Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 04:45 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
A losing position? 10% of Native Americans have a problem with the name and they represent a minuscule part of the population.
Irrelevant. One person can't negate another person's feelings, thoughts based on sharing an ethnicity.

I present the two arguments again for clarities sake.
Argument 1:
Hey some of us native Americans and other people think the name is offensive, racist and demeaning to native American culture.

Argument 2:

Forget those people, we will keep the name because we want to keep the name.

This is the crux of the debate. I have listened to both sides and this is the crux of it. I just don't see how the team can hold out given the nature of their argument.

And given the reality that we would never tolerate a team named the Chicago black skins or the Detroit yellow skins. And there wouldn't need to be a poll taken of all black or Asian people to get why that is demeaning to some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
You answered your own question.

The other side's argument is basically forget those people, we will keep the name because we want to keep it.

It's all about pissing off people who they view as inferior and powerless. Everything else they bloviate about in defense of this "position" of theirs is just window dressing to hide this basic fact.

You should have seen the other thread about this recently … posters calling mohawkx "kemosabe" and telling him to "smoke a peace pipe," and announcing that no one cares about the stupid Native Americans anyway, and football traditions are MUCH more important than understanding a minority's issues, and hey, those Indians killed people, dammit! They deserve to be demeaned!

Ugh, just typing that stuff makes me want to take a shower.
Yeah, It's ugly, but anyone who reads or talks to those who self identify as conservatives for any length of time can't help but notice that a lot of conservatives are borderline bigots/racists.

They have very ugly views about race and about religion that can only be described as bigoted.

I have had conservative co-workers say because they believe President Obama is a muslim that he shouldn't be President because no Muslim should be President.

I have had discussions with conservatives where they say, they don't want their daughters to date an Asian guy or a muslim.

Heck remember the whole ground zero mosque fiasco?

I remember talking to conservative co-workers about the rights of Muslim Americans to practice their religion because they are Americans, but to conservatives Muslim Americans had to prove that they didn't hold certain views about Israel or America or their didn't have radical religious beliefs before they could be allowed to exercise their American rights because see in the conservative mindset this is THEIR country and those Muslims really aren't as American as they.

It is eye opening and they can't see how racist they appear.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
As a redskin, what anti-redskin slurs would you find inappropriate?
I'm trying to figure out how naming a team Redskins = a slur...

Old 02-11-2014, 04:58 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Yes, our traditions are more important than the feelings of 10 percent of .8 percenct of the population. Don't like it? Don't watch football.
It's a freakin' game, chum.

I love football. But I understand what's really important in this world.

If you don't, you're just another sad conservative who's not worth the oxygen it takes to keep you posting your tripe.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:59 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm trying to figure out how naming a team Redskins = a slur...
I didn't say it was. I was just asking the redskin what he would consider to be a slur.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:01 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I didn't mean to blame it all on congress, there are senators involved too.

Senators are part of congress.

"Member of Congress threatens...."

"US Senator threatens....."

Old 02-11-2014, 05:01 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Yeah, It's ugly, but anyone who reads or talks to those who self identify as conservatives for any length of time can't help but notice that a lot of conservatives are borderline bigots/racists.

They have very ugly views about race and about religion that can only be described as bigoted.

I have had conservative co-workers say because they believe President Obama is a muslim that he shouldn't be President because no Muslim should be President.

I have had discussions with conservatives where they say, they don't want their daughters to date an Asian guy or a muslim.

Heck remember the whole ground zero mosque fiasco?

I remember talking to conservative co-workers about the rights of Muslim Americans to practice their religion because they are Americans, but to conservatives Muslim Americans had to prove that they didn't hold certain views about Israel or America or their didn't have radical religious beliefs before they could be allowed to exercise their American rights because see in the conservative mindset this is THEIR country and those Muslims really aren't as American as they.

It is eye opening and they can't see how racist they appear.
Racism blah blah blah bigots blah blah blah racism blah blah blah racists blah blah blah.

That's about all I got out of that post. Same standard rhetoric with the same standard cry of racism.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:02 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
It's a freakin' game, chum.

I love football. But I understand what's really important in this world.

If you don't, you're just another sad conservative who's not worth the oxygen it takes to keep you posting your tripe.
And its a freakin name of a team.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Racism blah blah blah bigots blah blah blah racism blah blah blah racists blah blah blah.

That's about all I got out of that post. Same standard rhetoric with the same standard cry of racism.
I know racism what a petty little nuisance right? Smh

Old 02-11-2014, 05:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I didn't say it was. I was just asking the redskin what he would consider to be a slur.
If he does, wouldnt this mean you just insulted him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies