Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 05:12 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bridges View Post
I never met a smoker whoever had the least concern for others, or a smoker that didn't stink. I am not saying it is impossible, but IMHO, they reek.
Well, now you have!

Of course you just have to take my word for it, but I'm not all that unusual here in California... even for those who wouldn't otherwise be considerate, we have been bullied into having no choice. And as I've said earlier on the thread, I am fully supportive of the INDOOR bans throughout our state. Just leave me alone when I'm outside (safe distance from any windows/doors) or in my own car, and I'll happily oblige on the other rules. Deal?

Quote:
Body odor, and scents don't hold a candle to burning tobacco stench. Trust me, I know.
See, there's where my opinion would differ. For me there's nothing worse than certain candles & incense, since my allergies are immediately triggered by anything floral-scented... and having worked in public libraries (including one in SF) for almost a decade, I've also smelled some body odors that would make you GAG. Literally. And I have been a non-smoker too, so I'm not only saying this from a smoker's perspective.

Quote:
I wish you the best in your efforts, and fully support vaping e-cig or whatever option your chose. My ONLY objection is, and always has been, the inflicting of ETC on others by smokers. Eliminate that, and all is good.
Thanks, but believe it or not, there are people already fighting (and succeeding) to ban the eCigs! So I guess some people will never be happy, or just can't get past their desire to punish "smokers" - even when there is no actual smoke involved. Makes no sense to me, but then again, I've always been the type who tolerates almost anything.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:22 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Sorry you have the bad habit of not eating meat, etc. You have my sympathy.
No sympathy needed, I quit eating that stuff almost a decade ago, and haven't felt better... even lost about 30lbs within the first few months, with hardly ANY other changes (at the time). So if anything, my sympathy goes to those who still do eat meat & fast food. But to each their own, and I will admit to the occasional salad & fries from BK if I'm desperate.

Quote:
Trying putting your butts in your pocket, or in pocket-ash-trays.
In-pocket ashtrays? Never heard of such a thing. I do put them in my pockets sometimes, but then people like you would just complain that my jeans stink.

Quote:
I heard rumors about there being a smoker somewhere who didn't throw butts on the ground, but until now, I didn't believe it!!! Oh wait, you said almost never.

Oh well, I almost never....... in the nose..
When I say almost never, I mean it is a VERY rare occasion. Probably 99% of my smoking is done either in my car (ashtray), on my balcony (ashtray), or behind the library where I work - and when it's the latter, I collect any butts left behind about once a day, to throw them in the garbage. Sometimes I even pick up cigarettes that aren't mine, just to keep that patio area clean for everyone else. I know you just can't BELIEVE a smoker could be a considerate person, but that's like saying a drinker can't ever drive sober. We can, they can, get over it.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:41 PM

80 posts, read 44,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No sympathy needed, I quit eating that stuff almost a decade ago, and haven't felt better... even lost about 30lbs within the first few months, with hardly ANY other changes (at the time). So if anything, my sympathy goes to those who still do eat meat & fast food. But to each their own, and I will admit to the occasional salad & fries from BK if I'm desperate.

In-pocket ashtrays? Never heard of such a thing. I do put them in my pockets sometimes, but then people like you would just complain that my jeans stink.

When I say almost never, I mean it is a VERY rare occasion. Probably 99% of my smoking is done either in my car (ashtray), on my balcony (ashtray), or behind the library where I work - and when it's the latter, I collect any butts left behind about once a day, to throw them in the garbage. Sometimes I even pick up cigarettes that aren't mine, just to keep that patio area clean for everyone else. I know you just can't BELIEVE a smoker could be a considerate person, but that's like saying a drinker can't ever drive sober. We can, they can, get over it.

I don't want to call you a liar, and I'll take you at your word, but it seems to me when you get into debates like these, that the "opposition" is always, the one person in a thousand who has at least some respect for others. Seems a but "convenient" to me, but I am not going to contradict you, but you are one in a thousand.

Try a nice Costco USDA Prime Ribeye, and see if it doesn't change your mind!!!!!

Old 02-18-2014, 06:08 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
A far better question, and far more relevant to the times is

"Does any smoker EVER ask permission before smoking near you?". The answer, of course, is No, none, never, ever.
Sorry to burst your bubble but you are wrong. There have been several occasions in which I have respected others who didn't like to be smoked around and avoided smoking. There is one man that comes to visit us and he has to carry around an oxygen tank with him wherever he goes. I feel I have the right to smoke in my own home, and damn what anybody else thinks. When he comes to visit though, I would smoke outside or I wouldn't smoke at all while he was there.

I have also removed myself from social situations in order to smoke so that I don't offend anyone else and I always carried an ashtray in my vehicles because I can't stand when people use the world as their own personal trash can. I can't stand it when someone throws their fast food cup out the window, so why would I throw my cigarette butts out?

Myth busted.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
As a matter of fact, she already did. Smoked Parliments and then got cancer. Since she died, and well with 4 years working for Uncle Sam under my belt, it takes more than a smoker going croaker to get me to care. I reserve that for the innocent - they deserve it.

FYI, tobacco also killed my aunt and damn near took my cousin, who now looks like hell-on-earth, but still sucks on the **** like his life depends on it.
Quote:
Wrong. Cried like a child, which I was. But being "exposed" to so much of it has put it in perspective. I reserve my caring, my concern, my grief for those who deserve it - and those who harm others, innocent others, aren't high on my list.

Smokers kill and make ill and miserable, others. They are a pox and a malignancy. The vacuum created by their passing will NOT get filled with my tears.
That explains a lot. Now it all makes sense. Now I can understand how someone can have so much hatred and disdain pent up inside of them. I feel sorry for you. I'm sorry that you had to go through such a loss. I hope that one day, you can forgive your mother for leaving you at such a young age and that you can let go of all the anger that you are holding on to. Perhaps therapy can help.

Best wishes.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:23 PM

57 posts, read 79,504 times
Watching European TV I see lots of people puffing away in crowded bars etc, and not a single soul droppiing to the floor from ...what is it...second hand smoke?

All I gotta say is, the next time I get seriously ill, the heck with a doctor. I'm gonna call my congressman to treat my illnes. After all, who knows more about healthcare?

Old 02-18-2014, 06:24 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERSMVP14 View Post
Allow restaurant/bar owners to decide.
No

Old 02-18-2014, 06:26 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERSMVP14 View Post
Allow restaurant/bar owners to decide.
EF that!
If people want to smoke, then they can do it outside

It shouldn't be up to restaurant/bar owners anymore than deciding to bring their business up to building code or deciding if they want to pass a health inspection.

Good Gawd..............what freeking year is this people

Old 02-18-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
No it doesn't. It represents none of those things.
Actually it represents all of those things.

Quote:
. Property rights? You can't do whatever you want on your property, that's been going on long before this smoking ban.
A property owner should be able to determine what legal, recreational products can and cannot be used on their property. I am aware that the law doesn't give them that right, and that is where I dusagree with the law. I think it's over reaching, and should be changed

Quote:
Free market? How is that connected, but I think it's cute you believe in this "free market".
I think it's "cute" that you are posting on a politics forum and can't understand how the free market plays in to this debate. Go look up the definition of what a free market is. Wikipedia has a nice little write-up on it I think. In short, a free marlet system has to do with supply/demand, who can enter in to the market and who can't, and whether the government intervenes in those affairs. The more the government inserts itself, the less free the market becomes. The free market falls hand in hand with the concept of Capitalism. Capitalism cuts off it's own dead weight, that is to say, if there truly were a large enough demand for smoke free businesses, then smoke free businesses would be the norm and places that allow smoking would fall by the wayside all on their own, without the governments help.

Basically, people should be free to spend their money and their time at businesses that most represent their interests. If a majority of people don't want smoke-filled bars, then people will spend their money at places that don't allow smoking and the market will reflect that. If the majority of bar goers do want to be able to smoke, likwise the market will reflect that as well. Hence, the free market.

Quote:

Personal responsibility? Again, relevance?
It is your personal responsibility to look out for your own health, not the governments. If you are worried about how exposure to smoke might affect your health, than don't patronize places that allow it. Likewise, don't apply for work at places that allow smoking.

Take responsibility for your own decisions and health, and quit expecting the government to do it for you.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 02-18-2014 at 07:20 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
EF that!
If people want to smoke, then they can do it outside
Has nothing to do with smokers wanting to smoke.

Quote:
It shouldn't be up to restaurant/bar owners anymore than deciding to bring their business up to building code or deciding if they want to pass a health inspection.
Difference is, smoking is a legal, recreational activity.

Quote:
Good Gawd..............what freeking year is this people
The definition of what is right and what is wrong does not change over time. It isn't reflective of what the "popular opinion" of the decade is.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 02-18-2014 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies