Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,288,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What stats have you been reading? California is not a paradise but its by far a better state overall than Texas. Its pollution and environmental record is better than Texas. LA and SF crime rate are better than Houston.

Its labor record is better than that fiefdom and right to work state BS in Texas.

The only thing Texas has going for it is if you're a professional, have the credentials or are highly skilled in some manual labor then Texas is good for you. It's job growth is two sided; their other side is low wage service sector without the benefit of any social services.

The Houston Chronicle is my source saying that while wages are up so is poverty? How is that in this "great" Texas miracle? Because the boom doesn't benefit the vast majority and what Texas is creating is an uneven economic development that is going to be WORSE than California. Houston is already an example.

The Texas miracle is a MYTH. Texans just blind themselves to it because they don't care about poor people. Their feeling is if you can't hop on the gravy train then tough luck. They act like growing income inequality and quality of life is not an issue for the state, its a matter of personal initiative. I'm so glad California doesn't think like that.

Texas will learn that relying mostly on private growth is limited.
Poverty rate in Texas is 16% while poverty rate in CA is 13%
That's not a huge gap by any means.

The poverty rate in DC, the nation's capital, is 20%.
Now that's something to get worried about.

(stats from the US Census Bureau).

And from Huffpost no less:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4233292.html
An alternative method of looking at poverty has found that California has the highest rate of impoverished people in the nation, according to figures released Wednesday by the U.S. government.

The alternate calculation, which factors in taxes, noncash benefits and day-to-day costs such as child care, means that California has nearly 2.8 million more poor people than the official poverty rate shows, with nearly one in four state residents being considered poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 02:32 PM

23,641 posts, read 23,958,138 times
Quote:
It's also silly how people do not understand just how California is light years ahead of others states. It's in ask it slump right now but even in its worse its still WAY better than living in Nevada or South Carolina.
Says who? You? LOL. What experience do you have to back up that statement?

I spent thirty six years in California, and seven (so far) in Nevada. I'm quite pleased with my decision to move. I have more money in my pocket, the people aren't so stuck on themselves and in this state, people actually still value their freedom.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
A Californian was most likely involved in designing the computer, software, and/or network you used to post that.
Yep. I'm using Firefox by Mozilla, which is based in Mountain View. Of course, I'm running it under a Microsoft operating system (Washington), on a Dell computer (Texas) with an IBM keyboard (New York). The data is traveling through a fit-pc2 (Israel) running Linux (Finland), and then through a SonicWall (Texas) and out to the internet at large.

But you're right - there was certainly a Californian or two in that mix. BTW, when did I ever say that nothing good ever comes out of California? I love it when you guys make such generous use of the straw man fallacy. It's quite hilarious!

Old 02-11-2014, 02:55 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,968,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Says who? You? LOL. What experience do you have to back up that statement?

I spent thirty six years in California, and seven (so far) in Nevada. I'm quite pleased with my decision to move. I have more money in my pocket, the people aren't so stuck on themselves and in this state, people actually still value their freedom.
There's no freedom in CA?

HappyTexan, right now Texas has the edge. I'm not disputing that. California is largely haves and have nots with a small middle class. It's working class population is huge. I've never seen a city like LA that has such a grand chasm of a gap between rich and working people. I think only NYC and SF come close.

The point is that the Texas miracle is not a sound long term policy. It's limited in scope.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Who said that??

(More straw men - I'm cracking up over here!)

Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
A Californian was most likely involved in designing the computer, software, and/or network you used to post that.

And as I'm sure you know, California is the #1 agricultural state. As such it has more farm workers than any other state, and farm workers tend to be extremely poor.

Finally, since you bring up charitable donations:

How charitable is your state? - CNNMoney

My state is more charitable than your state.
The first PC, named Alcorn, was designed and assembled in Boca Raton Florida in 1981 by IBM.
The operating system (DOS/windows) had its origin in the state of Washington.

With that said, Apple is a product of California.

Don't assume everything originated in California.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:08 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,435,596 times
Quote:
I love it when you guys make such generous use of the straw man fallacy. It's quite hilarious!

Quote:
Frankly, they're just plain better than you, and that must burn you up inside.
Nicely played.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:11 PM

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times
Quote:
What about "anti California hatred" by those who live in California, or who were born and raised there?

I'm sure you'd say that I'm an "anti California hater", yet I was born in southern California, and I spent the first 36 years of my life there. Am I a "flyover country conservative in a craphole state"?

BTW, those "flyover country conservatives in craphole states" produce your food, many of the products you use, and possibly the car that you drive. They make the machines which harvest your food, facilitate your "infrastructure improvement" projects and produce or refine the energy you use. They work for NASA. They're big in the technology industry. They give more of their income to charity than you, and despite your conceit and your obvious disdain for them, they'd welcome you with open arms if you were to suffer some sort of tragedy. Frankly, they're just plain better than you, and that must burn you up inside.
Yeah...that burns me up.

BTW...California is a leader in everything you mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I'm the OP and I'm from the metro NY area.

So nice try.

Btw, why all the bigotry towards other states?
"Bigotry?" Towards a state?

Lol...I think you're stretching the definition a bit.

Moreover, I never said your name once.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:11 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,435,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Don't assume everything originated in California.
I don't. That would be silly. Almost as silly as someone condemning an entire state just because they don't agree with its politics (and yes, I include the liberal Texas-bashers in that comment).

Old 02-11-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:

HappyTexan, right now Texas has the edge. I'm not disputing that. California is largely haves and have nots with a small middle class. It's working class population is huge. I've never seen a city like LA that has such a grand chasm of a gap between rich and working people. I think only NYC and SF come close.

The point is that the Texas miracle is not a sound long term policy. It's limited in scope.
I'm not trying to push that. Just trying to point out that Texas isn't as bad as so many portray.
CA's true poverty is probably hidden due to its generous welfare benefits.
And I'm not bashing CA for that. I don't live there and don't vote there.
What they do is up to them.

Just don't turn around and bash other states because they don't do what you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies