Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:59 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
This country survived 238 years with no need to have I'd to vote. The only reason it is being pushed now is because republicans are losing elections. Period.
Giving people a free photo ID in order to try to and prevent voter fraud, is somehow helping Republicans to win elections???? Give me a freaking break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 07:05 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Giving people a free photo ID in order to try to and prevent voter fraud, is somehow helping Republicans to win elections???? Give me a freaking break.
Ahhh here we agree. It is insane to give out free ID to avoid voter fraud - which does not exist.

So obvious you agree we should not waste the money on what is obvious Republican fantasy?

Old 02-11-2014, 08:48 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I don't understand what is wrong with having to produce a picture I.D. to show that you are who you are, in order to vote. You have to have a picture I.D. to operate an automobile. In order to obtain a concealed carry permit. You have to show a picture I.D. to remove money from your bank account (unless you use an ATM). To cash a check. Yet people scream up and down no picture I.D. to vote. A picture I.D. not only shows that you are who you say you are but that you are a legal resident of the state you are voting in (in most cases). Or at least show a picture I.D. to get a voter card to show when you vote. I guess if you want to sway the vote with illegal voters, dead voters, opposing a picture I.D. is the thing to do.
Driving, drinking, having a gun, taking cash out at the bank, are privileges that not every one is guaranteed. Voting is a RIGHT.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:03 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Driving, drinking, having a gun, taking cash out at the bank, are privileges that not every one is guaranteed. Voting is a RIGHT.
Having a gun is most certainly a right. Ever hear of the 2nd Amendment?

There are some restrictions on who can own a gun, but it's still a right. There are also certain restrictions on who is allowed to vote.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Having a gun is most certainly a right. Ever hear of the 2nd Amendment?

There are some restrictions on who can own a gun, but it's still a right. There are also certain restrictions on who is allowed to vote.
To keep and bear arms is a right. To have a particular gun is a privilege. That is the state can regulate it.

That is not what the Constitution says. But it is what the USSC says it means.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:13 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
This country survived 238 years with no need to have I'd to vote. The only reason it is being pushed now is because republicans are losing elections. Period.
Sure, it has nothing to do with the fact that we have a large illegal immigrant population, or the instances of voter fraud, or the fact that many elections are decided by the slimmest of margins and ineligible voters should not be the deciding vote.

If you ask me, it's insulting to insinuate that poor people aren't capable of obtaining proof needed to vote. How do they get jobs without ID? How do they get registered to vote without some proof of eligibility? I certainly had to show a birth certificate many years ago when I obtained a driver's license. I don't even mind if they allow people with expired or suspended licenses to vote as long as they have the ID and it was obtained by that person by proving citizenship. Nelson Mandela never seemed to think it was racist to require ID to vote.

Last edited by katygirl68; 02-11-2014 at 09:24 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Sure, it has nothing to do with the fact that we have a large illegal immigrant population, or the instances of voter fraud, or the fact that many elections are decided by the slimmest of margins and ineligible voters should not be the deciding vote.
There has not been a single rational claim that illegal aliens are voting. It is legal aliens who do.

If you don't want ineligible voters you would of course ban absentee ballots a major source of irregularities.

Never happens though. Absentees vote Republican.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
There has not been a single rational claim that illegal aliens are voting. It is legal aliens who do.

If you don't want ineligible voters you would of course ban absentee ballots a major source of irregularities.

It is actually the other way around. Dems vote absentee, republicans vote day of.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
It is actually the other way around. Dems vote absentee, republicans vote day of.
That is good to know.

So let us ban absentee ballots. Improve the process. After that we can get to local voting ID.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:54 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

The majority of absentees voting Republican are military. Are you saying they vote fraudulently? Not very likely in my experience. Military people are generally law-abiding, and not a homogenous voting group either. Many also vote Democrat, via absentee ballots.

I agree with your overall point that certain types of voting wouldn't even be helped by voter ID laws. But then again, it's left up to the individual states to set up their own voting apparatus. I sure wouldn't want a large state like Texas to use mail-in ballots like tiny Oregon does. Oregon can get away with it because of their small population, but I'd still think it's rife with fraud, especially in the local elections.

Voter fraud is happening, whether it's been proven or not. Many instances aren't even investigated because if the party in charge controls the whole apparatus, then who is going to bring charges? Think a Democrat is going to investigate Democrat voter fraud, or a Republican is going to investigate Republican fraud? My guess is not unless they were caught with their proverbial hand in the cookie jar.

So it seems to me that in this day and age, when photo IDs are required for all manner of things, then it's not inherently racist to require someone show ID at the polling location. I personally find it convenient because I'm not very good at keeping track of my voter registration card even though I get one in the mail every year. Now I can just show my ID and it's checked against a list in my precinct. Easy peasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies