Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 07:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Ok. And when YOU and other smokers come down with a disease, which costs MILLIONS of dollars to treat, pay for it yourself. "We all have choices."
Well Phil people do things that are dangerous all the time. Riding bicycles in traffic, sky diving, mountain biking just to name a few. You would support banning these unnecessary activities as well?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Too many want government to impose their will on others^^^
Too many smokers want to impose their filthy second hand smoke on others, which is not only very unpleasant, but directly affects the health of those forced to breath it.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:56 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Too many smokers want to impose their filthy second hand smoke on others, which is not only very unpleasant, but directly affects the health of those forced to breath it.
You are not forced to patronize a restaurant or bar. Thus, you are not forced to breathe smoke if a restaurant or bar owner allows it.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:56 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Too many smokers want to impose their filthy second hand smoke on others,

I don't recall anyone suggesting we have a law making it mandatory a bar allows smoking, who is it again that is imposing?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
We have laws banning gay marriage, that makes it right?
No, that is a violation of a civil right, smoking isn't a civil right. Also a smoking ban doesn't mean you can't smoke, there are plenty of people who go to bars and smoke, you just have to go outside to smoke your needed cigarette, and in the case of Oregon, you can smoke all you want out on the patio so you can take your drink with you. Those are the most attractive bars because it attracts smokers and non smokers.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,280 times
ban smoking everywhere. most smokers are rude and irresponsible and leave their butts everywhere instead of properly disposing of them.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You are not forced to patronize a restaurant or bar. Thus, you are not forced to breathe smoke if a restaurant or bar owner allows it.
Don't ever visit a state that has a smoking ban, and you will never have to worry about it, problem solved.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Where does the usurping of personal liberties end? Is pop corn and coffee the limit?

20 years ago I said this coming and was laughed at, who is laughing now?
Personal liberties? Spare me. My right to enjoy clean air trumps your right to smoke where ever you want. You smokers have lost your sense of smell and don't realize it's just a nuisance. But hey, take it to the courts, I'll see ya there....

If they want to put a fat tax or health tax on unhealthy foods, then fine with me.

You have the right to be a fat ass or smoke if you choose, but in a modern society that has an actual cost to everyone since you don't let people die on the side of the road.

Quote:
Well Phil people do things that are dangerous all the time. Riding bicycles in traffic, sky diving, mountain biking just to name a few. You would support banning these unnecessary activities as well?
Don't be silly. How does your sky diving affect me like you smoking a cigarette in the same room would?

Quote:
I don't recall anyone suggesting we have a law making it mandatory a bar allows smoking, who is it again that is imposing?
Fortunately the majority of people don't like smelling like smoke and having adverse health effects. Why would WE be the ones to have to avoid smokers? It should be the other way around and it is, legally. PWNED

Old 02-10-2014, 08:29 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Personal liberties? Spare me. My right to enjoy clean air trumps your right to smoke where ever you want. You smokers have lost your sense of smell and don't realize it's just a nuisance. But hey, take it to the courts, I'll see ya there....

If they want to put a fat tax or health tax on unhealthy foods, then fine with me.

You have the right to be a fat ass or smoke if you choose, but in a modern society that has an actual cost to everyone since you don't let people die on the side of the road.

Don't be silly. How does your sky diving affect me like you smoking a cigarette in the same room would?

Fortunately the majority of people don't like smelling like smoke and having adverse health effects. Why would WE be the ones to have to avoid smokers? It should be the other way around and it is, legally. PWNED
Please, don't interject common sense into this issue. Smokers will lie, cheat, and steal to try and keep smoking in public. The vast majority of persons are against smoking: IN PUBLIC. That includes restaurants, bars, and businesses. No one cares if you smoke in your own home.

WE just don't want to smell and be subjected to the nasty habit you want to "enjoy." Not only that, I truly do not want to pay for your healthcare, regarding ALL of the issues involved with smoking. Pay for it yourself.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yep, you have a choice with which states you want to live in, and if a smoking ban bothers you that much, then you can stay out of the states that have them. I am sure no one will have hurt feelings with you never coming to visit.

Individual Freedom, should not have state boundaries.
That would make the Bill of Rights, mute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies