Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Current US/UK Extradition Treaty be Scrapped
Yes -Time to Scrap the Current Arrangement 10 83.33%
No -Allow the US to continue taking people at Will 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 03:28 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,738,447 times

Advertisements

Has Britain extradited Akhmed Zakayev yet? Nope, did not think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 03:50 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,229,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I suggest you read and listen to the posts I have just posted. Very few are terrorist related and most people in Britain are sick and tired of this extradition treaty. If America wants to keep extraditing I suggest they do so on a level playing field between the two nations.

Most people in Britain won't even know what you're talking about, let alone care. You personally, are never ever going to be "extradited"! It is a one sided agreement, but British politicians are not going to rock the boat with the US right now, especially when we are inviolved in some BS wars together.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:01 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,155,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Most people in Britain won't even know what you're talking about, let alone care. You personally, are never ever going to be "extradited"! It is a one sided agreement, but British politicians are not going to rock the boat with the US right now, especially when we are inviolved in some BS wars together.
The current extradition is very unpopular and has made national headline news numerous times over the last decade and is still subject to much criticism from many within Parliament.

Whilst Yvonne Cooper the Shadow Home Secretary has expressed series reservations about the treaty, as have people like Keith Vaz, David Davies and numerous others, and it has nothing to do with rocking the boat and more to do with appealing to the electorate who politicians rely upon.

In terms of you personally, I really don't understand why somebody who doesn't even live here and has chosen to leave this country, is so obsessed with this country. In terms of extradition I may indeed never be extradited but where you live you have even less chance of being extradited the other way.

I personally fully support any campaign to change the current law and really don't care what those who don't live here and who the current unfair extradition doesn't apply to think.

Last edited by Bamford; 02-14-2014 at 05:18 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Has Britain extradited Akhmed Zakayev yet? Nope, did not think so.
Has Russia extradited Andrey Lugovoy yet, nope don't think so.

The Russian Constitution forbids Russian Nationals from being extradited as far as I can recall.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:47 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,229,216 times
Quote:
The current extradition is very unpopular and has made national headline news numerous times over the last decade and is still subject to much criticism from many within Parliament.

Whilst Yvonne Cooper the Shadow Home Secretary has expressed series reservations about the treaty, as have people like Keith Vaz, David Davies and numerous others, and it has nothing to do with rocking the boat and more to do with appealing to the electorate who politicians rely upon.

In terms of you personally, I really don't understand why somebody who doesn't even live here and has chosen to leave this country, is so obsessed with this country. In terms of extradition I may indeed never be extradited but where you live you have even less chance of being extradited the other way.

I personally fully support any campaign to change the current law and really don't care what those who don't live here and who the current unfair extradition doesn't apply to think.

And the same is true vica versa. I am as British as you regardless of where I live, and my reasons for leaving (which is any of your business) has absolutely nothing to do with the issues we debate, or should people on this forum never ever discuss any issues or topics outside the UK? - you wouldn't have much to talk about would you?! I will still vote whether you like it or not, and it will hold equal say too

Old 02-14-2014, 06:51 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,738,447 times
Quote:
Has Russia extradited Andrey Lugovoy yet, nope don't think so.

The Russian Constitution forbids Russian Nationals from being extradited as far as I can recall.
My comment was to point out that Britain also plays the game of not extraditing people.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:07 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,223,992 times
It should be scrapped and I really hope they do scrap it. My brother is facing possible extradition at the moment but he ought to be tried by a British court.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
And the same is true vica versa. I am as British as you regardless of where I live, and my reasons for leaving (which is any of your business) has absolutely nothing to do with the issues we debate, or should people on this forum never ever discuss any issues or topics outside the UK? - you wouldn't have much to talk about would you?! I will still vote whether you like it or not, and it will hold equal say too
Moderator cut: Personal Attack The only thing I care about is my country and the fact that extradition with the US is currently one sided and unfair does bother me and I am more than entitled to point it out here and have joined campaigns to stop citizens being extradited in the past.

Whilst a Forum Bar was added to the treaty last year but was not implemented and there are many in this country who would like to see a level playing field with the US in terms of extradition and in terms of other areas such as accountability of US Bases on British soil, although personally I think it's time they packed up and went home.

Last edited by Gungnir; 02-15-2014 at 05:43 AM..

Old 02-15-2014, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
My comment was to point out that Britain also plays the game of not extraditing people.
As I have already pointed out Russia won't extradite Russian Citizens and there is no working extradition treaty between the UK and Russia. It is very rare that any one is extradited between the two countries, but this is still better for British Citizens than the one sided agreement we have with the US.

Last edited by Bamford; 02-15-2014 at 03:59 AM..

Old 02-15-2014, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
It should be scrapped and I really hope they do scrap it. My brother is facing possible extradition at the moment but he ought to be tried by a British court.
I hope your brother wins his case and any court case is before your countries own Courts. However this is unlikely given the aggressive way the US extradites and as for US Plea Bargaining it is a disgrace, as pointed out by David Davies in the initial videos I posted. Best of Luck to your brother though.

Last edited by Bamford; 02-15-2014 at 03:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies