Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 05:44 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Kids who live with smoking parents do deal with smoke unwillingly. And yes, they face future health risks.
That's a whole nother subject though. We're talking about grown adults who are 18 or older.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:53 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Kids who live with smoking parents do deal with smoke unwillingly. And yes, they face future health risks.
That's an entirely different debate than what we are having here on this thread. Never the less, I'll go in to it a little bit.

Yes kids do have to deal with it unwillingly, however, legislation prohibiting smoking in homes with kids is useless, as the dumb parents would continue to smoke in house with their kids despite any future law, and smart parents are ALREADY smoking outdoors so that their kids health isn't adversely affected, no government intervention needed. It's the same argument with smoking in cars. The government has no business to stick it's nose inside our homes as private citizens. If you think differently, then I would ask you where does it end? Perhaps the government would like to stick cameras in all our homes to cut down on terrorism using the justification that "if your innocent, you have nothing to worry about".

In a supposedly free society, there are just certain things, certain risks, that we have to put up with. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 02-14-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osito

Kids who live with smoking parents do deal with
smoke unwillingly. And yes, they face future health risks.
In my opinion, the governments role is to effect change through education and informing parents of the dangers of smoking in the home.

Educate, don't legislate.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:55 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Nope. Increase smoking bans. In fact, BAN and make tobacco ILLEGAL. THE most vile, disgusting, nasty habit in the world is cigarette smoke.
And marijuana smoke, too?

Old 02-14-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, you agree it is harmful? Earlier you said only sheep believe such things.
I didn't say that either. In my uneducated opinion, it probably is harmful, that is just common sense. Is it harmful to the extent that it justifies sweeping legislation across the country? I don't know and I don't believe anyone does at this point.

And I called people who refuse to question things sheep. That's seems to be the way people are anymore. They believe whatever is popular to believe, never straying from popular opinion and taking everything they hear on the news at face value.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:03 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yes, we should all write a list of everything we personally do not like, and then have it banned and made illegal and jailable offence. Everyone should have to live their lives how I see fit.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
In a *******s mind, a cigarette is evil and a joint is "cool"

Personally I think MJ should be legal as well, because it's non of my business what someone puts in their body.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nobody would be pushing to allow smoking anywhere if it was invented today. NOBODY. I don't care how "freedom loving" you claim to be, you are arguing assbackwards about it. In fact, you'd probably want to put tobacco farmers in jail and users in rehab.
No see, us "freedom lovers" aren't busy bodies that have to stick their nose in everyone elses business. I believe in freedom of choice and self responsibility. You wanna smoke tobacco? Go ahead. Same with MJ.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:07 PM

80 posts, read 44,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
No, that is NOT my position. My position is that the study confirming that second hand smoke is a major public health risk, the study in which all anti-smoking legislation is based on, has been determined by a federal court to be flawed. Therefore, the truth is yet unknown because an honest study has yet to be conducted.

Once again, people do not have a "right to smoke" wherever they want except on their own property. No one on this thread has said anything to the contrary. Quit lying. Your attempt to muddy the waters and re-shape the debate is obvious.

Using your logic, I have the right to sue a city because they allowed toxic car exhaust to float through the air as I walked down the street.

You are assuming that you have a right to control the air wherever you go, and that is not true. That is a very arrogant assumption. Also using your logic, you should be able to walk in to my home, on my property and demand that I quit smoking in your presence as to not violate your personal right to breath clean air. Your "right" is assumed

I call them like I see them. In my experience, most anti-smokers are idiots who base their arguments not on fact, not on logic, but instead their festering hatred for smokers.

There are a few people who are just curious to see how someone might possibly defend repealing smoking bans. Their minds are still open and they can still be reached with sound, fact based arguments. Those are the people I post for.
Simple questions asked, and almost violently reacted to. Must be hitting a hidden nerve.

Since you obviously didn't "get it", I'll lay it out in even-simpler terms.

My position is that the air that the public is likely to encounter - in public venues, private venues open to the public, sidewalks, cafe's, stores, shops, etc., belongs to everyone principally for the purpose of breathing, and that nobody, not even the most addicted Nicotine fiend in the heights of a nico-fit, has the right to pollute that air wholesale and grossly, and certainly not with known carcinogens like tobacco smoke. Just like the water in a pool. No, you can't just drop-trou and let go with another scupper trout or two. It is the common good and health of the majority trumping the temporary conveniences of a tiny minority of people who have a grossly-disproportionate number of societal victims, i.e. fatalities, notched into their lighters and match-books.

No you can take your vape, your nico patch all you want in public since it doesn't foul the air and render it unfit for human consumption.

I am surprised, well not really given the narcissistic nature of smokers, that even today, thee are some who are unable/willing to see that, or respect the rights of their fellow mankind, but then, I am not a craven addict.

Re-read as necessary until absorptions complete

Old 02-14-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bridges View Post
Simple questions asked, and almost violently
reacted to. Must be hitting a hidden nerve.
Lol, keep dreaming. I've been having this debate for many years and your bozo ideas aren't the first I've encountered.

Since you obviously didn't "get it", I'll lay it out in even-simpler terms.

Quote:
My position is that the air that the public is likely to encounter - in public
venues, private venues open to the public, sidewalks, cafe's, stores, shops,
etc., belongs to everyone principally for the purpose of breathing
and your position is wrong. The air in my bar or any other business does not belong to you and you have no right to dictate what is in it, as you have no legal right to be on someone elses property to begin with.

You do however, have a right to control the quality of the air you breathe in any place that you have a legal right to be. These places include your home, your land, post offices, federal buildings, public transit, etc. You have no legal right to be in a business owned and controlled by a private individual.

Quote:
, and that nobody, not even the most addicted Nicotine fiend in the heights of a
nico-fit, has the right to pollute that air wholesale and grossly, and certainly
not with known carcinogens like tobacco smoke. Just like the water in a pool.
No, you can't just drop-trou and let go with another scupper trout or two. It is
the common good and health of the majority trumping the temporary conveniences
of a tiny minority of people who have a grossly-disproportionate number of
societal victims, i.e. fatalities, notched into their lighters and match-books.
Your language and phraseology demonstrates an obvious bias and prejudice towards smokers which disqualifies you from participating in this debate in a meaningful and honest way. For that reason it would be useless for me to respond to your drivel after this post, and I'll not do so again.

Quote:

I am surprised, well not really given the narcissistic nature of smokers,
that even today, thee are some who are unable/willing to see that,
or respect the rights of their fellow mankind,
but then, I am not a craven addict.

Re-read as necessary until absorptions complete
Your argument would be valid if in fact you had the right to control the air you breathe wherever you decide to go, but that right does not exist. it is falsely assumed on your part.

Again, using your faulty logic, I would have a right to sue a city for allowing toxic gasses from cars to float through the air as I walked, poisoning the air the general public is likely to encounter and rendering it unfit for human consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies