Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:37 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Personal liberties? Spare me. My right to enjoy clean air trumps your right to smoke where ever you want.
Again if you are unable to make the decision to enter an adult establishment that allows smoking you're not responsible enough to be there to begin.

Quote:
You smokers have lost your sense of smell and don't realize it's just a nuisance.
I hate perfume, when can I expect the perfume ban?

Quote:
Don't be silly. How does your sky diving affect me like you smoking a cigarette in the same room would?
I suppose if I held a gun to your head and forced you to go sky diving or enter an establishment that allows smoking you may have point however since it's your choice to participate in either of these activities it's irrelvant.

Quote:
It should be the other way around and it is, legally. PWNED
PWNED? Wasn't aware I stepped into a gaming lobby.

Quote:
They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Don't ever visit a state that has a smoking ban, and you will never have to worry about it, problem solved.
No thanks. (And, BTW, my city has a smoking ban. I don't want to smoke in restaurants and bars and, elsewhere, don't enjoy going to the few where smoking is still allowed.)

Let's see how you like this...

To gay people - don't ever visit a state where gay marriage is not allowed, and you will never have to worry about it, problem solved.

Let's allow states to make abortion illegal and tell women who want abortions - don't ever visit a state where abortion is not allowed, and you will never have to worry about it, problem solved.

Oh but that's different. Why? Because you like abortion and gay marriage. That's the only reason. Period. At least be honest.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Individual Freedom, should not have state boundaries.
That would make the Bill of Rights, mute.
You are still free to smoke in states with smoking bans, your individual freedom to give yourself cancer isn't being hindered.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Stay out of states with a smoking ban, that is also a choice.

Which state has a smoking ban?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No thanks. (And, BTW, my city has a smoking ban. I don't want to smoke in restaurants and bars and, elsewhere, don't enjoy going to the few where smoking is still allowed.)

Let's see how you like this...

To gay people - don't ever visit a state where gay marriage is not allowed, and you will never have to worry about it, problem solved.

Let's allow states to make abortion illegal and tell women who want abortions - don't ever visit a state where abortion is not allowed, and you will never have to worry about it, problem solved.

Oh but that's different. Why? Because you like abortion and gay marriage. That's the only reason. Period. At least be honest.
If you think smoking is the same thing as gay marriage and abortions, then you have no idea what you are talking about and are resorting to strawman arguments.

Marriage is federally protected, smoking cigarettes is not.

We have conservative states that have basically tried banning abortions, that just causes women who need to get an abortion to go the the next state over that isn't stupid.

So you live in a city that has a smoking ban, yet you haven't taken to the streets with your guns to protect your individual freedoms, I bet you also don't fire up a cigarette in the restaurants and bars to protest, you do what you are told and take it outside where cigarette smoking belongs.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Which state has a smoking ban?
No state has a smoking ban, you are free to smoke in all 50 states, that is why this thread is so funny.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
If you think smoking is the same thing as gay marriage and abortions, then you have no idea what you are talking about and are resorting to strawman arguments. :rolleyes
No, that's you.

Quote:
Marriage is federally protected, smoking cigarettes is not.
The Supreme Court has not yet ruled that states must allow gay marriage. (BTW - I am for gay marriage.)

Quote:
We have conservative states that have basically tried banning abortions, that just causes women who need to get an abortion to go the the next state over that isn't stupid.
That's what you're basically suggesting with smoking. Do you really not see that?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
No state has a smoking ban, you are free to smoke in all 50 states, that is why this thread is so funny.
We're using the term "smoking ban" to refer to a ban on smoking in certain or all businesses. Everyone knows we're not talking about a ban on smoking altogether. However, one poster HAS suggested such a ban and I'm sure some of the rest of you would also support one.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
No, that's you.

The Supreme Court has not yet ruled that states must allow gay marriage. (BTW - I am for gay marriage.)

That's what you're basically suggesting with smoking. Do you really not see that?
I said "marriage," not gay marriage. The Supreme Court has yet to include same sex marriage as being a part of marriage.

Also, you don't have to leave a state to smoke, you just have to take it outside.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
We're using the term "smoking ban" to refer to a ban on smoking in certain or all businesses. Everyone knows we're not talking about a ban on smoking altogether. However, one poster HAS suggested such a ban and I'm sure some of the rest of you would also support one.
I have no problem with people smoking outdoors, are you equally upset that you can't drink booze where ever you like? You should be able to crack open a bottle of booze in any business or public place you like or it is an infringement of your individual liberty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies