Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 03:22 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Except you're assuming, whereas we know your opinion for certain because you have said it.
My assumption is correct, obviously, because you've done nothing to rebut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 03:24 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
My assumption is correct, obviously, because you've done nothing to rebut it.
Your assumption is false because all felons are definitely not Democrats. I don't need to refute anything that you cant prove.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Considering that the purpose of a prison sentence is claimed to be rehabilitation, I've always wondered exactly why someone lost their right to vote once their sentence had been served. As far as I'm concerned, if a felon has served their sentence and is deemed fit to return to society, they should regain all rights that they lost when they were convicted. Yes, this includes not only the right to vote but also the right to own a firearm. For that matter, if it were up to me there would be no public record of conviction once the sentence had been served and therefore no discrimination because of a previous conviction.

Seriously, if you're going to screw up someone's entire life because of a mistake they made when they were young and stupid, you might as well keep them in prison. If the crime is severe enough to warrant the loss of all rights, then the crime is severe enough to warrant a mandatory life without parole sentence.
No need to read anything beyond this outstanding post.

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
No, they are criminals who failed to obey our laws and act like good citizens. This just opens the door for more lawlessness for future generations.
No, They are democrats who failed to vote the way I like, and act like good citizens. This just opens the door for more lawlessness for future generations.

Oh please. No matter the crime they're still citizens, and should not lose the right to vote. I dont care how they vote.

Just opens the door for more lawlessness for future generations? Really? Thats one of the more insane things I have read lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Your assumption is false because all felons are definitely not Democrat. I don't need to refute anything that you cant prove.
Are you really this ignorant? I haven't spoken in absolutes, yet here you are building a strawman argument off of an absolute.

I will not debate people who are intellectually inferior and resort to this stupidity.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Considering that the purpose of a prison sentence is claimed to be rehabilitation, I've always wondered exactly why someone lost their right to vote once their sentence had been served. As far as I'm concerned, if a felon has served their sentence and is deemed fit to return to society, they should regain all rights that they lost when they were convicted. Yes, this includes not only the right to vote but also the right to own a firearm. For that matter, if it were up to me there would be no public record of conviction once the sentence had been served and therefore no discrimination because of a previous conviction.

Seriously, if you're going to screw up someone's entire life because of a mistake they made when they were young and stupid, you might as well keep them in prison. If the crime is severe enough to warrant the loss of all rights, then the crime is severe enough to warrant a mandatory life without parole sentence.
I don't necessarily disagree. But, giving guns back to felons? Is that really the direction we want to take in a nation where Democrats try their damndest to take guns away from law abiding citizens?

If that's not screw up logic, I don't know what is.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
I don't like this one bit. According to Holder:

The laws were not intended to improve public safety but rather "to stigmatize, shame, and shut out a person who had been found guilty of a crime."

The way I see this is Holder is speaking as a black man who sees blacks as being disproportionately jailed in America and thus disproportionately disenfranchised. What I want to know is will this open the door for violent felons to include the right to own and possess firearms as well?

It's Time to Let Felons Vote, Holder Says - NBC News
Oddly enough, there is some logic to what he says.
And most states have due process to allow felons to regain voting privileges after they have served their sentences and met parole/probation requirements.

However, Mr Holder's opinion does not override those several States' rule of law. It is simply his opinion, to which he is entitled.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
I actually dont see a problem with it. Someone goes to jail, they do their time, they get released back into the population.. they become a citizen again and should be allowed to vote.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I will not debate people who are intellectually inferior and resort to this stupidity.
That's why nobody talks to you. You've given no good reason why they shouldn't vote. That's all that I want to know.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asts957 View Post
Actually intellectually inferior types make statements like this:

There is no mention of "some", "many", "most", etc. Common sense would leave one to believe that you were indeed speaking in absolutes...
Yes, you have proven that you really ARE this ignorant.

Oh wait! I used the word "proven" again! I'm sorry. Too big of a word for you to understand. Especially when a link is provided to back up my assertion! Way over your head.

My bad. I'll do better next time in stooping down to your level. Since common sense is obviously not common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies