it all, you don't have all the answers and that people who have more years of experience in this world than you do, maybe (just maybe) are smarter than you think.

An old saying - if you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. And this country does not have a military draft.
Quote:

I lived in Wyoming. Plenty of young people who are hard working, church going, volunteering, respectful to their elders, young people who know better than to make smarmy grand pronouncements to the world.
Jut as these young people don't. There are plenty of good kids like you described that also partake in all the other vices in the world.

When I go to church, I don't fire up a bowl or crack a cold one. Most parents wouldn't recognize their child when with their friends... Having manners and knowing how to behave does not make one an angel. Letting lose doesnt make them a devil either.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
These are the wrong people to assess faith on. People don't make real decisions on faith until their parents influence is no longer present or till age 25 to 35ish. Even today at age 20 I'd have to ask off for Sundays because if I'm living in my parents house, I'm going to church. But if you want to see really how I feel about religion, stop by the religion and spirituality forum. My view definitely isn't right wing christian.

They did a poll once (2009ish I think) in oneness apostolic churches and 80% of children raised in these churches backslid, or left the faith.

Both my grandparents were devout Catholics. None of my cousins attend mass regularly.

The Christian right isn't dead, but it's slipping.
Ah yes, backslid as a term to describe enlightenment to reality.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:45 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
From your cited link:

Circumstances in whick Abortion should remain legal

Do you believe abortions should be legal in any circumstance- 25%

Do you believe abortions should be legal under certain circumstances- 52%

Do you bewleive abortion should be illegal in all circumstances- 20%

Clearly from the poll, one can self-identify as "pro-life" and still want to keep abortions safe and legal.

http://content.gallup.com/origin/gal...gf8y9ci0qa.gif

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-08-2014 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 02-07-2014, 03:46 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
The Christian Right is dead

I hate to disappoint you (actually I would love to disappoint you) but it is alive and well with the younger generation where I live. Sorry you live in such an athiestic left environment. But there again, you labelled Christians as "the Christian right".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies