Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 05:23 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I stopped looking at watermelons the same way when I found out the stereotypes behind them.
Why do you give stereotypes so much power? Why care what some people think? Believe me, not many white people think twice about black people eating watermelon or fried chicken. I speak from experience as a white person. Would it infuriate you to know that a mostly black town in Texas has a Watermelon Festival every year? They grow it there, and love it. No one cares because we love it too.

If you want to live a happy life, don't worry about what others think unless they actually love you and care about you. Strangers don't owe you respect, nor do you need it from strangers. If you want respect, do something respectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 05:43 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
I stopped looking at watermelons the same way when I found out the stereotypes behind them.
That is the dumbest stereotype I ever heard of.

Rich white people must only eat pheasant and muskmelon.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:55 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you know what's truly hilarious about all the outraged huffing and puffing we see on this thead?

the menu was planned by students members of the Black Student Union
Quote:
Then said students should have known better than to feature watermelon. I sure wouldn't do that. I don't want to attract ANY kind of ridicule, period. I feel like one way to invalidate a stereotype is to not play into it or put it on display.
Uh; it's like some Black people are "secure enough" at heart today to poke some fun in the "mirror". God knows that many hood rats; mostly "Black", but sometimes even anglo white, call each other the N word with an A all the time it seems.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:58 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
That is the dumbest stereotype I ever heard of.

Rich white people must only eat pheasant and muskmelon.

How PC of you.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
I recall one of the few pleasant conversations with Young Turk type black militant wannabes at work circa 1992. We were making up our ideal meals. We were all Southern and we were in agreement until I mentioned Aunt Jemima pancakes. I was just salivating over the idea of panckaes, real syrup, bacon, black coffee and the other fellows thought I was taunting them. AJ is all we had as kids regarding french toast or pancakes.

Hilarious. Of course I did not apologize. Nothing to apologize for. Another person's neurosis is not my problem.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:17 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
I feel like I'm the only one who understands what the outrage is about. I am going to put this supinely. As a Black person, I would never eat watermelon in public, ever. Too many stereotypes tied to it. I don't like being stereotyped. Bad enough that stereotypes are used. I don't want to feed into it. I can understand the stereotypes because it is looked at from the perspective of "there are already stereotypes out there about us. We don't need this feeding into it".
But it's not a bad stereotype. It's just food! :-)

Old 02-10-2014, 06:23 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlylocs View Post
I am Nigerian and I never understood the whole deal with American blacks being associated with fried chicken, cornbread, and watermelon. Fried chicken and watermelon are not exclusive to only black Americans as lots of people from various ethnic origins eat these same foods. Personally I eat neither of these. Chicken is not my favourite protein. I prefer turkey and beef and do not eat fried foods. I was raised eating Nigerian food ( pounded yam, egusi soup, okra soup, bitter leaf soup) just to name a few. I think Americans are very close minded and are always stereotyping people. For example, Americans refer to Africa as a country instead of a continent and always show the negative parts of various African countries giving their citizens a false idea of Africa as a whole. There are beautiful places in Nigeria but they choose to only focus on the negative so Americans can feel so much better that they live here. Lol, there are so many amazing places other than america, but only few Americans travel abroad.

Case in point stop stereotyping people and educate yourself.

Someone wrote that they wouldn't get offended if it was Italian month and they served spaghetti. Why would you? That's the staple food. So many people have gone to Italian restaurants and know the cuisine. There are hardly any blk American restaurants I've seen, most are Caribbean, and fried chicken and watermelon are not on the menu.

I see why people judge Americans.
You tell Americans to stop stereotyping people right after you stereotype them as being close minded. Brilliant.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:28 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Ouch! The irony.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:28 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
When I lived in Sweden there was a commercial for peanuts, American peanuts. The punch line in the end was " the biggest nuts comes from America":-)

Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times

GEICO Commercial - Do black people like fried chicken? - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies