Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:56 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post

I don''t get what's so hard about getting an ID anyways, if you can get to the polls to vote, you can get to the DMV for an ID.
Especially if it's free like the states instituting voter ID laws have made them.
Let's see. The DMVs in Virginia are mostly open from 8-5 M-F my exact same working hours. On one occasion where I went specifically to change out a KY license for a VA one their system was down so I was SOL. At the one near my house, parking is a massive issue so that aint happening. Plus there is confusing lists for what is needed. Tell a poor working person here to go to the DMV and they will say there is no way they can get time off to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 06:02 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post

I don't get what's so hard about getting an ID anyways, if you can get to the polls to vote, you can get to the DMV for an ID.
With all the free time that people will have as a result of not having to work (not being "locked into a job" for the health insurance), and being free to pursue whatever constitutes their happiness, I'm sure they'll have time to get to the DMV too.

The new normal. Thank you, Mr. President for this novel economic and cultural change... for the subsidies that will enable the people to be job-free and happy.

I just wonder where the money will come from for all the subsidies when no one is working. You didn't expect that conservatives would continue to slave at a job, did you? Or, are you counting on that?

Old 02-11-2014, 06:39 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
My state House Republican leader has made it perfectly clear that voter ID is about voter suppression. Your argument is with him.
Mike Turzai: Voter ID helps GOP win state - Mackenzie Weinger - POLITICO.com
Voter ID prevents voter fraud which helps the GOP win elections since voter fraud helps the Dems. Nice try though.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:46 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
My state House Republican leader has made it perfectly clear that voter ID is about voter suppression. Your argument is with him.
Mike Turzai: Voter ID helps GOP win state - Mackenzie Weinger - POLITICO.com
"has made it perfectly clear that voter ID is about voter suppression."

That is NOT what he said.

Ii never ceases to amaze me how how some can read an article and come up with such garbage.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:02 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,361,973 times
The Dim way, free votes

Old 02-11-2014, 12:46 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"has made it perfectly clear that voter ID is about voter suppression."

That is NOT what he said.

Ii never ceases to amaze me how how some can read an article and come up with such garbage.
Actually what he said was it would help Romney be elected. Presuming he meant voter suppression would be the reasonable presumption. There is no indication that whatever voter fraud exists in PA uses phony voters. Much more likely that it would be done by absentee ballots or stuffing the ballot box by other techniques.

So it would appear the remark dealt with voter suppression not fraud prevention.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:53 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I have a question..........If you as a American citizen, either born in the US, or a naturalized citizen, were ASKED to prove your citizen ship status...... How would you do it ? What document do YOU have that proves you are a American citizen ? And it can be used in any US state, not as a voter card, but to prove citizenship . I'm curious.

A birth certificate is useless, except to show that a person, with that name was born, on that date. It has no photo and no signature, to compare it to. A driver's license, is not proof of citizenship, as an alien can get one, in any state, if they are in the US legally. Neither is being in the US military, as a Green Card holder can serve in the US military , and many do.

Here in Canada, we have either a Canadian Passport, or a Canadian Citizenship card, with photograph and digitized signature on it. Either one is proof positive of a persons' Canadian citizenship status. And of course, when we have an election, guess what they ask for, before you can vote ? Proof of citizenship .

A link to photos of the Canadian Citizenship card.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=new+c...w=1145&bih=597

Stop and think about it.............What document do you have that proves you are a US citizen ?

Jim B

Toronto.
A birth certificate is in fact a valid form of citizenship identification.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:25 PM

307 posts, read 405,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
A US citizen walking down the street or otherwise minding his own business DOES NOT NEED to prove he is a citizen FOR ANY REASON - AT ANY TIME. Those who think otherwise need to speak to a constitutional lawyers. What they are doing in Arizona and along the border is absolutely illegal.

Republicans (who would otherwise be against any requirement for ID) are fighting for it because they are losing elections.
WRONG. we arent talking abaut stops on the street. we are talking about VOTING.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A birth certificate is in fact a valid form of citizenship identification.
But it is not a good document for identification or proof of the right to vote.

There really is no document that proves you are eligible to vote.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:01 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
I don't understand what is wrong with having to produce a picture I.D. to show that you are who you are, in order to vote. You have to have a picture I.D. to operate an automobile. In order to obtain a concealed carry permit. You have to show a picture I.D. to remove money from your bank account (unless you use an ATM). To cash a check. Yet people scream up and down no picture I.D. to vote. A picture I.D. not only shows that you are who you say you are but that you are a legal resident of the state you are voting in (in most cases). Or at least show a picture I.D. to get a voter card to show when you vote. I guess if you want to sway the vote with illegal voters, dead voters, opposing a picture I.D. is the thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies