Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:13 PM

397 posts, read 264,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You really need to read some more of my postings before "guessing" where I stand politically..

is that a yes or no, I dont know enough about you to know where you stand politically other then you are a Republican
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 08:14 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
One possible explanation...

"Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments"

Justin Kruger and David Dunning
Department of Psychology, Cornell University

Journal of Personality and Social Psychology
December 1999

People tend to hold overly favorable views of their abilities in many social and intellectual domains. The authors suggest that this overestimation occurs, in part, because people who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it...

Geez, I thought we were talking about Frosty. . .

Old 11-30-2007, 08:22 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
One possible explanation of Republican self-assessments...

"Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments"

Justin Kruger and David Dunning
Department of Psychology, Cornell University

Journal of Personality and Social Psychology
December 1999

People tend to hold overly favorable views of their abilities in many social and intellectual domains. The authors suggest that this overestimation occurs, in part, because people who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it...
So Republicans overly hold favorable views of their abilities but Democrats dont? Not sure if your posting explains the difference.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:36 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,732 times
Ignorance is bliss, ain't it...

Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
is that a yes or no, I dont know enough about you to know where you stand politically other then you are a Republican
I'm more of a..

How many dam more regulations, and how much more can we be taxed, by the government, before we start to choke the will and drive out of the reasons which made this country great.

What gives the federal government the right to dictate what I can do in my own bedroom, or someone elses bedroom for that matter?

What makes the government feel that they have the right to take my money, and give it to anyone, individual or business, for the purpose of helping them succeed, over and above my ability to succeed, especially considering the fact that it was my money to begin with.

I believe that the general public, know more about whats needed on a local basis, then the government, and better equipped to handle problems locally or within ones family and/or support group.

I believe that businesses, understand where the needs of the public is, and will fill that need by investing capital and expanding a job base.. (Look at Google going into the utility business for example)

I believe that the government, usually does more harm then good, with every bill and regulation they create. Look at the Middle East, the war, oil, mexican relations etc.

I believe that the federal government was created, (and so does the founding fathers) to protect this country, and allow each individual state the rights to create their own laws.

etc..

Old 11-30-2007, 08:43 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
I could see more crazy/neurotic people being Democrats in the belief that Republicans would work to keep their meds/shrink visits super expensive, or something like that.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:12 PM

711 posts, read 933,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm more of a..

How many dam more regulations, and how much more can we be taxed, by the government, before we start to choke the will and drive out of the reasons which made this country great.

What gives the federal government the right to dictate what I can do in my own bedroom, or someone elses bedroom for that matter?

What makes the government feel that they have the right to take my money, and give it to anyone, individual or business, for the purpose of helping them succeed, over and above my ability to succeed, especially considering the fact that it was my money to begin with.

I believe that the general public, know more about whats needed on a local basis, then the government, and better equipped to handle problems locally or within ones family and/or support group.

I believe that businesses, understand where the needs of the public is, and will fill that need by investing capital and expanding a job base.. (Look at Google going into the utility business for example)

I believe that the government, usually does more harm then good, with every bill and regulation they create. Look at the Middle East, the war, oil, mexican relations etc.

I believe that the federal government was created, (and so does the founding fathers) to protect this country, and allow each individual state the rights to create their own laws.

etc..
Hmm--I see what saganista means!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:51 PM

323 posts, read 742,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I'm a conservative (and a Christian) and the only imaginary people I believe in are Santa, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, the Abominal Snowman, the Grinch, and the Easter Bunny.

Oh, I thought of a few more. . . The Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, and The Scarecrow.

P.S. I do realize a few of these do not technically qualify as people!
How COULD you forget Jack frost and Peter Pan?

I'll tell them your sorry next time I see them.

I'm thinking Saturday I'll go target practicing with my bottle of Jack and pop a Prozac. I'll let them know then.

Oh, and I'm a "repuke" woman.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker Fallen Angel View Post
How COULD you forget Jack frost and Peter Pan?

I'll tell them your sorry next time I see them.

I'm thinking Saturday I'll go target practicing with my bottle of Jack and pop a Prozac. I'll let them know then.

Oh, and I'm a "repuke" woman.
I'd say Robin Hood, but he's thrown his support behind the Clintons..

Old 11-30-2007, 10:27 PM

478 posts, read 959,713 times
The true answer to who is mentally healthier.... in regards to Democrats or Republicans is fairly simple:

If you have to ask this question, and need to subscribe to a set of beliefs or a "team" to "root" for.... in order to justify your place in the world - a world that is increasingly more complex and muddled in shades of gray - then you automatically take yourself out of the running for winning any prize for being the most..."Mentally Healthy, or Most Intelligent". You are completely missing the big picture of what is.... modern day America.

In simplistic terms, look at it all as if you were 7 years old again, in second grade - run by an elementary school with corrupt teachers who call themselves "Mr. Republican and Ms. Democrat". And neither care about you. Matter of fact, they would be perfectly happy if you fail the second grade for the third time. Hell, they'd send you back to Kindergarten if they could. As long as they keep you as dumbed down as possible. The only thing that matters to them is the fat paychecks... and the wild ass times in the teachers' conference room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies