Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:37 AM

45,001 posts, read 26,154,274 times

Advertisements

So funny to read the hypocritical words of indignation.Clocking in at just under 74,000 pages the tax code is pretty much what any random bureaucrat at the IRS deems it to be, which means everyone has been or is now a potential tax scofflaw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 10:14 AM

58,512 posts, read 26,824,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Like Mitt Romney?
Proof?

Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
No.

No one ever claimed that Mitt cheated on his taxes. He did employ very good accountants, who know the rules like the backs of their hands, who planned his financial matters to minimize his taxes.

That is both perfectly legal, and completely proper.
"No one ever claimed that Mitt cheated on his taxes."
Really?
“The word's out that he [Romney] hasn't paid any taxes for 10 years.”
— Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), on the floor of the U.S. Senate, Aug. 2, 2012

Old 02-08-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I never said he did anything illegal.
Tacky and unpatriotic, yes, but not illegal.
So, now using existing laws is unpatriotic?

Old 02-08-2014, 10:25 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,750,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The screwing your peers by cheating on your taxes doesn't accomplish anything other than making you a cheat and screwing your peers. If you want to change taxes, then do that. Don't be a criminal.
Sorry but my peers arent being screwed over because im keeping more of MY money. No on is being screwed because im not giving 70% of my income away other than myself.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sigh. If you have to ask these things you are failing as a human being and a member of a society.

1. doing whats legal isnt always ethical. Just because you can doesnt mean you should.
2. We dont know if Romney did or not, theres a lot of circumstantial evidence that he did not in the past.
3. We should eliminate loopholes that are used to avoid taxes. Its not fair or right to exploit a loophole in ways that are just to reduce your taxes-because those taxes have to be made up by others.
4. and his fair share was what? 14%? Really? you're mixing what the law is vs's whats fair. He abused the specifics of the law in ways to unfairly benefit. Dont confuse fair and law. While the laws on taxes are designed to be fair, there are ways to abuse them. Look at his 401K for example.
Don't blame Romney (or any of the dems who you KNOW does the exact same thing) blame the politicians who passed the tax laws.

And remember as we have been told on here the dems controlled the Congress much more then the repubs.

I have always wonder why the dems on here NEVER complain about the Kennedy's, John Kerry and the rest of the rich dems in office and their taxes

In fact the dems controlled the House of over 40 STRAIGHT years. Maybe you should check out there first.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:29 AM

13,279 posts, read 7,809,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Well, under those circumstances it's not tax evasion.
Well, unless you were one of those who helped write the tax laws.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:32 AM

13,279 posts, read 7,809,417 times
Quote:
"Legality", generally speaking, is a fraud on the Constitution.

The Federal Reserve is "legal".

Old 02-08-2014, 11:09 AM

23,322 posts, read 17,008,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2f42 View Post
While using the tax laws, within the law I have no problem with. It's the people who intentionally look for ways to illegally avoid paying taxs that irritates me. I know a few people who have for 30 plus years ....basically cheated on taxs, admit it, and say to bad for the suckers who don't cheat and They really believe if you don't get caught it's OK. They have been able to get away with it so long, they now live a very nice life style while others in their equivalent income levels who were honest with their taxs and paid them - (for example) - remain worried about the bills next month. How is that different than say..welfare fraud ? OR ???
Like John Kerry and Tim Geithner and Charlie Rangel, former head of ways and means and tax code watchdog, william jefferson with 90K in his freezer?

Then there was Whitewater and Bill and Hillary and missing documents that somehow appeared 'later'.

In our land of lawyers, legislation is written in a foreign script and very interpretive. There is a disconnect from common logic and the wording is open to interpretation. You might have appeared to have broken a law but after years of litigation, appeals and reversals viola! you didn't break the law after all!

Then there is the couple trillion dollar underground economy....tax free. Then there are the trades working under the table, etc.

Now we have the IRS 'weaponized' andsson to take charge of our healthcare.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:38 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,011,707 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
So you need to overpay your taxes to be a good citizen, comrade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sigh.
No but maybe...just MAYBE you shouldn't put so much effort into not paying your share, and exploiting every loophole you can find. And maybe....just MAYBE if you do those things, you should also publicly say "yes I paid the least I could, but im going to do my best to make the extremes I took it to illegal"
So basically that terrible Romney legally "donated" less of his money to a largely wasteful and inefficient federal government, so that it could instead be sent and used for chosen charitable causes.

Now let's see... was my money better used overpaying on developing a crappy website -- or on non-profits that feed and clothe the poor, and making purchases to help the economy?

The horror!

How much more rhetoric from the 2012 Obama re-election campaign can we parrot today?

Last edited by sxrckr; 02-08-2014 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies