Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Urbanlife other than "it's what I want" can you give me one rational reason why a private bar owner should not be able to allow me to smoke in their establishment? That's what this all about isn't it? It's what you want. It doesn;t matter what the bar owner wants, it doesn;t matter what I want, it's what you want.
He believes you're a drug addict who should not be allowed to choose what you want to do. He believes he and the government should step in and choose the place where you can do your drugs. Just like Bloomberg wanted force people to eat and drink what he thought everyone should be eating or drinking because everyone is addicted to junk foods and we need government to save us from us.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:26 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They used to make it everyone's problem, but the situation has improved somewhat. There was a day when people used to smoke in their office cubicles, airplanes, buses, banks, post offices and every other place were non-smokers were (had to be). No, was not a choice.
Sure it was a choice. Office cubicles? Find another place to work. Can't? Your problem. Airplanes? Complain to the airline. If enough people complain, they'll ban it. Buses? Aren't they usually government funded as in public transit? Then yes, smoking should be banned on them. Same with post offices.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's a municipal/state issue and highly unlikely to change.

The anti-smoking thing is as non-partisan as it gets.

I have no horse in this race.
Agreed .Here most ban smoking because it loses them customers if they don't; as they can allow it if they want to.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:33 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Agreed .Here most ban smoking because it loses them customers if they don't; as they can allow it if they want to.
As it should be.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:41 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,760,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Right, it does. If they want to smoke and can't find a place, they can stay home. It's called the free market. Exceot now the free market cannot properly work, because zealots like yourself have decided that because you don't smoke, no one can smoke and all businesses have to be smoke free. Right?
Actually, people like him are just jealous and mad because they didn't come up with the idea of starting a smoke free establishment and making mucho money. So, now people like him wish to control other people because they have inferiority complexes.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:54 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
No, we are not confused. We know what the law is. We're saying that the law is wrong and should be repealed. If adults smokers of legal age want to mingle at a bar and the bar owner is okay with it, there's no reason why the government should be sticking there noises in it. There's no reason why you, a non smoker, should be against this when it does not affect you in anyway. Everyone should and could have a choice to do what they want without imposing on others, but one side feels the need to impose their views on smokers. I can understand a public ban on smoking where non smokers were being forced to inhale second hand smoke, but this is far from the case here.
Then challenge the law if you feel it should be repealed. You smoking indoors affects everyone within the establishment. That is unfair of you as a smoker. But regardless, states with smoking bans are on my side, but you are free to try to challenge those laws if you want.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
. But regardless, states with smoking bans are on my side,...
Exactly, we don't need a side. We need choices for everyone.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
But it should be my problem if you can't find an establishment that caters to your needs? LOL
Catering to your addiction isn't my problem.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Urbanlife other than "it's what I want" can you give me one rational reason why a private bar owner should not be able to allow me to smoke in their establishment? That's what this all about isn't it? It's what you want. It doesn;t matter what the bar owner wants, it doesn;t matter what I want, it's what you want.
Read a smoking ban law, that will describe it better than I could and will give you the legal reasons for it.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I don't confuse them, the laws are wrong.
Then challenge the law and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies