Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:04 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

There really is no document that proves you are eligible to vote.
That's because our stupid government is allowing illegals get DL licenses. That used to be the way to tell because you had to be a citizen to get a DL. Visitors from other countries whether they are here on work visas or visiting, get a special document to drive, some states let them use their DL's from their country of origin. That has all changed now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 02:09 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I don't understand what is wrong with having to produce a picture I.D. to show that you are who you are, in order to vote. You have to have a picture I.D. to operate an automobile. In order to obtain a concealed carry permit. You have to show a picture I.D. to remove money from your bank account (unless you use an ATM). To cash a check. Yet people scream up and down no picture I.D. to vote. A picture I.D. not only shows that you are who you say you are but that you are a legal resident of the state you are voting in (in most cases). Or at least show a picture I.D. to get a voter card to show when you vote. I guess if you want to sway the vote with illegal voters, dead voters, opposing a picture I.D. is the thing to do.
Again the wrong argument. The vast majority of the illegal voters found in S. Florida by the media had photo ID. They were still illegal.

In NV we use a signature comparison. That is probably pretty good if the vote clerk actually looks at it. We had photo badges in my old place of employment...and one guy had a gorilla on his for a couple of years.

Dead voters must have a hell of a time writing their signature.

I personally believe there is some voter fraud. But virtually none of it involves misidentified voters. You stuff ballot boxes or gimmick machines or play games with absentee ballots. Much too complicated to use proxy voters in any quantity. .

Old 02-11-2014, 02:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I don't understand what is wrong with having to produce a picture I.D. to show that you are who you are, in order to vote. You have to have a picture I.D. to operate an automobile. In order to obtain a concealed carry permit. You have to show a picture I.D. to remove money from your bank account (unless you use an ATM). To cash a check. Yet people scream up and down no picture I.D. to vote. A picture I.D. not only shows that you are who you say you are but that you are a legal resident of the state you are voting in (in most cases). Or at least show a picture I.D. to get a voter card to show when you vote. I guess if you want to sway the vote with illegal voters, dead voters, opposing a picture I.D. is the thing to do.
If you are so worried about people using dead people to vote, make it so that one needs to renew their voter registration every 10 years. There just isn't enough evidence to make their a need for picture IDs to be mandatory. Having a birth certificate or a credit card bill with your address on it is more than enough to verify you live where you are voting.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:57 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If you are so worried about people using dead people to vote, make it so that one needs to renew their voter registration every 10 years. There just isn't enough evidence to make their a need for picture IDs to be mandatory. Having a birth certificate or a credit card bill with your address on it is more than enough to verify you live where you are voting.
But. But. In order to vote, you have to be able to prove you are a fat old white guy, don't you? I mean, you gotta have a picture ID for that.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:06 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
But. But. In order to vote, you have to be able to prove you are a fat old white guy, don't you? I mean, you gotta have a picture ID for that.
Personally I like to do mail in voting so I don't have to worry about making time on election day to go vote. And when I mail in vote, all I have to do is sign the back to verify it is me, no need to show an envelope my photo ID.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:22 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Hmm, it's only February and multiple threads by right wingers pop up griping about a problem that doesn't even exit. Must mean early Spring.
Talk about complaining about a problem that doesn't exist. Requiring proof of citizenship and age ( the two requirements to vote in USA) IS NOT RACIST!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:06 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
But it is not a good document for identification or proof of the right to vote.

There really is no document that proves you are eligible to vote.
In order to be eligible to vote, one generally has to register to vote and that requires some specified form of ID - for example birth certificate or passport or proof of citizenship. Once registered and on the rolls, the voter's name is checked off when s/he shows up to vote. It's at this point that they need to show an ID to prove they are who they say they are. If their name is not on the rolls, they are not registered. Some localities allow same day registration but documentation requirements should still be the same.

At least that's my understanding of the process in most places with which I'm familiar. Things seem to be changing dramatically, though, so I don't know how any election can be considered valid if the voters cannot or will not be validated.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:46 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
In order to be eligible to vote, one generally has to register to vote and that requires some specified form of ID - for example birth certificate or passport or proof of citizenship. Once registered and on the rolls, the voter's name is checked off when s/he shows up to vote. It's at this point that they need to show an ID to prove they are who they say they are. If their name is not on the rolls, they are not registered. Some localities allow same day registration but documentation requirements should still be the same.

At least that's my understanding of the process in most places with which I'm familiar. Things seem to be changing dramatically, though, so I don't know how any election can be considered valid if the voters cannot or will not be validated.
I am registered to vote but no one except me knows if I am actually eligible. The obvious reasons for being ineligible is a felony conviction or mental problems.

Many voters in NV joined the voters roll long before the Nevada DL went to requiring documents. I originally got mine by simply turning in a CA license.

At the polls I simply sign my name and the clerk compares it to prior signatures. Then I vote. No ID.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERSMVP14 View Post
WRONG. we arent talking abaut stops on the street. we are talking about VOTING.
This country survived 238 years with no need to have I'd to vote. The only reason it is being pushed now is because republicans are losing elections. Period.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:56 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Today (Saturday, Feb 8) Raleigh, North Carolina was host to a Moral March. Among the issues that signs were seen for:
  • advocates for women's issues and Planned Parenthood protesting what they see as restrictions on abortion,
  • representatives of the AFL-CIO backing higher pay for fast-food workers,
  • a gay couple from Asheville on hand to protest the state's recent move to define marriage as only between one man and one woman,
  • signs advocating the expansion of Medicaid benefits in the state,
  • teachers and children demonstrating in favor of higher education funding,
  • environmental activists and opponents of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, and
  • opposition to the new requirement that North Carolina voters show photo ID.
A little back ground:

And yet here are march guidelines put out by no other than one of the primary sponsoring organizations. It should be noted that many who showed up for the march were from out-of-the-area, and even out-of-state. Seems that in order to protest having to have a picture ID, you need a picture ID. No, not hypercritical at all.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bf96x3dCQAA5c_1.jpg

Again, sorry but, it is not racist to require picture ID, unless you are restricting that requirement to only those of a particular race.
Just shows what this entire faux outrage over photo IDs is about, it's about politics, and nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies