Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:58 AM

10,582 posts, read 9,753,561 times

Advertisements

I know, it sounds like something out of George Orwell's "1984", or maybe out of an Ayn Rand book.

But it's there in black and white.

Obama has once again changed the Obamacare law without benefit of any vote of Congress, moving the Employer mandate back yet another year to 2016. And he's also added something never before seen in the history of the United States: Employers who want to lay off or fire workers, must first justify to the IRS that he has "bona fide" reasons for doing so.

Even in Ayn Rand's wildest fancies, the governments in her novels never did this until just before the total collapse of the country.

And her novels were fiction. But in the United States under Barack Obama, they are now fact.

You voted for it, America. Or at least, you voted for Obama, and trusted him.

And voting his party out of Congress this November, will no longer help. He isn't waiting for Congress to send bills to his desk. He has a pen, and a phone. And he seems to feel he needs nothing else.

From the IRS website, hot off the presses:

Quote:
Questions and Answers on Employer Shared Responsibility Provisions Under the Affordable Care Act

34. Is additional transition relief available for employers with at least 50 but fewer than 100 full-time employees (including full-time equivalents)?

(snip)

In order to be eligible for the relief, an employer must certify that it meets the following conditions:

(snip)

During the period beginning on Febr. 9, 2014 and ending on Dec. 31, 2014, the employer may not reduce the size of its workforce or the overall hours of service of its employees in order to qualify for the transition relief. However, an employer that reduces workforce size or overall hours of service for bona fide business reasons is still eligible for the relief.
Yep. That just started this last Sunday. With no warning or notification. And it's in effect NOW.

Admittedly, I'm getting old, and my copy of the Constitution is sort of old and tattered, and can be hard to read at times.

Can someone point out to me where it says that the Fed govt has the power to forbid employers to lay off people or fire them?

After decades of jeering, screeching, denigration, and insults from our brethern of the southpaw persuasion... it turns out that Ayn Rand was right.

Who knew that Barack Obama was one of her most faithful readers?

Just one thing, Barry: Her book was meant to be a warning, not a how-to manual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 12:01 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,753,561 times
Of course, the way he has written this new edict, it's only for employers of a certain size, and for only a certain period of time.

What are the chances that, once Americans are used to government having this new power in a limited way, the next steps will be to broaden its reach just a little? Maybe on Dec. 30, 2014, change the ending date by just a few numbers? Won't be any big deal, just ask him.

And maybe a little later, expand it to include companies with 200 employees, hey it's not much of a change....

Old 02-11-2014, 12:03 PM

15,484 posts, read 10,406,422 times
Every time he does this, he's admitting failure. It also provides fuel for the fire that ACA is not the same law passed by congress. Even though there were provisions for change written into the act, it's looking like the act no longer has status. I think they may have screwed themselves, I'm looking forward to all the lawsuits.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:03 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,945,506 times
If I owned multiple operations or establishments, I believe I'd set up each one today as a separate corporation.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:05 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,392,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Obama is the Bernie Madoff of Politics. Before he became President he was broke. Today he's a multimillionaire and put more middle class families on food stamps and poverty than any other President in history.

A worthless President, and America knows it. Even the slobbering liberal left. They're just to embarrassed to admit it.

You got that right in a nutshell. How many of us could see right thru to Obama's lies and his fairy-tale lines. With that planted fake smile, fancy smancy lies, all along knowing what his intentions really were.

This President does not give a rat's azz about our middle class families, who so many for the first time in their life, had to receive food stamps. And our Poor, he has totally forgotten about.

He is a President who beats to the tune of his own drum, his way and to hell with what you or I think.

He is the most arrogant gosh damn bullish President ever, who truly does not give a damn about his people. All of us. He had an agenda oh boy, and he is sticking to this agenda. He is screwing with so many of our lives and our businesses. Never trusted this person, never will, and he has given me reason time and time again, to never trust in him. Obama, if you like your current health care plan, you can keep it, if you like your Doctor, you can keep him. What the fudge part of this was the damn truth.
He is a lying deceitful Person Period, who lies his way out of things negative. And gosh forbid anyone dare stand in his way. We have seen what he can do . And the saddest thing is, afraid he is not done yet

And nope I believe his naïve, ignorant supporters, are not embarrassed by him you see these are the very people he has counted on, and to our dismay, have not disappointed him..

Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,527,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post

Of course the IRS wants everybody to keep working. They take the money.
^ seems a tad bizarre.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM

34,264 posts, read 19,262,582 times
wow an amazing amount of hoopla over nothing. This sort of language is in other laws and rules as well dealing with mass layoffs for example.

Overall you're all getting excited over nothing. Sigh. If you're reducing headcount, you can't list the reason as "we're doing it to fark with a law we dont like" instead you pick some other reason. And you're good to go.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:13 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,945,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
wow an amazing amount of hoopla over nothing. This sort of language is in other laws and rules as well dealing with mass layoffs for example.

Overall you're all getting excited over nothing. Sigh. If you're reducing headcount, you can't list the reason as "we're doing it to fark with a law we dont like" instead you pick some other reason. And you're good to go.
So you encourage lying to avoid a bad law ?

Old 02-11-2014, 12:14 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,414,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
How is it a punishment? Delaying is a favor to them. Not delaying is putting into effect what was going to be put into effect in the first place.

Why have it at all, unless your intention was to tax the middle class out of existence, to begin with.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:15 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,644,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I know, it sounds like something out of George Orwell's "1984", or maybe out of an Ayn Rand book.

But it's there in black and white.

Obama has once again changed the Obamacare law without benefit of any vote of Congress, moving the Employer mandate back yet another year to 2016. And he's also added something never before seen in the history of the United States: Employers who want to lay off or fire workers, must first justify to the IRS that he has "bona fide" reasons for doing so.

Even in Ayn Rand's wildest fancies, the governments in her novels never did this until just before the total collapse of the country.

And her novels were fiction. But in the United States under Barack Obama, they are now fact.

You voted for it, America. Or at least, you voted for Obama, and trusted him.

And voting his party out of Congress this November, will no longer help. He isn't waiting for Congress to send bills to his desk. He has a pen, and a phone. And he seems to feel he needs nothing else.

From the IRS website, hot off the presses:

Yep. That just started this last Sunday. With no warning or notification. And it's in effect NOW.

Admittedly, I'm getting old, and my copy of the Constitution is sort of old and tattered, and can be hard to read at times.

Can someone point out to me where it says that the Fed govt has the power to forbid employers to lay off people or fire them?

After decades of jeering, screeching, denigration, and insults from our brethern of the southpaw persuasion... it turns out that Ayn Rand was right.

Who knew that Barack Obama was one of her most faithful readers?

Just one thing, Barry: Her book was meant to be a warning, not a how-to manual.

He's transforming the country one step at a time and Congress is doing nothing to stop it. In fact, sometimes they actually enable him. It's like the baloney game. Take one slice at a time, and nobody will object (even if they don't like it); eventually the last slice is gone, and we're standing there empty handed, wondering why the heck we allowed that to happen. But by then, it's too late and there's no going back.

We're the frog in the pot of gradually warming water. It doesn't really feel that bad, yet, so we don't do anything to get out. We wait to see if it really will get bad.

Folks, the government is broken and is not getting better and there's no help to be had from Congress.
In the meantime, Obama has his pen and all's right with HIS world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies