Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 04:31 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Do you have a link to the story by chance? So they did not do any of it out in the open, including actually killing the animal?
The killing was done away from the public, the autopsy was done in an area where the public could view it if they wished.

Interview here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=vuxgAC0dWK4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 05:43 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,297 times
Sorry, I still think its a completely over the top tasteless spectacle on par with dog fighting, baiting bears, etc. The "educational" aspect of this is questionable. I worked as an autopsy tech years ago (another reason I can't eat anything mammalian to this day-- pig, cow, sheep, deer on the bone looks a helluva lot like a person) and even the most seasoned doctor would sometimes become squeamish during some of the more difficult cases.

This public display is downright gruesome. There is nothing "natural" about it. A man kept a wild animal in an enclosed area for a number of years, then killed it when it outlived its usefulness. He then butchered it in front of a crowd of strangers for three hours and threw the remains to other wild animals he had in the same enclosed area. Yep, sounds like my typical Saturday night all right.

If you live on a farm and make a habit of killing animals to eat them, that is a little different than breeding an exotic animal to sit around on display for gawkers and some highminded "educational" purpose. I will admit that I don't understand the zoo model at all. It seems very 19th century. Maybe this whole controversy will cause some changes.

Last edited by confusedasusual; 02-11-2014 at 06:01 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I would have loved to have seen this as a kid ,not because of the blood bu because I killed and cleaned animals starting at age 7 cleaning fish and butchering chickens all apart of life and no one should be sheltered from the process of life and dealing with where our food comes from .
It is Wrong to shelter the truth from people no matter their age the sooner the better .
The more it is a normal occurrence the less it is difficult to deal with it .
As it is people are frozen with fear when they get a paper cut " Oh my what do I do " teaching others to panic over something so other wise routine and simple to deal with.
Panic creates more problems down the line but that's too much for panty waste liberals. .
Seeing the majesty of the living body be it a fish or a giraffe is so spectacular i marvel at it even doing simple things like cleaning fish.
Parents that are upset should take a lesson, your immaturity breeds immaturity.

But you did not make a sideshow out of it.

People take their children to the zoo and the circus to enjoy and admire the beauty of the animals. It is an escape. Little kids go awwww at the baby animals. People bond with the animals from a distance. Noone is there for a food prep lesson.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Sorry, I still think its a completely over the top tasteless spectacle on par with dog fighting, baiting bears, etc.

I keep saying we as a world culture are disintegrating back to the last days of Rome. I believe it is the virtual reality aspect of tv and the media that has numbed people, everything from American Idol to Survivor. A world of numb spectators not thinkers. Yesterday's shock becomes no longer shocking and it gets upped and upped and upped.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:41 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Where's the uproar when we had to dissect Frogs in the 10th grade ?
In 6th grade we Dissected a CATS!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Where's the uproar when we had to dissect Frogs in the 10th grade ?
I'm quite sure we would have all flunked Biology including myself if the frogs were brought to Biology class live for observation for many days and then had to watch the teacher kill the frogs or kill them ourselves and then do the assignment.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's brutal but nature is brutal.

Actually if parents get their children a pet cat, it's very likely the children will see their pet torturing a mouse or injured bird before it kills it and rips it apart to eat.

This is not nature. In the wild, the lion does not have a human around to shoot game for them.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:19 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Couldn't they have gave the Giraffe away to another zoo to prevent genetic problems.....how about the ole snip-snip????

NOT LIKE THIS, NOT LIKE THIS............this gentle and very human-like Giraffe did not deserve this nightmarish end!

Old 02-11-2014, 07:21 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
What do people think lions eat every other day of the year?

Hint, it's an animal that has been slaughtered.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:24 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
I find this messed up. Yes, lions eat giraffes. But they do that in nature. They don't have a giraffe killed with a pistol and fed to them on a silver platter. This is not nature taking its course. This is people killing a giraffe and feeding it to lions.

If they did not want this giraffe to breed, they could have just neutered it. They took a creature out of nature just to kill it and feed it to lions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies