Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,129,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
People that hate soccer generally only do so because that's how they were raised. They don't have rational insight on the topic.
lol... my daddy raised me to hate soccer! thats just silly... rational insight of a sport? BTW did we really need soccer to come out of the closet? everybody already knew it was gay

Old 07-02-2014, 11:31 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier would argue that the reason you couldn't run sub 6 minute miles were (a) your focus was on sports played in the water, and (b) you hated running.

Running sub 6 minute miles takes some work, and you probably aren't going to practice it if you don't enjoy running.
I was a competitive swimmer from age 10-18. Sophomore year of high school I decided to try running for the first time and joined the track and field team. My first track meet ever I broke 5 minutes in the mile (well, the 1600 yard run). It's an easy transition from swimming to running (swimming being a much tougher and intense workout).

Old 07-02-2014, 11:40 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I was a competitive swimmer from age 10-18. Sophomore year of high school I decided to try running for the first time and joined the track and field team. My first track meet ever I broke 5 minutes in the mile (well, the 1600 yard run). It's an easy transition from swimming to running (swimming being a much tougher and intense workout).
OK. and you have proven Harrier's point.

You likely wouldn't have ran distance events in track had you not either enjoyed running or thought that you might.

The swimmer and water polo player to whom Harrier was responding clearly stated that they hated to run.

On Harrier's liberal indoctrination center's track and cross country teams, many of the distance runners swam during the winter (swimming was a winter sport).

Old 07-02-2014, 11:58 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
OK. and you have proven Harrier's point.

You likely wouldn't have ran distance events in track had you not either enjoyed running or thought that you might.

The swimmer and water polo player to whom Harrier was responding clearly stated that they hated to run.
I don't think I proved your point. I was simply making the point that for a good swimmer, running is easy, even without training to run. I bet if I went and took the top 20 male high school swimmers in Colorado that all of them - even the ones who have never run before and despise the thought of running - could run a sub 5 minute mile TODAY if put out on a track to race one another.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:39 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,436 times
Quote:
Given that the games that you develop are video/computer games, Harrier's question about such games being a sport was quite pertinent.
A game developer does not necessarily mean I develop video games. I do, of course, but game developers also have a hand in card games, physical games, big games, physical games, etc,etc.

So, again, the reason I decided to include the fact of me being a game developer is to lend legitimacy to what I was talking about previously. That being that soccer is a sport and sports are a sub-genre of games.

Also, no your question about video games being sports was NOT pertinent in the least bit because video games have nothing to do with this topic and I was defining how sports are games as their most basic levels. Video games had nothing to do with this until YOU brought them up.

Your attempt to derail this thread by bringing in video games is still confusing and uncalled for. This attempt has made you look foolish beyond belief because I've directly addressed your derailing questions and forced you back on topic.

Again, what do video games have to do with anything about this thread?

Old 07-02-2014, 01:19 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Like I said before, the vast majority of those bashing Soccer and those supporting it have never watched a game. It just another political football being kicked around.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:30 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Harrier would argue that the reason you couldn't run sub 6 minute miles were (a) your focus was on sports played in the water, and (b) you hated running.

Running sub 6 minute miles takes some work, and you probably aren't going to practice it if you don't enjoy running.
Oh, there's no doubt that if I wanted to get under 6 minutes I could have eventually. However, I'm saying that if an extremely in shape person can't just jump on a track and run it, what are the chances of the "average" 50 year old American being able to do so? Zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I don't think I proved your point. I was simply making the point that for a good swimmer, running is easy, even without training to run. I bet if I went and took the top 20 male high school swimmers in Colorado that all of them - even the ones who have never run before and despise the thought of running - could run a sub 5 minute mile TODAY if put out on a track to race one another.
Unless they run somewhat regularly or have run in the past I dont believe that.

Do you honestly think someone that has never swam before yet can run a <5 min mile could jump in a pool and swim a sub 5 min 500? There's no way.

Different muscle groups, need to create the neurological synapses, and learn the technique. It takes some time.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:58 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
lol... my daddy raised me to hate soccer! thats just silly... rational insight of a sport? BTW did we really need soccer to come out of the closet? everybody already knew it was gay
Thanks for illustrating my point that you have no rational insight, just insults. Since you asked, that means you haven't put any thought into this, your response is prepackaged and simply regurgitated. Thus, irrational, not based on logic. That's exactly my point. And yes, either your daddy or your peers taught you that.

By the way, the onion story is funny, as they almost always are. But it's not really making fun of soccer. The onion is smarter than that. It's mocking people that actually think soccer is a gay sport, like yourself.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,129,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Thanks for illustrating my point that you have no rational insight, just insults. Since you asked, that means you haven't put any thought into this, your response is prepackaged and simply regurgitated. Thus, irrational, not based on logic. That's exactly my point. And yes, either your daddy or your peers taught you that.

By the way, the onion story is funny, as they almost always are. But it's not really making fun of soccer. The onion is smarter than that. It's mocking people that actually think soccer is a gay sport, like yourself.
You're putting way too much thought into this and taking it way to serious.. I really couldn't care less. Take a lesson from the onion and try not to be so serious.... soccer's gay

Old 07-02-2014, 02:46 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
You're putting way too much thought into this and taking it way to serious.. I really couldn't care less. Take a lesson from the onion and try not to be so serious.... soccer's gay
Actually it doesn't take much thought at all to recognize dogma, from the outside anyway. From the inside... well, let's just say maybe you should learn from the onion and not be so oblivious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies